Chapter One

Just Add Water

Chapter One 

 

A boy sits absentmindedly on the dock. His feet dangle over the edge, toes occasionally dipping into the gelid water as he swings his legs childishly. The wind blows vigorously, forcing his silky black hair off his face, entirely exposing his handsome features; a sweet upturned nose, large crescent shaped eyes the colour of rich chocolate, and pink petite lips which hide a set of flawlessly straight teeth. The slowly setting sun and all of the colours it sprays across the afternoon sky – autumn colours, such as yellow and orange – illuminate the natural tan settled into his skin, and cast a beautiful silhouette against the dock’s lopsided surface.

“Ten!” a voice erupts in the distance. It is familiar, and jostles the boy from his daydreaming.

Blinking continuously, Ten turns his head and directs his stare towards the end of the dock. Sitting in a little red boat – the inflatable type, one that packs plenty of speed – is a male figure, whose arm extends in an enthusiastic wave. From such a distance it is difficult to distinguish his features, but it is evident just how tall and broad his body is built.

Oblivious, Ten points at himself, jabbing a finger into his chest. The man swaying his arm laughs loudly. “Yes, you!”

With a grunt, Ten scrambles to his feet and makes his way down the dock, careful not to trip on dislodged planks of wood. As he paces past endless rows of fishing boats and strange equipment, he begins to make out the face of the figure beckoning to him. Regret instantly creeps into the pit of his stomach, and frustration lodges itself deep within his throat.

Though attractive – with his fresh brown hair, deep dimples and porcelain white skin – Jaehyun is not the most pleasant of people. This is likely because of his father, whose name and face are infamous in the area for being closely associated with dirty business and truckloads of cash. Though attaining copius amounts of money is not the sole reason behind his father’s frightening personality and poor attitude, wealth does tend to get to a person’s head after a while, planting itself in their brain like a parasite encouraging them to humiliate those less fortunate. Truthfully, Jaehyun’s nastiness cannot compare to his father’s vindictiveness, but he is still cruel and scary enough to make Ten’s skin crawl.

“What do you want?” Ten asks. As per usual, his tone is flat and disinterested as he addresses the rich kid. He figures that speaking monotonously and expressing indifference makes it easier to avoid trouble.

Jaehyun gestures towards his boat. “I need you to help me out for a second,” he explains, seemingly serious as both palms flatten against his taut thighs, “if you could pass me the tools when I ask for them, I’d greatly appreciate it.”

“Why should I help you?”

“Someone has been vandalising all of the boats here in the marina,” is the response. Ten supposes this is meant to induce sympathy.

“That doesn’t concern me,” Ten mutters, shrugging.

Jaehyun’s lovely hazel eyes fill to the brim with sincerity. This is shocking. “Please, it’ll only take a couple of minutes.”

Such a desperate plea appeals to Ten’s sensitive heart. He bites down on his lip – hard – and nods rigidly, as though an ominous presence is compelling him to offer assistance. “I’ll do it,” he grumbles, his words almost unintelligible, “but I don’t know much about boats.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll take care of the tough parts.”

Unaware of the misfortune awaiting him, Ten steps into the boat without hesitation. He waddles awkwardly towards a box of tools and stoops down, prepared to grab them out. Chilly water tickles his feet and the soft rocking of the waves makes him feel somewhat dizzy. And then, he notices that the boat is drifting.

“What are you doing?” he screeches noisily, sounding vaguely similar to a prehistoric beast. 

Jaehyun grasps his stomach as he chuckles brazenly. His figure becomes smaller with every passing second. The boat glides farther and farther away from the safety of the dock. “Have fun out there!”

“Why me?” Ten shouts back. He is accustomed to the man’s clever pranks, but this situation has sunk to an entirely new low.

“Because you were here!” Jaehyun yells. His grin stretches from ear to ear, and even as the gap between them grows, his giggles are powerful enough to be heard clearly. Ten wonders if he’d still be laughing if he knew his victim couldn’t swim.

Defeated, Ten sinks into a foetal position and buries his head between his knees. His denim shorts gradually dampen and his body starts to tremble, both from the sinking temperature and the fear that is steadily gnawing away at him. Each time the boat is jostled by a wave a little rougher than the others, he gasps and curls further into himself.

A spontaneous ‘whoop’ sounds out and as Ten dares to look up, a shadow flies towards him. He screams and topples backwards, nearly flipping over the side of the boat. Thankfully, somebody’s strong fingers wrap around his wrist just in time to save him from a tremendously wet death.

Ten rubs his eyes and squints, unmistakeably in disbelief. Perched in front of him – with a ginormous smirk on his face – is Taeyong, whose spiked black hair is held back from his sculpted features with a dotted, red bandana. He wears a loose singlet, which droops down to divulge a huge percentage of his bare chest. His muscles are impeccably toned, so he truly has no reason to be shy. Ten tries not to stare.

“It looks like you could use some help,” Taeyong says. In the palm of his hand is a small, metallic gadget. It sparkles as the last of the day’s sunlight hits it.

Ten – as stated previously – does not know much about boats, but he is witty enough to make an educated guess. “It was you who vandalised the boats!” he exclaims, his tone accusatory.

“Jaehyun is a pig,” Taeyong responds nonchalantly. He bends down and begins to reinstall the boat’s missing component. Each motion is swift and mesmerising. “Anything I can do to get under his skin can’t be a bad thing, can it?”

With a deafening roar, the boat springs to life. Ten stumbles into the centre so as to avoid the water as it sprays up around them, and folds in on himself once more. On the contrary, Taeyong cheers excitedly and presents his middle finger to the boat’s owner, who has fallen to his knees in annoyance.

“Let’s take this bad boy for a ride,” Taeyong bellows. He picks a direction and sets off at full speed.

Ten eventually opens his eyes to peer out at the ocean. The sky is reflected on the bumpy blue surface and the sailboats framed against the horizon are beautiful and motionless, as though trapped within a painting. There is a salty scent, but it is not fishy; it is refreshing. Though he cannot find the confidence to stand, Ten does muster up the courage to dip his fingertips into the water. That is, until he remembers just how many sharks reside here.

 

With aching joints and dripping mahogany hair, the captain of the swim team strolls alongside the water. He carries a heavy bag with one hand and with the other, musically taps the steel of the sturdy railing separating him from the ocean and all of its secrecies. Walking home after hours of hearty training is his favourite part of the day, because he not only feels accomplished, but also relaxed as he gazes out at the many patterns stirred up by the sunset. It is now that he can smile freely and let the ‘tough captain’ façade crumble. Without his team present, this world is his.

“Hey, Yuta!”

The captain curiously peers over the barrier, casting his eyes down as a splash of red flutters by. Ten waves up at him with a lopsided grin, and then playfully hits the empty space beside him. His actions appear to be an invitation.

“Why don’t you join us?” Taeyong asks, yanking the throttle back to slow the boat’s pace. He has a permanent sneer etched into his striking features that makes him hard to trust.

Yuta lugs his bag up, drooping the strap over his shoulder. “Do you have a license?”

“Are you my mother?” Taeyong retorts, laughter in his voice.

Ten giggles cutely and Yuta sighs. He does not enjoy being made fun of, nor does he have faith in Taeyong’s ability to avoid complications, so there is only one option; he must join them.

 

The wind vanishes and an eerie silence falls upon the area. Everything is entirely still. There is no movement. The ocean has become flat and the sky has darkened considerably. No longer is the sun hanging high above, as its exquisite liveliness has been replaced by faint, twinkling stars and a menacing full moon. Frightening obscurities lurk below. They are ready to attack.

Jaehyun’s stolen red boat floats – its motor totally destroyed – towards an island; Makutu Island. It is a place where the sand is as white as the clouds on a sunny day, where the shade of the water is picturesque and so close to fully transparent that one can see what is metres and metres below them. It is here that the breeze rustling towering palm trees sounds like the melodious song of a bird, and here that the wildlife is abundant, sprightly and unique.

However, this island does not come without its stories. Some say that it is cursed and has been since the beginning of time, that the natives – who are long gone, now – performed rituals and black magic on the shores. Those who do not believe in such rumours still maintain their distance, because the waters are said to be infested with sharks. Apparently there are smaller, less aggressive sharks, but the constant Great White sightings are enough to make people terrified of the island.

Ten’s face is saturated with tears by the time the boat slides ashore and Taeyong’s eagerness has been suppressed by the furious glares of Yuta, who is concealing his panic with anger. The three are hesitant to move, hesitant to come in to contact with a place that most speak so gravely about.

Stubborn and refusing to let his fear overwhelm him, Yuta scurries out of the boat and jogs until his feet sink into sand that is warm and dry. He tugs his mobile out of his pocket and triumphantly holds it above his head. “You guys are lucky that I brought this with me!”

Wiping a tear from his cheek, Ten manages a short smile. “Yuta’s always really prepared,” he whispers.

“Oh, good for him,” Taeyong slurs. Now, he is poised to jump out of the boat, too.

Ten shrieks as he follows the other two, as though he’s expecting a shark to rocket itself out of the water and onto the sand. In comparison to the tales told about this island, Ten’s thoughts are hardly ridiculous. Here, anything is possible.

“We need to reach higher ground,” Yuta mumbles. With his robust calves tensing, the captain plunges into the clusters of vegetation, swallowed by darkness. Without so much as wavering, Taeyong follows.

As he dawdles behind blindly, Ten whimpers to himself and mumbles harsh obscenities that to do not match his innocent appearance. He may seem tiny and fragile, but he is full of spirit, or, in this moment; angst.

 

The greenery ultimately fades as it is substituted for jagged rocks and steep paths. It is like an exclusively diverse island, the pristine sand no longer in sight and the water now flowing rapidly like a river wedged between enormous mountains. To move forward is to move uphill, and to turn around is to swim into the mouths of zealously awaiting predators. The possibilities are limited, and at the same they are boundless.

Yuta leads the pack. He is accustomed to being in charge and taking control. “Watch your step,” he says suddenly, moments before he hops across a massive cavity, “it’s a little, uh, slippery.”

Taeyong leaps and lands effortlessly, but Ten – too distracted by other aspects of his surroundings – does not make the cut. With a strangled yelp, he trips and begins to tumble. He twists and twirls, shouts and sobs, and yet, the fall never seems to end. The only change is the brightness around him. Black becomes grey and grey becomes brown as the moonlight becomes more prominent, enlightening this infinite natural tunnel.

When Ten finally stops sliding, he feels immense pain in his ankle. He supposes it is sprained, and does not attempt to move it. Instead, he wriggles towards the tunnel’s entrance and yells into the daunting void, hoping that the others can hear him.

A few minutes pass and just as he is ready to accept this abysmal fate, Yuta flies out and skids to a halt beside him. Taeyong glides out gracefully seconds later.

“Why did you come in, too? You were supposed to go and get help!” Yuta cries out, balling his hands into tight fists full of rage.

Taeyong scowls and rips off his bandana. Loose strands jut out, some clinging to his thick eyelashes. “What am I – a mind reader?”

“Guys, there’s no use in arguing,” Ten says quietly. He looks left, and then right. There is a slight gap a few steps away. “We’ll just have to get out of here another way.”

Yuta follows his friend’s line of sight. “I suppose that hole over there will have to do.”

“You have got to be kidding me,” Taeyong grumbles.

 

After what seems like hours of crawling through dirt, dust and damp substances, the three discover that their suffering has been worth it. Reminiscent of an unbelievable scene from a film, a moon-pool shimmers miraculously in front of them. The water sparkles and the moon is flawlessly aligned with the opening above, like it is an ornament sitting atop the family Christmas tree. Even the murky cave walls around them are remarkable. What seem to be crystals protrude from the rocks. They each reflect the light differently, and cast dancing rainbows across the space, creating a seamless fairy-tale setting.

“Are we…inside a dormant volcano?” Yuta asks. He gazes upwards and inattentively treads closer to the water.

Taeyong’s expression is incredulous and happiness swims around his flickering pupils as he paces around, fingers repeatedly outlining the vague shape of a star in the air. He smiles joyously when he reaches the edge of the moon-pool, his cheeks reddening and his eyes once more filling with cheekiness. As he dunks a foot into the water, he lets out a passionate holler. Yuta regains his senses just long enough to roll his eyes.

“I’m going to see where this leads,” Yuta says, cocking his head towards the moon-pool, “it might be the only way out of here.”

These words make Ten’s heart sink into his stomach. He prays that he is able to spot another path before Yuta makes it back. “Be careful,” he utters.

Without even removing his shoes, Yuta dives into the moon-pool. His posture is so faultless – toes pointed, back flattened, muscles flexed – that there is no splash as he breaks the water’s surface. Even the ripple left behind is miniscule.

Taeyong now sits with his legs fully immersed. He moans softly. “Is your friend always so perfect?”

“He’s worked hard to become ‘so perfect’,” Ten replies. Like a child with a short attention span, he flicks pebbles into the water. When they skip, he applauds his own efforts.

