Second

In Time

After a month…

 

‘Oppaaaaaaa!’ Yuri’s familiar scream reverberated in the studio.

 

‘Can’t you see I’m at work!’

 

‘Oppa, You have not been answering my messages. You have not been picking up my calls. I don’t get to see you in the apartment any more. Too busy? Too busy to get me a date?’

 

‘Because it’s always about that. You disturbed me for such a shallow thing? This is the nth time you did this within a week.!’

 

‘You’re so serious. But seriously, no hook-ups yet?’

 

‘Arghhhh! You’re going to make me lose my sanity and my clients. Go away!’ as he forcibly push Yuri out of the studio. ‘We’ll have a serious talk at home tonight.’

 

 

‘Yuri, stop hiding behind Jae because I’m not through teaching you a lesson.’

 

Yuri sheepishly revealed herself and sat down on the couch.

 

‘You know why I can’t hook you up with a date? Because my industry is so small and news has spread like wildfire that my best friend behaves like a pig on dates. You know how difficult to build you up then you’ll just shatter it in one burp. You won’t get guys like that!

 

‘And it’s really annoying that you have to send me a voicemails, texts, and drop by personally at work just to remind me to find a date with you! Grow up! Jaejoong wanted to in but Yunho gave the ‘shut up’ signal and went on. ‘No one likes a clingy obsessed person like you! You’ve pulled the last string.’

 

‘I’m banning you from coming to my shoots unless you set an appointment. You are getting completely out of hand to the point you are annoying. You know what, so this one will surely get into you, I’m banning you from living with us.’

 

Jaejoong wanted to contest but quickly realised that choosing sides will make the matter from bad to worst.

 

Yuri slammed the door of her room and came out with a luggage.

 

‘Yuri-ah! You know Yunho is just exhausted. Yah! The two of you sleep over this and talk again tomorrow.’

 

Jaejoong faced Yunho ‘You went over the line. You should stop her.’

 

Yunho run upstairs and slammed the door harder.

 

‘Yuri-ah! You know he didn’t mean the things he said,’ Jaejoong explained.

 

‘Oppa, did you see the way he glared at me? I guess he’s right about me. I guess he’s right about everything that he said.’

 

 

That night, Yuri sat alone on the cold pavement with two beers on her hand though it’s pretty clear that it’s only her who's having a drink tonight.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________

After a year…

 

1 Message received:

 

‘Yuri-ah, how are you? Are you dating someone?’

 

Sender: Jae

 

Dialling…

 

Jae quickly picked up.

 

‘Oppa! I miss you! I’m ok. I am married with two children!’

 

‘Yuri-ah… you haven’t change a bit. You are still the wittiest and the cutest!’

 

‘If I am so cute then how come I am still single!’

 

‘Actually, that’s why I was asking whether you’re dating someone. I have this ruggedly handsome guy whom I want to introduce to you. Don’t worry, he’s not from show business or modelling circle neither. But Yunho knows him, he’s a common friend.’

 

‘Tell him in advance that I behave like a pig.’

 

‘Oh Yuri-ah, you still haven’t forgiven Yunho, haven’t you? Anyway, this guy is VERY eager to meet you and he wants the first date to be on Friday.’

 

‘Great! I’m free. You’re coming, right?’

 

‘Uhm… that’s the problem. I have a company dinner on Friday so I cannot make it so I asked Yunho to …’

 

‘No need for chaperone. Cancel the date til you are available to introduce us’

 

‘Yuri, don’t be headstrong. It's  time for you and Yunho to reconcile. How can the two of you survived a year without seeing each other. You’re like… bestfriends.’

 

‘Fine fine fine. Tell him that after he introduce us he can go… as in chop chop. I’m not sure how I would react when I see him.’

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Yunho came way earlier that the expected meeting time. Though he’s in a grumpy mood, he remembered what Jae said about him at least being civil with Yuri and be kind enough to remind Yuri how to behave on dates. After all, they are best friends… or at least, were friends.

 

‘This guy sure knows his way to a woman’s heart. Candlelight dinner in a garden full of flowers, fairy lights glowing on the trellis, and violinist by the side. And then surprise… his date was not at all he expected’ Yunho thought outloud.

 

‘E-hem’ Yuri made her presence known.

 

‘Not expect what?’ Yuri asked in a monotone. When Yunho was lost for words, Yuri smiled and said, ‘Just kidding! You’re right… he’ll be VERY surprised.’

 

Yunho was lost for words. He had not seen her for a long time and he almost forgot how she looks. Was her smile always so bright? Has her skin always glowed like that? He knows she has always been beautiful but has she always been breathtaking?

 

Yuri hugged him. ‘Yunho shi, I’m so sorry for being so childish and annoying. I’m not asking you to take me back in your apartment but can you at least start talking to me?’

 

Has she always hugged me like this?

 

Yuri broke the hug to examine his face, ‘Can you please say something?’

 

‘It has passed. I’m sorry too for being mean. I m…’

 

Yuri turned to the violinist, ‘You heard that! I’m forgiven. Can you please be kind enough to play us some music?’

 

The violinist cannot decline a request from the lovely lady and started playing Love Moves in Mysterious Ways.

 

‘Can you give me this dance?’ Yuri asked Yunho.

 

Yunho only managed a nod.

 

Yuri took his hands and placed it on her waist. She then wrapped her arms around his neck and comfortably laid her head on his chest ‘Yunho shi, I’ve missed you.’ The two swayed to the music like no one is watching.

 

Not until Yunho felt a hand tapping his back. Suddenly the music stopped and saw Kyuhyun. ‘Oh! A..a.. I am rehearsing her making sure she’s ready when she dances with you.’

 

It seems that it was not only him who’s breath was stolen by Yuri’s beauty. Kyuhyun was just completely mesmerized and Yuri returned it with a mutual admiration. When Yunho finally felt out of place and decided to stop the awkwardness he is in, ‘Ah… Kyuhyun, meet our friend Yuri. Yuri, Kyuhyun. You two have a lovely first date.’

 

‘We will,’ Kyuhyun replied courteously.

 

‘Thanks to you and Jae!’ Yuri mouthed the words as he begun his exit.