So?

Neighbors

Night by night, they spent their dinner time together almost every day whenever they were free because they got off around the same time and it was always surrounded with cheerful air. As time went by, they got to know each other more. Just like how Jessica realized Sooyoung had her serious and deep side in her aside from her carefree self (and her dumb moments at times) or like how Sooyoung found out Jessica's humor in her snarky and blunt remarks despite the reserved front. They were pretty much different in many ways, but they truly enjoyed each other's presence. Opposites attract?

"Sooyoung."

"Hm?"

They walked back to their apartment building after having a good meal and chat. It was pleasant. Both of them really enjoyed each other's presence. Taking some walks in the neighborhood, trying new food stalls (for Jessica), 

"It's okay if you don't want to answer this, but I'm just a curious being... I had been careful not to, but uh..."

Jessica felt hesitant now that she had to ask this.

"Was it about the first day?" Sooyoung sensed it though. She had guessed the matter would be talked. It was quite eventful and sure did make someone curious. There's also one thing she's curious of.

"Oh? Ah, yes... Why did you cry?"

"My sister left me." Sooyoung sighed. 

"Sister? I thought-" Sister? The 'Yul' person was her sister???

"What? Heartbroken from love?" Sooyoung smirked.

"Well, you did seem like it. Sorry." 

"Nah, it's okay. It's not exactly wrong. She's my beloved sister. She's married to some foreign guy and she had to leave abroad. I was really sad and depressed, because I would be far away from her. I depend on her a lot. Like really, really a lot. You could say I'm clingy to her." Sooyoung smiled sadly, "She was my everything and I did feel a bit mad that she should leave. Even though in this day and age technology brings people closer, it's not enough without her physical presence. I tried really hard to not weep badly in front of her though, but when I got home I just broke down. I shouldn't be like that, yeah?" she teared up a bit.

Jessica felt sympathic. She also had a little sister and had to separate as well. She knew how it was. She felt touched there's someone who valued family love like this. Feelings were not always revolved around some silly love. She thought that Sooyoung was a precious person. Maybe she's the angel instead.

She stepped in front of the younger girl and it stopped both of them from walking. She brought her hand upward toward Sooyoung's face and wiped a single tear on her cheek. Then she smiled meaningfully.

"Siblings are precious. You're definitely allowed to be sad over their absence. Just maybe... tune down the banging music, yeah?" she stuck her tongue out.

Sooyoung smiled and laughed. The woman in front of her was a beauty inside out. She's grateful to have a new neighbor like this. She was so kind to her even when she's just a mere stranger, a drunk and depressed stranger. She offered her helping hand to her even when she's wasted. She's too good for her own good. Who knew if it's not Sooyoung, but some jerkass drunkard who could take advantage of her? Be it a man or woman, a drunk was never that trustworthy. But this woman in front of her still helped her. She felt it's a waste if they wouldn't know each other better. So she hoped they could get to spend more time together.

They started to walk again to their building.

"Say, Jessica, I know you're a music teacher, but I've never seen you play some instrument..." Sooyoung smiled cheekily.

"You want to see me play?" Jessica raised her eyebrow and she got a nod and a smile, "That's so random." she chuckled.

"You know my passion for music, Jess." Sooyoung grinned.

"I don't think I'm the right person to play your kind of music..." Jessica narrowed her eyes, then they laughed.

"Still though, I'd love to see it. I can hear you play from my room, but I still want to see it. Can I?" Sooyoung asked with a hopeful tone.

"Why?"

"So that I'd believe it really is you who played the beautiful melodies."

"Really, Sooyoung. Really?" They laughed.

"Serious though, I wanna see it. Can I?"

"What do I get in return?" 

"Uuh... what?"

"You, as a lit student, what can you do for me? Poem? Or something you're good at, anything."

"Poem?" Sooyoung chuckled, "You're into that sort of thing?"

"Maybe?" They smiled.

 

----//----

 

They went straight to Jessica's place and she offered Sooyoung to sit on the couch while she prepared for something to drink. It would be the first time Sooyoung stepped her feet into this room. It was quite tidy, without strewn clothes like hers at least. There were not much of furnitures, just minimalist. She saw a digital piano leaning on her right, near the balcony, and 3 violins and 2 guitars on the wall. She had heard the other girl played piano, but never the strings.

A thud woke her up from her reverie.

"Here's your drink. Hope you're fine with mineral water."

"Nah, that's more than fine."

The owner of the place sat beside her and took a sip from her glass. Sooyoung took hers and gulped much. She's thirsty, okay?

"What do you want me to play?" 

"Whatever you want to right now. I don't mind anything."

"I'm in the mood for piano. Let me warm up first." Jessica stood up and walked to the piano.

"Sure."

"And you, warm up for your poem too." Jessica turned to Sooyoung and pointed a finger at her with a teasing smile.

"Sure." Sooyoung scoffed. She still searched her bag for a pen and notebook.

The shorter girl started some tune to warm her fingers up and to set the volume right to avoid disturbing the neighbors. She sat facing the other girl and she looked so poised and elegant. She looked gorgeous, Sooyoung thought.

"Okay, all is set." the pianist looked up and smiled brightly. It's the brightest smile the taller girl ever seen from her. The eyes sparkled excitement. Sooyoung was entranced right there and then. 

The pianist started and immediately soothing melodies running through the air. The girl on the couch closed her eyes and she could feel her ears tingle in utter most satisfaction. Her heart calmed down a lot and she breathed the air in serene. It was a really soft and delicate playing. She felt she could sleep well tonight. She then opened her eyes because her intention there was to see the other girl play.

Her breath hitched. Her heart rushed. The music was calming, but the sight made her heart raced. She couldn't take her eyes off of the pianist. It was something really, really beautiful. Beautiful wasn't even enough to describe it. 

The pianist suddenly looked up and smiled. The other girl just stared foolishly. She looked at the window behind the pianist, then back at the person again. She knew of what to write. The pianist looked down again and she started to ink her notebook.

 

----//----

 

Minutes had passed, but the piano was still played. The taller girl suddenly stood up and faced the girl on the piano.

"Stars Tonight"

 

Jessica halted and looked up, startled. Sooyoung gestured her head to continue playing. She did.

 

"It's night

I look at the sky

Hoping to find stars
"

 

Sooyoung started. She was reading her writing, following along the piano melodies. She looked outside the window.

 

"There they are

Few are seen

City lights outshine

They said
"

 

Jessica was still looking at the other girl while her hands were dancing on the piano. Sooyoung looked at her.

 

"It's night

I look at you laying beside me

Hoping to find stars
"

 

They looked into each other's eyes. 

 

"There they are

Two are seen

Nothing outshine

I say
"

 

Looked.

 

"Your stars

Brighter than anything

Light up my world
"

 

And looked.

 

"Once again"

 

They smiled.

 

----//----

 

That night, two girls may be dreaming about some melodies and stars with smiles painted on their faces.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Um... Hello?

I'm really sorry, I have no excuse as to why this needs a year to be updated >< I was busy then suddenly I just lost inspiration of what to write haha simple as that *hits my head*

But now I just did! So here it is!

I don't know if you stil remember this silly fic existed lol but thank you for the lovely comments <3

I'm not sure of when the next update will be. I mean, I didn't plan for this to be a long fic, but there are still some that I wanna write and it might be the finale?

Hopefully it won't take me a lot of time this time!

Also, I kinda had fun writing the last scene in this chapter haha tell me how you interpret it!