Shadow of a Doubt

Karma Café II (5 Years Later)

 

BGM: SHINee - Tell Me What To DoBEAST - Ribbon, CN BLUE - Can't Stop

 

“Hello Baekhyun Hyung!” Jeonghan, Karma Café’s new cashier, greeted Baekhyun in delight when the latter walked in.

 

“Hi Jeonghan. Why do you always look so pretty? I’m jealous.” Baekhyun wondered but the cashier pouted his lips cutely.

 

“Hyung, I’m still a man! I’m not pretty. Look, I even shaved my left side.” Jeonghan turned his head to the right to show Baekhyun.

 

“Well, there’s not much of a difference,” Baekhyun commented shortly and left an unsatisfied Jeonghan.

 

Baekhyun walked directly towards the coffee corner and met with Minseok.

 

“Coffee?” Minseok offered kindly.

 

“No way. I preferred kahlua,” Baekhyun snarled.

 

Minseok rolled his eyes. “Why is everyone craving liquor all of a sudden? It’s just the afternoon!”

 

“Because… life’s hard?” Jaehyun, Minseok’s assistant, interrupted.

 

Baekhyun chuckled with Jaehyun’s words. “He’s right. Anyway, so where is he?”

 

Minseok pointed to second floor, where Henry’s bedroom was placed, with his chin.

 

Baekhyun’s eyes automatically followed the latter's direction to end up staring at the same place.

 

“He avoided Henry’s questions and pretended to sleep, but the last time Henry checked him, he really fell asleep. “Minseok told the former waiter.

 

Baekhyun heaved a sigh. “Where’s Henry? Did he already call Sehun?”

 

“Inside his office and I don’t think Henry will do something before Luhan tells us what happened.” Minseok replied.

 

“Ugh! I hate waiting!” Baekhyun grunted and he went upstairs towards Henry’s bedroom, where Luhan slept.

***

“I can’t believe you said something like this Nainai! Luhan and I respected you but what just you said is completely nonsense!” Henry exclaimed intolerably.

 

Henry, currently pacing circles inside his office, was on the phone with Nainai, Luhan’s and his grandmother. He was not surprised when Nainai suddenly called him, but he was quite shocked with what Nainai was trying to convey to him.

 

“I just saw something and it turned out Sehun isn’t destined to be with Luhan.” Nainai spoke in a firm tone.

 

“You always told us God is The One to take control and you compelled Luhan to leave Sehun just because you saw… something?” Henry could feel his blood boil inside his body.

 

“Is he already in Seoul?” Nainai asked carefully.

 

“Yeah, and it’s because of you. I can’t believe you just let Luhan leave Sehun! They are so in love Nainai!” Henry yelled in frustration.

 

“I only want the best for all of my family, Henry. If I saw something wrong happen, I wouldn’t close my eyes and pretend everything is fine. I just told Luhan about what I saw but I did not compel him to leave Sehun. I said he can choose it himself. It was your cousin’s choice.” Nainai explained calmly.

 

“But you triggered it! You made Luhan think that way! If you didn’t interfere with their relationships, Luhan wouldn’t have come here!” Henry complained in seconds, almost disapprovingly.

 

Silence flooded the air between them for a while before Nainai spoke again.

 

“I’m afraid…  Before I told him anything or saw happenings in the future, Luhan was already thinking of leaving Sehun, Henry.”

 

“What? What do you mean Nainai?” Henry asked in appending shock.

 

“Perhaps all the love they showed to all of you wasn’t in fact all real. They had trouble and I think it’s wise for Luhan to come back to Seoul.”

 

Henry was taken aback by Nainai’s words. “Nainai, are you really serious?”

 

“There is disloyalty between them and I don’t think they even have a secure plan to get married. There was a plan but it was not being carried out.”

 

“What should I do?” Henry asked, whimpering like a kid.

 

“Now it’s time for you to take care of him Henry. Since you’re the only family that lives close to him.”

 

Henry muttered beneath his breath. “When I met them five years ago I saw them as a match made from heaven, Nainai.”

 

“Don’t worry. We never know what the future holds for us and what God is planning for us. If they really are meant to be with each other, they will found their way back.” Nainai consoled her worried grandson.

 

“Okay. Thanks for calling me and telling me everything.” Tiredly, Henry spoke.

 

“Take care for both of you, my dear grandsons. If Luhan finally talks to you, maybe you can suggest the idea of him coming back to Beijing. It’s been too long since his last visit.”

 

Henry let out a small laugh. “Okay Nainai. Please stay healthy. Wo ai ni.”

 

Nainai let out a soft snicker. “Stay safe too my dear Henry. Wo ai ni.”

 

The phone call finally ended, leaving Henry with certain mixed emotions.

***

When Baekhyun entered Henry’s bedroom, he found a mount of blanket with someone curling under it.

 

Baekhyun clapped his hands. “Time to wake up Luhan!”

 

Baekhyun approached closer and tried to pull the blanket but how surprised he was, as the blanket started being pulled back.

 

“Luhan get out from the blanket!” Baekhyun persistently pulled and with the amount of strength he was putting, he was sure that the latter was awake for sure. The push and pull of the blanket happened for a while, finally ending with a last strong pull from Baekhyun sending him toppling to the floor with the thick blanket now around his own body.

 

“Ouch!” Baekhyun grimaced in pain. At the same time Henry entered the bedroom.

 

“Baekhyun, what are you doing here?” Henry asked, then his eyes found Luhan’s to finally find him awake.Baekhyun slowly stood up and cleared of the dust from his knees.

 

“Wow, you look nasty, Lu. Did you even have a bath?” Baekhyun mocked with his arms crossing his chest.

 

Luhan shot a death glare towards the former waiter. “Shut up Baek.”

 

Henry rolled his eyes. “You choose those as your first words that come out from your mouth since you arrived here? Unbelievable.”

 

Luhan shrugged and put his head back to the pillow, his back facing Henry and Baekhyun.

 

“Okay, Sleeping Beauty, time to tell us what really happened.” Baekhyun climbed onto the bed and scooted himself beside Luhan, who stayed silent, while Baekhyun and Henry exchanged secret glances.

 

“Well… I’ll go downstairs and bring you some food, Lu. Baekhyun will be here and maybe you can talk to him. Don’t forget you helped each other before.” Henry squeezed Baekhyun’s shoulder lightly and walked out from the bedroom.

 

“Hey, you know me very well right?  I don’t like interfering with someone else’s problems since I don’t want someone do that to me. But can we talk? Do you want to talk?” Baekhyun tried persuading the Chinese guy, who used to be his Boss.

 

With no reaction from Luhan, Baekhyun continued.

 

“You helped me before with my dark past, from Changmin. I owe you with all my heart Lu. So, now face me and talk to me, please.”

 

It worked. Luhan finally sat up and faced Baekhyun with an unreadable expression.

 

Baekhyun chuckled. “I’m sorry but you look like a dead person.”

 

“At least I think I’m better than you in the past.” Luhan commented bitterly.

 

Baekhyun raised a sardonic eyebrows. “Yeah. At least you have no black eyes or any bruises. We don’t need another abused victim here.”

 

Luhan abruptly embraced the former waiter slash his bestfriend.

 

“I really missed you. I missed your sassiness, I missed Minseok’s coffee, I missed everything here!”

 

Baekhyun wheezed. “I… can’t… breathe!”

 

“Oh, sorry!” Luhan finally released Baekhyun from his suffocatingly tight embrace. Baekhyun rubbed the nape of his neck while Luhan flashed a tiny smile.

 

“How’s your life with Chanyeol?” Luhan asked.

 

“It should be me who’s asking you.” Baekhyun’s index finger pointed sharply towards Luhan’s chest.

 

Luhan pouted and Baekhyun breathed a sigh in defeat. “We’re fine. At least I think so. Chanyeol is really nice guy.”

 

“Of course! He’s supposed to be your knight.” Luhan commented while casually studying his nails.

 

“Yeah,” Baekhyun mused. “But I don’t know. Sometimes I think that I’m not alright with this new relationship.”

 

Luhan stared at Baekhyun in disbelief. “No way! You’re not still falling in love with Changmin right?”

 

“Of course not!” Baekhyun denied vehemently. “I mean Chanyeol is showering me with so much love and I just… I felt so grateful. But sometimes, a little side of myself still feels frightened. I remembered Changmin showering me with much love, but in the end? He was also the one who showered me with pain.”

 

“Do you mean that you’re scared Chanyeol will hurt you like Changmin did?” Luhan asked carefully.

 

Baekhyun paused and thought for a moment. “Yes. I’m scared, Lu. I’m scared to love someone too much. So that’s why I can’t fully return Chanyeol’s love. I don’t want to get hurt anymore.”

 

“It’s okay Baek. Time will heal everything and Chanyeol will be the one to be by your side and help you through this.” Luhan rubbed Baekhyun’s back in comfort when suddenly Baekhyun shrieked.

 

“Hey! You’re the one who supposed to be telling me something! What the hell are you doing here Lu? Where’s Sehun?”

 

Luhan stopped rubbing Baekhyun’s back and stared at the ceiling while murmuring. “I don’t think Sehun loves me anymore, Baekhyun-ah.”

***

“No job interviews today?” Jimin, Chanyeol’s younger brother, asked inside the car. Chanyeol currently driving Jimin to his dance school.

 

Chanyeol shook his head slowly. Graduated from college for almost eight months and Chanyeol is still unemployed.

 

“How about Jongin Hyung?” Jimin asked again.

 

Chanyeol raised a suspicious eyebrow. “Why? Why are you suddenly asking about him? You don’t have some sort of crush on him, right?”

 

If Chanyeol didn’t happen to be his older brother, Jimin swore he would’ve punched him right in the face down to his throat.

 

“Really Hyung, that’s why you can’t have a job! Why are you so shallow?” Jimin groaned exasperatedly.

 

Chanyeol frowned. “So why did you ask then? No, he’s on the same boat as me. Unemployed.”

 

“One of our dance teacher moved to Sydney and now there is an empty spot. Jongin Hyung should try it. I know the pay isn’t really big, but maybe he wants give it a shot before getting another decent job?” Jimin told his older brother.

 

“Why are you suggesting the job to Jongin instead of me?” Chanyeol complained.

 

Jimin let out dry laugh. “You? dance? C’mon Hyung we both know you can’t even move without breaking your limbs.”

 

Chanyeol sighed in defeat. Jimin’s right. Clumsiness happened to glue every inch of Chanyeol’s body, making him as stiff as a scarecrow.

 

“So, can you maybe give Jongin Hyung my phone number and if he’s interested tell him to call me.” Jimin talked again.

 

Chanyeol just nodded. He agreed with Jimin’s opinion. Jongin is an amazing dancer and Jimin’s offer is quite worth a try.

***

“Dance teacher? At Jimin’s dance school?” Jongin repeated what Chanyeol just told to him.

 

Chanyeol went to Jongin’s house right after driving Jimin to his dance school. He just told Jongin about Jimin’s offer.

 

“Yup,” Chanyeol answered as he sipped his banana milk. “It’s worth a try, Jongin-ah.”

 

Jongin thought for a moment then gave Chanyeol worried gaze. “I don’t know. I mean… Kyungsoo has a really stable and better job than me and a simple dance teacher won’t impress him.”

 

“At least try okay? I mean at least for now,  you won’t be stuck without a job and labeled as unemployed. I mean Kyungsoo will understand. Finding a job is just like finding your soulmate - not an easy task.” Chanyeol said calmly.

 

After graduating from MIT, Kyungsoo is currently working at LUXION Corporate, one of South Korea’s multinational corporate which works in a green real estate business and had one of their branches in Boston, where Kyungsoo now resided.

 

“Okay I’ll try then.” Jongin finally agreed with Chanyeol. Chanyeol’s right. At least he should try everything to chase Kyungsoo. To make Kyungsoo proud of him.

 

Chanyeol patted his bestfrend’s back lovingly. “That’s right, Man. Here’s Jimin number. You can call him anytime but not now since he’s currently busily dancing.”

 

Jongin nodded and saved Jimin’s phone number. After that, he asked his giant bestfriend.

 

“How’s your relationship with Baekhyun Hyung?”

 

Chanyeol’s face stiffened before he could even give an answer. “We’re actually fine. I love him but sometimes I can feel the distance he’s trying to place between us. And as far as I can remember he still hasn’t replied to my I love yous.”

 

“Really? Even after these five years? Do you think he can really forget the psycho guy?” Jongin asked with a bit of hesitance but caringly.

 

“He always assured me he’s not in love with the psycho guy anymore and I trust him but it just… I don’t know how to explain it. But Baekhyun seems to be holding himself off. Holding his feelings of towards me.”

 

Jongin let out tired sigh. “Hearing your story, I just remembered... It’s been a long while since Kyungsoo told me he loves me. Do you think he still has have faith in us, in me?”

 

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow. “Of course Jongin-ah! Kyungsoo really admires you and no way would he would dump you. He really loves you, okay?”

 

Jongin flashes a sad smile then he caught the time on his phone.

 

“Oh! It’s around 8 AM in Boston. I should called Kyungsoo.”

 

“Take your time,” Chanyeol yawned as he positioned himself comfortably on Jongin’s bed. “Anyway, before I forget, Henry Hyung called Baekhyun this morning and he said that Luhan Hyung returned to Seoul.”

 

Jongin froze in the moment. “What? Luhan Hyung is here? But Sehun didn’t say anything.”

 

“That’s the problem. Luhan Hyung just came alone without Sehun,” Chanyeol muttered.

 

Jongin and Chanyeol exchanged confused gazes with the news of one of their bestfriends.

***

Kyungsoo was walking down the streets in Boston. It’s already morning and time for work. He went to the nearby Starbucks to get some coffee before he goes back to his office, when his phone vibrated.

 

Kyungsoo took his phone out. It’s a call from Jongin. He cleared his throat before he received the call.

 

“Hey.”

 

Kyungsoo bit his lip at how short and flat his response to his five year boyfriend was.

 

But Jongin seems to have not paid attention as he answered with a cheery tone as usual.

 

“What are you doing now?”

 

“Just entered Starbucks and gonna buy some coffee.” Kyungsoo answered, feeling bored with the same questions being asked from Jongin everyday.

 

“Chanyeol is here at my house, but he’s sleeping.”

 

Kyungsoo let out small chuckle. “How are both of you doing? Any other job interviews?”

 

There was a silence before Jongin answered. “Nothing for now. But, hey… I got a chance to be a dance teacher in Jimin’s dance school…”

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. Really? A mere dance teacher job? While he was already in a multinational corporate.

 

“Um… yeah, why don’t you try it?” Kyungsoo tried to sound as normal as usual and he could sense Jongin squeal with happiness.

 

“I’m so happy that you supporting me. Don’t worry I won’t let you down. I’ll keep trying to find a decent job to match your steps, Baby. Please have faith in me ,okay?”

 

“Okay.” Kyungsoo replied shortly. “Hey I need to go now. I have a meeting soon and I haven’t ordered my coffee yet.”

 

“Okay Baby, fighting with your work. I love-“

 

But before Jongin could finish, Kyungsoo ended the call.

 

Why is finding  a job so hard for Jongin?

 

Sometimes Kyungsoo couldn’t deny that he felt that he’s in further steps than Jongin and he’s starting to underestimate his boyfriend. Kyungsoo shook his head.

 

I still love Jongin. His inner thought voiced out.

 

Really? Another voice entered his mind.

 

You didn’t even let him finish the ‘I love you’ before you ended the call.

 

Kyungsoo sighed as he walked to the counter to order.

 

“Hot caramel macchiato, venti size, and one blueberry scone.” Kyungsoo ordered.

 

“Okay Sir. On behalf of whom?” The barista asked.

 

Kyungsoo just realized the barista had feature of an Asian guy with blonde hair and smiley eyes.

 

“Kyungsoo,” Kyungsoo said and realized afterwards that he normally would have said Caleb as that was his western name.

 

“Korean?” The barista asked in Korean after  he wrote 경수 perfectly on Kyungsoo’s cup.

