Hello

Neighbors

*BANG BANG B-BANGBANGBANGBANG RAWRARARARWRRWR*

 

That was all Jessica could hear and decipher from her room. Heavy rock metal banging sound however you call it was disturbing Jessica that night. A lot. She should be sleeping by now and the music should stop too, because it had been played since she arrived at her apartment at noon, or maybe even before that. She had tried covering her ears, using her headphones, hiding her head under the pillow and all, but none of it helped. The music was just too loud and it originated from next door. 

"I swear to G-..." Jessica sighed frustatedly.

She stomped her way to the front door and once outside she controlled her breathing. She took careful steps to the left and tried to smile (forcedly), because who knew how her neighbor was? Someone who liked banging metal music could be scary for all Jessica knew. Maybe it's a scary guy with buffed muscle and tall, intimidating figure. She shook her head at the thought of it and made up her mind. She pressed the doorbell and waited.

The door was opened a bit and she could feel the blast from the music even louder.  She rolled her eyes and started to speak.

"Excuse me-"

She stopped herself because she was stunned. She looked up to look at the person's face. Yes, the figure was tall, but it was not a scary guy with intimidating presence. She looked at the person from head to toe. It was a girl with lanky figure, messy hair, droopy eyes, tear-streaked face, red nose, frowned lips, slumped shoulder, wearing t-shirt and boy shorts. It's just... quite of a sad and messy appearance. All her anger seemed to be locked immediately and she gaped. 

"Are you... o-okay?" she flinched at her own voice. Where's all that confidence, Jessica???

"I don't know. What do you think?" the girl asked monotonously.

"I-I think... Well, um-um... You- I- Um..."

"What? Speak louder. Who are you, anyway? What do you want?"

The stranger bent herself lower to Jessica's direction and turned her head to the right. Jessica was flustered by the proximity of the girl's ear and her lips.

"I-I... First, can you at least lower the volume?" Jessica pointed inside the house, "So we can hear each other." 

"Ah, sorry. Wait here." the girl's words were kinda slurred and she looked like she had trouble to walk as she walked further in the room.

Jessica just stood still in front of the door. She bit her lip and was contemplating on what to say. She's still not sure if the tall girl was an okay person or not. Why didn't any other neighbors complain about the music? Was she a dangerous person?

"So... What is it?"

The voice made her look up. She sounded breathless and tired, but Jessica shrugged it off. She composed herself and tried to speak confidently.

"Uh... I just came here to tell you not to play such music loudly. It can disturb other people who want to rest at this time of the day."

"Oh, sorry. Did I disturb you? I thought it wouldn't be heard outside. Sorry." the girl bowed to her. She reeked of alcohol so much, but she seemed to be a nice person. She straightened herself up and asked "But, who are you?"

"Jung Jessica, your new neighbor." she pointed to her apartment.

"Ah... I see. Sorry again. I made such a bad first impression." she bowed again, "I'm Choi Sooyoung." she smiled sadly.

"Well, now that it's settled... I guess I'll just go back."

Jessica turned her body to the left, but something was bugging her. She faced the girl again.

"Excuse me, but... are you okay?"

The taller girl seemed startled and she smiled sadly, again. She leaned on the door frame weakly, "I don't look like I am, huh?"

"Well, it's just-"

"I see blur."

"What?".

"I'm dizzy." don't tell me..

"Wait, Miss Choi-"

"I'm-" no. NO.

 

*BRUG*

"Ouch..." 

Jessica just dived to the ground to cushion Choi Sooyoung's fall.

 

 

----//----

 

 

"Urgh..."

 

White. It's all white. 

"Am I dead?" she whispered. was parched and she felt a bit dizzy. Her body was weak.

"Not yet, Choi Sooyoung." huh?

She turned her head to the voice's direction. She was stunned. The person was beautiful. Maybe she's the most beautiful girl Sooyoung had ever met. Those brown eyes, cute little pointed nose, red thin lips, blonde hair, white attire... who is this?

"Are you an angel?"

"WHAT?!" the angel shrieked.

"Aw, my ears." Sooyoung flinched. She then looked around and noticed she's in her room, "Oh, my bed. My room."

"Of course. Did you think this was heaven?" the girl standing beside her bed glared at her.

"Yeah. You're so beautiful, that's why." she smiled.

Jessica was flustered. Did this girl-

"Did you just flirt-"

"I'm just complimenting you." Sooyoung grinned.

Okay, Jessica was flabbergasted. This was weird. This Choi Sooyoung was a weird person. Then, she remembered she's holding something.

"I think you're still drowsy. Your voice is hoarse. Drink." she offered a glass of water with a straw in it.

"Oh? Thank you beautiful." Sooyoung smiled and drank the water. Once she finished, she asked, "But, who are you? You seem to know me, but I don't know you. It's a shame." 

Jessica wasn't sure the girl was in the right mind. After all the trouble she put her in? After taking care of some stranger-...well, neighbor? After all the spent energy the night before that she put to make sure the girl was okay? After all of it, she didn't remember who Jessica was?

"Do you not remember?" 

"Am I supposed to remember something?" 

Jessica sighed.

"Well, you did reek of alcohol and look out of your mind..." Jessica muttered. "Ok. Jung Jessica. New neighbor." 

"Ah, Miss Jung... Miss Jung..." Sooyoung still looked so lost.

"You really don't remember... Well, long story short I was disturbed by your music at night, then I came to your door to complain. Next thing I knew, you passed out and here we are." 

Sooyoung felt awkward and guilty. They didn't know each other, but the new neighbor had done a lot for her. 

"I'm really sorry. I must've bothered you a lot. Thank you so much." Sooyoung smiled gratefully. 

"Uh... You're welcome." Jessica smiled back, "I have to go to work, so... Bye!" Jessica bowed and turned to left the room.

"Wait!"

Jessica stopped in front of the bedroom's door and turned her head to the bed's direction.

"Yes?"

"It's morning now... Did you stay here last night? Did we... you kno-" 

"NO, WE DIDN'T!" Jessica shouted and Sooyoung became stiff. She felt embarrassed immediately and said sorry. "Uh... it's uh..." Jessica composed herself and took some time to think of what she should say in a limited time.

"Well, I-I went back to my place, then I checked on you in the morning, so... Yeah." She scratch her head sheepishly. 

"I see..."

"I gotta go. Bye!" then she closed the door.

"Bye..."

Sooyoung was silent for awhiIe. She felt that something was missing. She heard the front door closing, then she knew what it was!

 

"Wait! How did she know my passcode????"