Begin

Sugar Sweet, Bitter Poison
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He kept his head down, if no one saw his boiling anger, no one would continue. There was silence, Yoongi looked up, they were both still there. “What's a matter? You afraid?” one of them said. 


One of the boys reached out and smacked the back of Yoongi’s head, it didn't hurt so much as it just pissed him off even more than he already was.  His hands balled into fists before he had time to even register it. “.” one them, Yoongi couldn't tell which one, said. 


That was the final straw. If he learned anything from his stepfather, it was never let another man call you a . With that in his head, Yoongi immediately stood up and swung his fists at the the boys. The first one went down easily enough, the second got a single hit in before Yoongi was punching him over and over again. 


There was blood, a lot of it, on his hand before finally someone pulled him off the other boy. He was panting and his blood was rushing adrenaline through every part of his body. 


The kid on the ground was coughing through the blood in his mouth and one of assistant teachers was yelling for some to call an ambulance. 


Yoongi looked up at the man holding his arm and pulling him away towards the principal's office; he was clean looking, a middle aged man who appeared to have been fairly experienced in breaking up fights, judging by the way he pulled Yoongi away. Perhaps he was just good at keeping calm in the face of such an incident. 


*** 


Yoongi wasn't allowed dinner that night, he was sent straight to his bedroom where he was locked inside. “Again?” his stepfather's voice rang in his mind as he started at the ceiling. “I guess I shouldn't be surprised a failure like you was expelled.” He scoffed as he spoke. “You're pathetic.” 


It was that moment, that feeling that was inside him that inspired him to run away as fast and far away as he could. He stuffed a small backpack with a few t-shirts and two pairs of jeans and what money he had and threw open his window. He looked out at the dead looking lawn, contemplating if this was really the right decision. 


The ground looked far away from his second floor view and if his father happened to be in the kitchen standing in front of the sink, he'd immediately be seen. The chances of the old man being anywhere but on the couch were slim, but they were there. 


Yoongi pulled out the beaten up, completely worn out brown leather wallet and opened it. His mother's eyes shined in the photo inside, even though the picture was nearly as worn as his wallet. She was smiling, a sight Yoongi missed these days since she had passed. 


When he felt tears prickling his eyes, he immediately grasped onto the task at hand in order to stop them from falling. Before any other thoughts could enter his brain, he put the photo of his mother back into his wallet, tossed his backpack out of the window and began his descent. 


***


He barely had enough money to board a bus to Seoul, but still he made it. 


He had nothing, but what he crammed into his backpack when he arrived. He was just a lost 13 year old kid roaming the streets of Seoul in search of the life he wanted, the life he deserved. 


After his first three nights asleep on the sidewalk, with no money, food or water, Yoongi was taken to a foster care facility. They made an attempt to reconnect him with his stepfather, but when the old man claimed he wanted nothing to do with Yoongi, papers were signed and Yoongi was left to the system. There, he was forced from unwanting family to unwanting family, to school to school, everyone kicking him out the moment he made any signs of trouble. 


After some amount of jumping schools, the system put Yoongi into a prep school that specialized in ‘building up the perfect citizen’. Basically, they made sure every student who entered would leave as polished and pristine as humanly possible. Yoongi hated the entire idea of being forced to go there. They had a stupid uniform and stupid rules, but it was last one. If Yoongi managed to get kicked out of this one too, he'd officially be forced to the streets, and that was a life Yoongi didn't want to live. 


Yoongi believes there's still hope for him. He's in his last year of highschool and he's so close to being able to live alone. That's when he'll leave the foster system, became an artist like he's always wanted. Life will be better then, he just has to make it through now. 


*** 


The first day is always the worst day. That's what Yoongi has learned from every school he's ever been in. It's even harder when you’re new, the thought of all his own “first days” make Yoongi (almost) feel bad for all the kids nervously walking up the grand steps to the giant, intimidating entrance. That had been him once; he first arrived here as a sophomore, he felt small and afraid compared to everything around him. 


This was the largest, nicest school he’d ever been sent to. He was filled with worry over the fact that if he did anything wrong he’d be forced onto the streets, not to mention how absolutely horrible some of the kids were to him on his first couple of days. All it took for them to leave him alone was a single glance at the photo from the report against the kid who was still getting facial reconstruction surgery after what Yoongi had done to him over four years ago. 


No one bothered him after that. Everyone was too afraid to, even some teachers could barely approach him without displaying their discomfort. It didn’t bother him, Yoongi was used to being alone. In fact he was so used to it, he made an effort to make sure whenever people wanted to approach him, they wouldn’t. An angry glance their w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter