eyes eyes eyes

scarlet strings ETC.

A/N: thanks twitter user @sonmyoui234 for recommending DJ 토끼's [미나/채영] 미챙 - Eye Eye Eyes [MiChaeng Moments 2017 - 3] to which i proceeded to watch no. 4 & used both as inspirations to this fic xD

thanks for reading & commenting guys <3

-----

Chaeyoung re-watches their v-app on her phone, and catches the annoying moments of Jihyo and Nayeon that totally went unnoticed by her when they were still live. She watches as Nayeon tiptoes behind her, asking “whose story it is” that inspired such a “cringey” song, as the members dubbed it. Chaeyoung doesn’t remember her saying that at all, perhaps focusing too much on the comments and making sure she doesn’t give too much spoilers for her first composition. She watches on as Jihyo turns back, responding to Nayeon’s question with a contorted face that points to Chaeyoung as the culprit for writing such cringe-inducing lyrics. Chaeyoung rolls her eyes as she leans back into her pillow, Jihyo obviously had a part to play, if her name were to be placed beside Chaeyoung under the credits to Eyes Eyes Eyes, yet all eyes were on her because she contributed some of the so-called cheesy lyrics.

Although it would have been a lie to deny that she was inspired to write the song in a certain way, for a certain someone. So it wouldn’t have been a lie to admit that Chaeyoung’s story did make up the song.

A smile flits across her face and she remembers.

---

As someone who constantly glues their eyes on their diary, Chaeyoung has learnt how disconcerting it is to have eye contact with someone, mainly because she understands that the “eyes are the windows to one’s soul”, and what words can’t say the eyes can. She knows how powerful vision can be, and doesn’t want to waste it. She is not arrogant, she is shy, on the contrary, and making eye contact with others put pressure on her – because she opens herself to be read, and she can’t help but read. That’s a lot to take in for a 19 year old idol, so she withdraws to words on paper in the blanket of the darkness at night to express what she has seen, and what she hasn’t.

She first comes to terms with the power of vision when Mina and her meet eyes while standing beside each other at an award show. She stares ahead as the announcer rambles on, trying to get used to the glaring stage lights and the boisterous cheers of fans. She feels a gaze down the sides of her body and heightens her periphery vision, realising that Mina was staring at her, staring with a kind of look that backs up the statement that Chaeyoung was her idol type during Sixteen days. Chaeyoung tries to shirk that thought to the back of her head because one, Mina can’t possibly like Chaeyoung that way, and two, Chaeyoung can’t possibly be falling in love, because what is that?

She shakes a little inside and timidly returns a glance at Mina, just to find a look from Mina that could prove otherwise, but as her vision starts to encapsulate the whole image of Mina, she chuckles and feels heat rising up to her cheeks. When Mina and her finally meet eyes, they break contact as quickly as they meet but the gasp in travels down to the pit of her stomach and churns in a strange way. She pens it down later on that night and wonders if that is what vision can do, or was it only Mina’s eyes.

---

Chaeyoung doesn’t realise it, but whenever they take turns to speak, she waits for the soft voice of Mina’s to come up and hears the way Mina tries to be funny and engaging for the members and her fans. She hears soft honey seep into her ears and can’t help but to turn to face Mina to acknowledge her efforts, returning a laugh after looking at Mina with a look that relaxes herself. She will later learn that looking at a soft-spoken Mina who tries her best is a look that soothes her insides yet entices her to pull Mina close, to let Mina know that she’s doing great.

She will learn later that the look she gives Mina is a look the warms Mina’s heart, and Mina's favourite laughter is the husky, slightly riotous laughter that cuts through the air (aside from Dahyun’s) because it reminds her that despite her cold, reserved self, she can still make Chaeyoung laugh (others will argue that Chaeyoung is no-jam and has the cheapest humour, but Mina can hear the slight difference between the way Chaeyoung laughs for others and the way Chaeyoung laughs for her adoringly).

Chaeyoung knows Mina is Black Swan Mina, cold and classy Mina who freaks even Jihyo and Nayeon out during trainee days, with long black hair covering half her face as she struts on by, barely turning fully to regard the person who has called her, “Mina-ssi?” and wants to talk, so she ends up looking like she isn’t even looking at the person who is talking, standing poised and almost arrogantly. But Chaeyoung learns that it is a stance brought about by years and years of rigid training and discipline and Mina sometimes can’t shirk off her ballerina stance as she trains to be a dancer-singer for an idol group.

So when she catches Mina gazing at her during fansigns or shows, with a look that is less like the cold ballerina look shown during trainee days and a look that looks a lot like adoration and l-l-love, Chaeyoung can’t help but to return a look that reciprocates and hopes Mina understands.

Chaeyoung learns to look away from her diary more, and breathes in the scenery around her, a scenery that includes Mina. Even during v-lives, she catches Mina watching her from the camera and Chaeyoung looks back into the camera at Mina, perfection reflecting from reality to the camera’s lens. She regards Mina carefully, soft flowing maroon hair and a sharp jawline. Chaeyoung reaches over to her red locks absent-mindedly, forgets she is on live camera, and slowly tucks it behind Mina’s ear. She finishes with an arm around her shoulder, turning to fully look at the real Mina and wonders how much deeper she can fall into those eyes (she will learn later that on that particular day Mina felt sears on her head and tingles on her skin as Chaeyoung raked through her hair, and went on to sear that feeling into her memory for the rest of her life).

Mina evolves, or transitions into gummy-smile Mina who is shy on camera and likes penguins and ketchup and Chaeyoung can’t help but make steps towards her during fansigns to pinch Mina’s penguin plushie toy, feel the warmth radiating from Mina especially when Mina bends a little lower to look back at Chaeyoung as she caresses her gift. She can’t help but stare on as Mina talks about her on a radio show, “Chaeyoung gets really y on stage,” and she doesn’t look away the whole time as Mina fawns over her. She looks on not because Mina is praising her, but because Mina looks so beautiful as she speaks in her off-shoulder top and red hair. As their eyes meet during the talk, she can’t help but continue looking, falling to Mina’s eyes as Mina returns a look that wants Chaeyoung to know that what she says and what she feels are real. Chaeyoung can’t help but let a smile creep up her face, before she finally breaks away, cheeks flushed.

Chaeyoung remembers when Mina asks her to “pull” her on an interview, and Chaeyoung could only respond in shock at the camera, eyes wide open and jaws slack as Mina chuckled in embarrassment. If anything, Mina has been the one pulling Chaeyoung in, with eyes for magnets and a heart that yearns to be melted by Chaeyoung’s warm laughter. She remembers how Mina can at times be brazen with what she wants, like when Chaeyoung was randomly Dahyun’s tofu-chin, Mina can’t help but lean over, chin up, demanding the same and of course Chaeyoung can’t help but giggle and shift over to do the same to Mina, albeit with more affection. She will remember this feeling when Mina teaches her to use her fingers to bring her chin closer before their lips meet and hear a soft whisper, “more”, when Chaeyoung releases her for a second to breathe. She will remember this feeling when Mina lies on top of her and whines for her to “pull me please”, and it is a whole new context of "pull me" now, but she will be pulled in all the same as she pulls Mina down on soft bed sheets, pulls her close and falls deep into her eyes, drowns in her sighs.

Sometimes heat is all Chaeyoung feels with Mina, and it is so ironic because Mina is all ice and chill but Chaeyoung is always warm (Mina will tell her one day that Chaeyoung played a part in melting her. Chaeyoung will learn that Mina may be all ice and chill, but her kisses will feel like fire and her touches will burn like hell and she wants to be scorched for life).

---

Chaeyoung loves taking walks with Mina, especially in winter, when the trees are bare and everyone hides in the warmth of their homes and it is when Chaeyoung can show off her strength best. Hands intertwined, she knows the usual feeling of Mina’s ice-cold hands, how she takes forever to warm up but Chaeyoung is her catalyst, her favourite heater. Mina waits for Chaeyoung to bring her hand over and cups them with her palms, pulling them up to her face as she breathes hot air into that little enclosed space. Mina feels hot tingles travel from her fingertips to her heart and she shivers, shivers in delight because she is warmed again by Chaeyoung and she feels so alive, unlike the cold ballerina persona she was forced to take on years ago.

.

.

.

They’re wrapped in blankets as they talk about their upcoming Signal comeback, moving on to Chaeyoung’s and Jihyo’s first composed track. As they draw close to their v-live, Chaeyoung returns to Mina’s side. The wind blows quietly but the chill goes unmissed. The blanket is not enough for all their slightly thin outfits, just as Mina’s blanket doesn’t even cover her bare shoulders. But that has always been Chaeyoung’s undoing, you see, because smooth fair skin and toned shoulders with exposed clavicles can’t help but draw Chaeyoung in, despite being under the watchful eyes of 7 other members, cameraman and fans. Chaeyoung remembers how cold Mina gets easily and leans over to blow on her shoulder, hoping it will help warm it up a bit. But leaning closer means smelling Mina’s luxurious perfume and wanting to trail kisses up along the crook of her neck. So she tries very hard to resist, abruptly dropping her head to press her nose against her shoulder bone, as to which Mina responds with a look down at the adorable pose Chaeyoung is in. She presses down again, and the cold tip of Chaeyoung’s nose startles Mina a little as she breathes a soft “ah”, and Chaeyoung continues to rest comfortably on Mina’s shoulder. Mina looks back at the camera, masking any signs of wanting to kiss the girl beside her and feigns normalcy, but Chaeyoung rests her entire jaw on Mina and gives a look to the camera that seems to say, “I do not give a ”. Mina can smell Chaeyoung’s shampoo on her luxuriant hair and Mina leans over to place her forehead against Chaeyoung’s. They both hear the soft rumble of their breathing, and grant a look to the audience as if asking them to keep a secret. Chaeyoung slightly rakes Mina’s back and hears her breath hitch, and it generates a desire which they only know the both of them can satiate together, later.