Woman in Black

UNDERCOVER OF DARKNESS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I woke up with the crazy amount of pain on my head. My sights were blurry at first but after a few seconds, I could see that I’m in a hospital room. The nurse came in at the right time. She told me to relax and waited for the doctor to check in and then she went outside.

. That’s the first thing popping out in my head as I start to remember what had happened. I don’t remember how I got to the hospital or how long I’ve been unconscious. All I could remember was fainting on the stage in front of everyone live on television, which, probably have caused a lot of stir at the moment. God I can’t take another rant from Ollie. No, please I hope he’s not here today.

The doctor comes in with the same nurse. He smiles at me blushingly, “It’s good to finally see you awake, CL.” He says in a friendly way and then he puts on the stethoscope, started checking on me.

“How long have I been here?” I ask with cracked voice.

“About 18 hours. How do you feel?”

I groan, “Uh, can you help me with the headache? I think it’s killing me.”

He grins, “It’s normal. It will disappear in a couple of hours.” He puts down his stethoscope and starts writing something on his note. “You had anemia. Your blood pressure was super low. Did you remember when was the last time you ate?”

I frown, “It’s not about the drugs?”

He tilts his head, “What drugs?” he says and winks at me. Obviously he’s been bribed by someone from my management to shut up about all kinds of drugs running in my blood system.

I shake my head and instantly rolling my eyes as I spot Ollie standing by the door, with his hands inside his pockets, his usual gesture when he’s ready to yell at me. He does look mad.

 

“How’s she?” Ollie asks.

 

“She’s fine now. The nurse will bring in meal in an hour. Let’s see if her blood pressure is stable till tomorrow morning, if she can do that, she can go home.” The doctor says and then he leaves the room.

 

Ollie sighs as he walks closer to me. I straighten my body and stares at him with sorry eyes, “I’m sorry-“ I say quietly.

He just shrugs and sits next to the bed. “You’re lucky it was not about the drugs. You really have low blood pressure and I managed to beg the doctor not to release any statement regarding any illegal drugs that can be found in your stupid body.”

 

“So what did you tell the press?”

 

“Exactly the truth, that you have low blood pressure and you were not feeling good the time we were on air.”

 

“And? What about the things I said?”

 

He shakes his head lightly and now he looks a bit more serious, “About that—we had to lie. We told the media that you’ve been having stress lately and been taking meds. It’s the best thing we could come up with. You gotta have to apologize to the boy though so things will completely settle down.”

I hiss, just the thoughts of it already annoy me.

 

“I will get some clean clothes from your apartment for tomorrow and come back later. Is that okay?”

“No.”

He looks confused. “Why?”

It’s dangerous.

“No. Just—don’t go to my apartment.”

He still looks confused and doesn’t really get why he’s not allowed to get into my apartment while he’s been doing that every now and then.

After that strange letter I don’t think I’d allow anyone to go near my apartment anymore. It’s just too dangerous. I might be watched right now. Someone from the academy sent me that letter. Someone who obviously knows something is coming after me, something bad. Is it Seunghyun? Did he send me that message? Is the UOD after me at last? Has my game of ignoring and dismissing them worn them out and they decided to wash me off their records?

“Ollie—“ I called him before he left the room. He turned around and raised his eyebrow, waiting for me to speak.

"Th—Thanks.”

He bursts into a chuckle but I could tell he’s flustered. “I’ll stop by the mall tomorrow to buy you new clothes. See you tomorrow. Get rest.” He says and left.

 

***

 

Thank God my blood pressure came back to normal. I ate the ty hospital food without complaining and took my meds accordingly and this afternoon they sent me home. Ollie has secured the backdoor of the hospital from all the paparazzi and reporters. He asked me to wait for him while he went to fetch the car.

I light up my cigarette as I step my foot outside the building. I had to cover up my face with scarf to prevent anyone from recognizing me. 

I see someone. There, standing across the street about 100 meters from me. A woman dressed in black trench coat, her dark brown hair fluttering in the autumn wind. Her eyes are covered in black shades but I figure they must be gazing at my direction, watching me from afar, observing. Just like what I’d do when I targeted someone. My heart suddenly beats faster as if I’m seeing a ghost.

The UOD. It’s her. She’s sent to terminate me or—

Ollie’s car whooshed and stopped in front of my eyes and blocking the view of that woman across the street. He opens the window and asks me to get in quickly because the paparazzi were following him behind. I turn my head to my left and finds he’s not lying. About ten people are running toward us carrying cameras on their shoulders, aiming at me. I quickly get in to the car and drives off with Ollie.

I managed to turn around to have a quick last look at that woman but she’s not there anymore.

“What’s wrong?” Ollie asks.

“Nothing. I just—I thought I saw someone.”

“Who?”

“Since when you care about my business?”

Ollie shakes his head. “I thought knocking your head off the ground would change you. I thought wrong.” Followed with a chuckle.

I smirk, “I’d never change. Remember that. If I suddenly become a nice and gentle person, you should question my sanity.” And then we both laughed.

I couldn’t stop thinking of that woman. And strangely it takes me back to one certain memory. It takes me back to years ago, when I was sixteen years old.

I was living with my foster parents. They were s. The father was a drunk and the mother was barely home, she worked double shifts. She’d come home in the morning and went to work at night. They both had anger issues. They’d hit me for anything, even nothing. My foster father, he could come home drunk and hit me for no reason. He’d call me names, bad names, he’d spit at me and told me I was a trash that no one would take me in except for them and I should be grateful to be living in their house. The system was messed up back then, I didn’t understand why I ended up being taken care of those people.

One day I couldn’t stand it anymore. I hit his head with a bottle of beer before he could get his hands on me. Once he fell to the ground, I feel something inside me, the feel of wanting to be strong, wanting to see him suffer and continue screaming out of pain. So I went on the top of him, with my bare hand I punch his face again, again and again I’ve lost count. As I see the blood coming out of his nose and mouth, that’s when I feel the incredible satisfaction I’ve never felt before. I never thought I was capable of hitting him like that but I did. It didn't stop there. He was begging me to stop as he’s lying there helplessly. I messed his face up. Then I started remembering those days when he locked me in the basement and freeze me and let me starve. I always wanted to kill him. So I reach his neck and strangle him. After twenty seconds, I heard the door open. My foster mom came home and saw us. She immediately called the police. I was arrested and sent into juvenile prison. My foster parents were also evicted for years of bullying, neglecting and abusing me. I didn’t know where they went. What I know was, after spending ten days in jail, someone bailed me out.

Seunghyun, he bailed me out. I remember his first appearance. He was standing there across the gate, leaning on his black sedan, dressed in all black and carrying a bag of Mcdonalds. I walk slowly toward him, unaware of who he is, not knowing what’s his intention on helping me or even taking me in.

 

“Your breakfast.” He says shortly after passing me that bag of Mcdonalds. I take a peek inside, a burger and fries.

“Who are you?” I ask him firmly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter