Monster

Sugar Sweet, Bitter Poison
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin sat on the couch and watched as his brother and father screamed at each other. Jongin cradled his school books in his arms as he sat on the couch and watched, waiting for the loudness to die down. 

It didn't however. Instead, much to Jongin's dismay, his father turned and faced him. “You want to be a ? Huh?” his father was screaming so loud it was almost unintelligible and he was so close to Jongin's face Jongin could smell the liquor on his tongue. “Dancing is for little ing girls.” Jongin felt his head being smacked repeatedly before he even saw his father swing his hand. “Are you a little ing girl?” 

Quick enough his open palm turn to a fist flying into his head and face. Kai was there again, grabbing the elder's hand and pulling it away. “Don't you touch him!” Kai screamed. 

“Get the out of my way!” their father yelled back. 

“Leave him alone!” Kai growled, shoving the man to the ground. 

“Get out of the way Kai, you're not weak like him, don't act weak like him!” 

Kai raised a fist, but Jongin didn't want to see another one fly. He couldn't stand the fighting so he jumped up from his place on the couch and grabbed Kai's hand, pulling it back before Kai could do anything further. “What are you doing?” Kai growled. 

“Please… No more.” Jongin whimpered, tears stinging at his eyes. 

Kai glared at his father, but listened to Jongin. He lowered his fist and grabbed onto Jongin's shoulders, leading him towards their shared room, not taking a single eye off of their father. “You're weak! You're nothing to me!” their father screamed as they walked away. 

Kai locks their bedroom door, though the chances of their father putting up anymore of a fight were slim. Jongin crawled into his bed as he fought his tears. He laid on his bed, squeezed his eyes shut and sniffled as soundlessly as he could. 

Moments later Jongin felt his bed dip and when looked over his shoulder he saw Kai climbing into the bed with him. “What are you doing?” Jongin questioned. 

“Shh… Just close your eyes.” 

“I'm not a kid anymore.” Jongin protested. 

“You’re still my little brother Jongin. I'll always be here to help you.” 

Jongin couldn't help but scoff. “You're older by only a couple of minutes Kai.” 

Kai chuckled, the sound warming Jongin's heart just a little bit. “I'm still older.” he said. 

Jongin smiled. His brother was good at making him feel loved, even when it was so clear that he was entirely unloved in this house. Jongin could feel his right eye flaring up, the surrounding bone was probably bruised from the earlier assault. 

The two laid in Jongin's bed silently for a few minutes after that. Kai was just glad that Jongin was alright. They were so close to the end of their time in this house, so close to freedom. Kai would give Jongin the life he deserved. 

Suddenly, just as slumber had barely graced Jongin's body, Jongin remembered something. “Kai,” he whispered, barely able to stay awake any longer. 

Kai hummed in response and Jongin yawned before he continued. “You're too loud at school. You should act more calmly.” 

Kai chuckled lightly and brushed a strand of hair out of Jongin's face as he finally fell asleep.

Kai stayed in Jongin's bed most of the night, watching, making sure Jongin was really and truly alright. 

*** 

“You should have told me.” Kai growled. 

“You weren't there, you were at football practice.” Jongin replied nonchalantly as he slurped up what was left of his noodle cup. 

“You could've texted or called or just came outside. You know I would stop everything if you needed me to.” Kai replied, still serious. 

Jongin shrugged, he didn't believe there was a use in fretting over the past. “I swear,” Kai grumbled, “I see that again I'll beat him to death.” 

Jongin watched as Kai's hands tightened into fists at his sides as he stared viscously out the window of the small convenience store. 

Jongin and Kai had been coming to this little store ever since they were small kids. It was like a safe haven from their home. The owners, a kind couple, were nice enough to allow them to hang out inside before or after open hours. Jongin always ended up sitting on the floor near the soda machine while Kai almost always stayed standing near the window so he could watch the traffic outside. 

“If Taemin ever, I mean ever, even looks at you, you come straight to me. Run if you have to.” 

“I'm not gonna hide from him.” Jongin replied. 

“Did I say hide?” Kai questioned. 

Jongin scoffed. “You want me to hide behind you. I won't do it. Taemin won't do anything, he's too afraid to, you know that.” 

This time it was Kai who scoffed. “Yeah? Nothing? Did nothing put those bruises on your arms? What about the scars on your wrists? Are those from nothing too?” 

Jongin looked away. He was grinding his teeth and if Kai had noticed he would've scolded him over it. Jongin wanted to tell Kai everything, but he knew that he couldn't. He knew there was hope of Kai understanding. His brother would simply explode in rage, fury and violence. 

Jongin thought Kai was too quick to violence. He understood it was the older’s way of expression, kind of in the same way that dancing was Jongin's, so he never held it over his brother he just thought, maybe, Kai didn't always have to go straight to the punching. 

*** 

Later that day at school, the moment lunch started, Jongin ducked out of his class and made his way outside to sit in the grass. He walked as quickly as he could without drawing attention and he kept his head down the entire way outside. The bruise around his eye stung and he didn't want anyone to see it, to ask where it came from. 

Jongin made it outside without having a single interaction with a single person and for this, Jongin was glad. The sun was shimmering brightly in the sky, even through the clouds that attempted to eclipse it. Jongin looked down at the bright green grass, watching the tiny, hardly noticeable, bugs wandering through it. 

It was then that sun was eclipsed. Jongin did need to look up, he recognized the shoes. “Jongin.” Taemin said-no, sang. “Why are you all alone out here in this field? Where is your brother?” 

“Kai is at practice. Which is almost over and I told him I'd meet him after he was finished, I should go.” 

Jongin made an attempt to stand, but Taemin wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter