Taking Flight

left/right

2

"Taeyang hyung!" Chani yelled, rushing into the practice room. A few other members were there as well, while the remaining members had split up to work on their vocals.

"Yeah, what's up? Did you just wake up or something?" Taeyang went over to a panting & very out of breath Chani.

"I.. did.." He spoke in small gasps, leaning over to put his hands on his knees.

"Why are you so out of breath?"

"I rushed over here.. when I realized.. I overslept.." He was now on all fours on the wooden floor, still breathing heavily.

"What? Who didn't wake you?" Taeyang scanned the room for the usual person who wakes him up, which would be either Inseong or Rowoon, but neither of them were present.

"Nevermind that, it's my own fault. But I need to ask you for a favor.."

"Yeah?" The blond sat on the floor now across from him, waiting to see what it was exactly that he wanted from him.

"I need you to help me with my dancing.. just a little bit."

Taeyang looked confused. "But why, when you're already one of our best dancers?"

"I feel like I've been slipping lately.. Not to mention I've been sick for the past few days. You don't have to if you don't want to. I was just wondering."

"Of course I'll help you! Come on," He stood up, extending his hand out to Chani to help him up. "Let's do it."

Chani grinned, happy that his hyung complied.


A few hours had passed, & the members who had stayed in the practice room had started to leave one by one, until Taeyang & Chani were the only ones left. They had practiced so much that the mirrors were starting to fog up. It was nearing dinner time, so Rowoon had been in charge of rounding everyone up to go eat. He opened the door to the practice room but then quickly closed it to a crack, not realizing that Chani was in there with Taeyang. He didn't want to interrupt them so he merely peeked through the space the door allowed. As he watched them dance, he felt mesmerized by the movement of their bodies- specifically Chani's. He never realized it, but the maknae could be very y when he wanted to be. Both their usual happy demeanors vanished when they lost themselves into their dancing, putting on a serious, focused expression in place of it. Regrettably, Rowoon also felt a little bit of a sting when he realized that they complimented each other very well when dancing side by side like that together. Suddenly not caring if he interrupted them anymore, he opened the door wider, causing both the dancers to stop.

"Hyung!" They both said in unison, & Chani ran over to stop the music on the cd player.

"Dinner's being served soon. Come on."

Taeyang grabbed a rag to wipe his sweat, & exited the room. "Nice dancing with you, Chani!"

"Same to you, hyung!" He called after him, then turned his attention to his other hyung. "Well? Let's go!" Turning on his heels, Chani tried to leave as well, but Rowoon stopped him, grabbing his arm. He jerked backwards, then looked up at him in confusion.

"What? What's wrong?" Chani wiped some sweat from his face, trying to catch his breath from all the dancing he just did.


Rowoon just sighed, suddenly taking off his shirt to wipe Chani's sweat away.

"Ah! H-hyung, what are you--"

"Shhh." Was all that Rowoon said, wiping him until most of the sweat was gone. Chani tried hard not to look at his hyung's shirtless body, but he still ended up stealing glances every now & then, & of course Rowoon noticed. Once he was done, he put his shirt back on, but realized Chani didn't seem to be in a happy mood anymore.

"What's wrong? Sorry, was that weird..? It was probably weird, wasn't it.. Ahh.. I'm sorry.. I just.. I saw you sweating & I.. Ahh.. Damnnit.."

Chani suddenly burst into tiny fits of giggles, breaking Rowoon out of his mumbling.

"What now? What's so funny?"

"You, hyung! How you're so worried all of the time!"

"I just.." Rowoon was smiling now. "You make me nervous. I worry about how you see me sometimes."

"I just see you as you! There's nothing to worry about." Chani's smile reassured the older boy, really taking in what he had to say.

"Well. Why were just the two of you dancing alone together anyway?"

"Huh? Ah, I told him I needed more help with my dancing, so he agreed to practice with me. That's okay, right?" Chani eyeballed the water bottle on the table next to the cd player & went to go reach for it, & Rowoon watched as he took a few gulps from it.

"Is what okay?"

"Us practicing alone like that. It's okay with you, right?"

Rowoon was confused as to why he was suddenly asking permission like that.

"Well, it's a little late to be asking if I'm okay with it, right? I mean you've already gone & done it."

Chani narrowed his eyes. "That sounds familiar."

"It should. You said it to me just the other day." He strolled over to him now, resting his arm around his shoulder. "Why are you asking me if I'm okay with it, though?"

"Well, 'cause you're in love with me."

Rowoon's heart skipped a beat, not expecting for him to hear that from the younger one, especially so casually.

"Yes..." Rowoon spoke slowly, watching as Chani took more sips of water. "What does that have to do with anything?"

"Well, the last thing that I wanna do is upset you. Alone time with another person that isn't you would just make you jealous, right? Sorry if I'm wrong, I just- Hey! Wh-"

Not being able to help himself in that moment, Rowoon bent down to kiss Chani unexpectedly. A few soft, wet kisses later, Rowoon parted ways with his lips, leaving Chani a bit disoriented.

"Sorry.."

The shorter one shook his head, signaling to him that it was alright.

"I'm just.. really happy that you considered my feelings. That's all. You can practice with whomever you want to."

Chani's eyebrows rose. "& you'd be okay with that?"

"Yes. But only if I'm allowed to watch."

"Wha..?" Chani's eyes met the floor, as a blush crept up on his cheeks. "But why?"

"You look really y when you dance."

Chani hit him on the shoulder now, & Rowoon's laughter echoed around the room.

"But it's true! I'm very pleased when I'm watching you. & you have nice legs, so that's a plus."

"My short legs? Oh please."

"Doesn't matter how short they are, they're still amazing. Plus, don't you know that your height makes you even cuter?"

"Is that why you don't want me standing on my toes when we kiss?"

Rowoon's heart skipped again. He knew Chani was very smart, but something he'd never get used to was his matter-of-fact attitude.

"Fine, stand on your toes if you want to." He rolled his eyes, crossing his arms into his chest. Chani tugged at them, trying to get them to come loose.

"Aww don't be like that! I was just trying to make it easier on you. I'll do whatever you ask me to, hyung. I really don't mind."

"Anything?" Rowoon's smile became devilish.

"Within reason.." Chani moved uneasily away from Rowoon, but Rowoon moved in towards him anyway. "Within reason, within reason!" He tried to run away, but the older male caught him around the waist with both of his arms. He tried to wriggle free, but with no such luck.

"Okay, tell me what you want," Chani groaned, rolling his eyes. Rowoon chuckled.

"I only want to know if you love me too. That's all." He let go of Chani calmly, & Chani looked up at him with a flushed face full of pink. Rowoon started to blush too, after seeing how cutely the younger one was looking at him.

"I.. don't know."

"Well, what do you feel?"

"Can I get back to you on that?"

"Yes."

"Thanks."

A full minute went by, & surprisingly it wasn't awkward for either of them. Then, out of shock to them both, Chani stood on his toes to kiss Rowoon on the cheek. Coming back down, he awaited his hyung's reaction, shifting his weight back & forth from side to side on each leg.

"How can one person be so adorable..?" Rowoon murmured. Chani gave him a big smile, as the older one slowly leaned down to kiss him once again.