Chapter Thirteen

Arranged Love

 

It was a rare Saturday in the f(x) dorm where all five members were home with no schedules. A triumphant Krystal insisted that they watch Showbiz Today after receiving a phone call from reporter Kim Soomi the day before. Amber and Sulli were sitting on the couch eating some contraband snacks they’d hidden from their manager. Victoria and Luna rushed in from the bathroom with face masks on after Krystal pulled the maknae card.

    “Welcome to Showbiz Today. I’m Adrien Lee.”

    “And I”m Crystal Kim. Today we have a special episode for you.”

    “That’s right. We have reporter Kim Soomi with us today.” Krystal hushed her unnies who had started to squeal over the handsome Adrien Lee and turned up the volume on the television. Here it was, her moment of triumph and vindication. There is no way that Choi Siwon can get out of this scot free.

    “Hello sunbaes. It’s an honor to be here in studio with you.” Kim Soomi bowed to Adrien Lee and Crystal Kim.

    “I understand you have an exclusive story for us and our viewers,” Adrien said.

    “Yes,” Soomi responded. “It all started with an anonymous tip I received a few weeks ago and ended up being the biggest exclusive interview in Showbiz Today history!”
    “I’m so excited,” Crystal Kim said. “Is it about an H.O.T. comeback?” She began singing “Candy” cutely.

    “No,” Soomi laughed. “Instead it will shatter a few fangirl hearts.”

    “I’d love to speculate further but let’s watch the interview before Crystal-ssi explodes,” Adrien said with a smirk and a new scene opened.

    Krystal watched in confusion as, instead of seeing the television set as she’d expected, a house in Gangnam came into focus.

    “That’s Siwon oppa’s private home,” Amber blurted out. Krystal nodded, her confidence beginning to drift away.

    “Welcome everyone,” Kim Soomi said. “We have been invited here, to the home of a Hallyu superstar to get exclusive information on their romantic life.” The camera zoomed in on her hand as she pressed the doorbell. When the door opened the cameraman focused on the man’s feet and then slowly panned up to Siwon’s smiling face.

    “Welcome,” Siwon said and opened the door to let them in.

    “Did you know Siwon oppa was going to be on tonight, Krystal?” Luna asked. “Is that why you had us watch?”

    “Neh,” Kristal responded nervously. Things were not going the way she had expected. Now she was wishing she hadn’t insisted the members watch.

    The commercial break ended and the girls put all of their attention back on the television. The show came back to Siwon’s living room. Sitting on a couch facing the camera was the reporter, Huang ZiTao and Lee Eunhyuk. To the left was a chair containing Lee Donghae. To the right was a love seat situated a few feet from the open kitchen. Siwon was seated there and the camera moved slightly to focus on a figure coming out of the kitchen holding a tray filled with cups and plates of food.

    “Who’s she?” Luna asked. “She’s pretty! Do you think she’s signed with the company?”

    Krystal ignored her leader and stared intently at the woman on the screen. She almost gasped as her brain made the connection. This was the skinny witch who’d been with Siwon last week! Not only that, but she was in all reality, his fat, dumpy wife transformed. What witchcraft is this?!

    “Thank you so much for opening your home to us, Choi Siwon-ssi,” The reporter began. “I understand you agreed to this interview for a specific reason.”

    “Yes,” Siwon smiled and grabbed Haneul’s hand. “This interview will air at the same time as our Super Show here in Seoul. I wanted to announce to all of ELF that couldn’t attend the show something that I’m sharing with those in attendance.” He paused and looked at Haneul, squeezing her hand. “I've been married to this lovely woman for four and a half months.”

    The show once again cut to commercial. Krystal looked around the living room when she realized her members were all completely silent.

    “Oh Krystal,” Victoria exclaimed and came to give her a hug. “You poor thing. How could oppa have led you on so?”

    Krystal’s mind whirred. It would appear that at least one of her unnies believed Krystal innocent in all of this. Perhaps she could play up that sympathy.

    “I don’t know what to say,” Krystal’s voice quivered. “Oppa just told me to watch the show tonight. Why didn’t he tell me?”

    Before her theatrics could go on any longer the show came back on. Haneul was now seated next to Siwon and the reporter was ready to dig deeper into the subject.

    “I think we just heard the sound of millions of hearts breaking, Siwon-ssi,” Reporter Kim joked. “Did I hear you correctly You've been married over four months? Why wait so long to announce it.?”

    Haneul, Donghae and Eunhyuk laughed while Siwon flushed and Tao glowered. Siwon smiled sheepishly and again squeezed Haneul’s hand. “Well, part of it has to do with the drama I just finished. I was under contract to appear single until the show’s run was over,” he paused. “Also, well, we were arranged to be married and I didn’t handle the change well. I hid my marriage from my members in order to have one place that stayed the same.”

    Donghae broke in here. “Eunhyuk and I found out when we decided to drop by here to surprise hyung,” he chuckled. “Instead we got the surprise.”    

    Haneul started laughing. “They thought I was a fan who had broken in to make dinner for my oppa.” The reporter and the idols all laughed.

    “That explains why Donghae-ssi and Eunhyuk-ssi are with us today. They were the first to hear the happy news,” Reporter Kim turned towards Tao. “But why is Tao-ssi of Exo here?”
    “She’s my noona,” Tao said bluntly and then went silent again. The reporter looked around in confusion, unsure where to go from there.

    “After my parents died,” Haneul began. “My uncle sent me to live with their best friends in China. That would be Tao’s parents. I lived with them for ten years until I went to the US for college.”

    “And then when you returned to Korea, your husband works with your younger brother,” Reporter Kim said. “How lucky!”

    “Yes,” Haneul said with a smile. “I've been very blessed.”

    “Well, we wish you luck on your big reveal at the Super Show and congratulations on your marriage,” Reporter Kim said. The screen went back to the station and Sulli turned the television off.

    Krystal looked around as the rest of f(x) looked at her with compassion and a righteous anger on her behalf. Before she could formulate another plan for revenge on Siwon, a loud knock was heard at the door.

    Amber rushed ot the door and let in Lee Sooman and their manager. Sooman nodded at the manager who hurried off towards Krystal's bedroom. The SM CEO then sat down on the living room’s couch and surveyed the girls, all without saying a word. A minute later the manager returned and handed Krystal’s cell phone to the CEO.

    “Thank you, Jungshin-ssi,” Mr. Lee said. “Tell me the code, Krystal.” She gave him the digits and he unlocked the phone. After several minutes he looked up and glared at her. “I didn’t want to believe it was true but here’s the proof. Do you have any idea the possible ramifications of what you've done?”

    Krystal paled as her members stared at her. “What are you talking about, sir?” She widened her eyes in an attempt to look young and innocent.

    “Don’t be insolent!” he snapped. “It’s all here on your cell phone! Not to mention everything Siwon saved on poor Haneul’s phone.” Krystal shifted uncomfortably but remained silent.

    “Sir,” Victoria said. “Aren’t you attacking the wrong person? Siwon oppa is the one who led her on. We just found out now that he’s married.” Rather than waste his breath arguing with her, Lee Soo Man handed her the cell phone. Victoria looked down and began to read. She scrolled down, her eyes widening. Finally she passed the phone onto Luna.

    “Oh Krystal, how could you?” Victoria questioned. “What possible reason could you have?”

    “He was ignoring me for her,” Krystal said petulantly. “And you should have seen her when they first married. She might look like a model now… but then? It was humiliating to be passed over for that!”
    “I've heard enough. Krystal, you’re lucky that Haneul doesn’t want to press charges for harassment. Siwon brought the matter to me privately in order to protect his wife. You are now on hiatus,” Sooman began. “All of your schedules for the next six months have been cancelled. You will also be volunteering at an orphanage that Kim Haneul works with while she and Siwon are out of the country on the Super Show tour.”

    “But sir!” Krystal cried. Without responding the CEO left and the manager turned to look at the girls. The phone passed from Amber, who had received it from Luna, to Sulli. Krystal fled, locking herself in her bedroom.


“As ye sow, so shall ye reap.”