 

“Yes!” Kyungsoo exclaimed a bit too brightly and had blushed when he noticed his upraising tone. He lowered his gaze but he heard the barista softly chuckle.

 

“The total is $7.44.” The barista said afterwards.

 

Kyungsoo gave the money and after he finished paying, he moved to wait for his coffee.

 

“I’m Korean too. Im Hyunsik.” The barista suddenly appeared again after pouring freshly made drink into Kyungsoo’s cup.

 

“Do Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo replied as the guy already knew his name.

 

“What do you do?” The barista asked as he gave Kyungsoo his order.

 

“College and currently working.” Kyungsoo answered nonchalantly.

 

“Graduated from?” Hyunsik asked again.

 

“MIT.” Kyungsoo countered.

 

The barista named Hyunsik whistled which made Kyungsoo’s cheeks flush a deep red.

 

“How about you?” Kyungsoo took a chance to ask.

 

“Trying to finish my thesis and go back to Seoul.” Hyunsik grinned.

 

“Really? At what college?” Kyungsoo squinted his eyes in disbelief.

 

“Columbia. But currently I took some time off and work here.”

 

“What? You choose to neglect your thesis and become a barista in Boston?” Kyungsoo stared in confusion.

 

“My sister lives here and just had a baby and her husband works in Brooklyn. So, I help her too.” Hyunsik explained.

 

Kyungsoo just nodded understandingly as he finally realized he needed to go.

 

“I need to go now.” Kyungsoo said and before he realized Hyunsik took his coffee cup and wrote something below his name.

 

“If you want to grab dinner together.” He winked as he handed back Kyungsoo’s coffee cup.

 

Kyungsoo widened his eyes when he saw a phone number written on it.

***

Jongin sighed and ruffled his hair in exasperation. For the umptheenth time, Kyungsoo hadn’t let Jongin finish words of ‘I love you’.

 

You still love me right Kyungsoo? Even though you didn’t let me finish my words. Jongin thought sadly.

***

“Hey, Caleb! Kyungsoo-ya!” A girl with golden brown hair called him.

 

“Yes, Ms. Jung?” Kyungsoo replied well mannered.

 

“Hey, I have news, our main office in Seoul is currently out of engineers. So, we are thinking to move you there. What do you think?” Jessica Jung, Kyungsoo’s supervisor, gave him the news.

 

“Re-really?” Kyungsoo stuttered.

 

Actually Kyungsoo really wanted to go back to Seoul. But when he remembered his straining relationship with Jongin, he suddenly hesitated.

 

“You said you’re homesick and how your parents miss you so much and also your boyfriend.” Jessica set a saddened face, mimicking Kyungsoo’s inner despair.

 

Kyungsoo’s cheeks tainted a scarlet as Jessica spoke again.

 

“Now you got the chance! Don’t worry, you won’t go alone. I’m also moving there. People will finally call you Do Kyungsoo again instead of Caleb Do.” Jessica grinned cutely as she patted Kyungsoo’s shoulders in delight.

 

Is it really a good choice to go back to Seoul? Kyungsoo thought worriedly.

***

Finally it’s chapter 2! I’m sorry if I made your Bias as bad person XD but yeah like I said before more drama will begin approaching *wink* anyway I forgot to write their age, so Luhan-Minseok-Kris-Junmyeon-Yixing are 26yo, Baekhyun is 25yo (but he didn’t called the 26yo groups with Hyung and everyone understand with his kind of rude behaviour cause by his dark past story and Baekhyun continued it until now. No one argue with that anyway), Chanyeol-Jongin-Jongdae-Kyungsoo-Sehun-Tao are 24 yo. Chanyeol also didn’t called Baekhyun as Hyung since they’re in relationship and Baekhyun against it with long nagging he won’t seems old LOL The psycho guy who mentioned by Chanyeol and Jongin is Shim Changmin, Baekhyun's ex-boyfriend, if you have no idea read Karma Café first :) I just like Caleb name and i thought it will suit Kyungsoo well. Thank you for my amazing beta reader Maybe_Im_Me

Don’t forget to upvotes, subs, and leave kind comments. They made my day!❤❤❤

- secretyeoja -