There is a cacophonic thump. Ten’s eyes widen dramatically and he lets the last of the pebbles slip through his fingers, attempting to avoid the blame. He directs his focus elsewhere and whistles, acting indifferent. Yuta emerges with a grimace and rubs his head. “I’m going to let that one slide,” he mutters, paddling closer.

After clearing his throat with a sharp cough, Taeyong asks the most important question. “So, is the moon-pool our way out of here?”

“Yes. There’s an opening that leads us back to where we started.”

“Maybe we should wait until morning,” Ten says. His face is imprinted with concern and his body has begun to quiver. “We won’t be able to see the sharks when it’s this dark.”

Yuta extends an arm, offering his hand. “I’ll swim at the front. If there’s a shark, I’ll fight it off.”

“How charming,” Taeyong scoffs as he plonks into the water. His expression makes it evident that it is much more heated than he had expected it to be.

Inhaling as deeply as he can manage, Ten takes his friend’s hand and is dragged in. The warmth envelops him immediately, and admittedly provides some kind comfort amidst this dire situation. Having Taeyong on his left and Yuta on his right – being bundled in the middle like a baby wrapped in masses of woollen blankets – relaxes him, also. He hopes there are no sharks skulking around their exit, because he cannot promise anybody that he won’t sacrifice them to save himself.

“You’ll need to hold your breath for about twenty seconds, so fill your lungs to the brim before you start to swim. I’ll see you on the other side,” Yuta states. He noisily draws a breath, and then he is gone once again.

Taeyong smiles. “Don’t worry. You can do this,” he assures, gripping Ten’s shirt. Together, they begin their short journey to the other side.

Fortunately, the moonlight illuminates most of their path. There are countless clusters of coral, all of which camouflage relatively tiny fish and sea-critters such as starfish and squid. The colours lining the stony cave walls and sandy floor are brilliant, beyond what any one person could ever imagine. There are greens more stunning than the first leaves of spring, reds more intense than those seen amongst blazing flames, and purples more soothing than the shades found on sweet gatherings of lavender. The sensation of such still, balmy water is magnificently startling in itself.

Yuta wheezes as he arises, and is instantaneously met with such powerful light that his vision blurs. The other two emerge a few seconds later, gasping and spluttering.

Attention, this is the water police. Please make your way to the boarding ladder.”

“We’re saved!” Ten roars. Suddenly, he is the best swimmer to have ever walked the earth. He shoots off so hastily that it seems he is hardly even touching the water. If there were to be sharks beneath him, they would not be able to catch up.

Yuta and Taeyong chortle in synchronisation, before leisurely reuniting with him.

 

Exhausted from the previous day’s events, Ten decides it’d be lovely to treat himself to a nice, soapy bath. The bubbles grow rapidly, only stopping once the bath itself cannot even be seen. This is exactly the way he likes it; a mass he can hide within, evading all responsibilities and feeling gratifyingly unperturbed whilst inhaling the perfumed, foamy fumes.

With a grin, he lets his white robes topple to the floor. His beautiful figure now exposed, he lifts a leg and steps into the water. It is a little too hot – scorching, actually – but he is impatient, and simply lets it encase his body. Steam fizzles upwards, leaving droplets over the ceiling.

As he grows more comfortable, it becomes apparent that something is horribly out of place, something unnatural. His legs suddenly feel odd and all too light, as though he is floating on his back and somebody has their hands underneath him, ready to support his weight if he becomes tired. It is an experience far beyond the simplicity of feeling relaxed.

Wary, Ten lets a single eyelid flutter open. He screams when he notices a stretch of shining scales protruding from the bubbles.

 

Yuta gazes out at the ocean, appreciating its splendour prior to tainting it with his troubles. This is his way of thanking nature and hoping it is kind to him, hoping that it accepts him as he dashes into it with absolute fervour.

The waves are relatively small on this fine morning, but they still stir up some excitement and throw Yuta about. He loves a challenge. Nothing invigorates him more than having to fight back, to work harder and more consistently. Battling his way through the water as it tries so desperately to wash him away is the perfect way to start the day.

However, there is a point in which the war with the natural elements around him becomes far too easy. He ceases swimming and looks around. Everything appears to be the same. The waves have not changed and the sky has not changed, but he certainly has.

Luckily, nobody is around to hear his girlish squeal or to witness the rough golden mass splashing about irrepressibly.

 

With his usual mischievous smirk, Taeyong casually saunters past his favourite juice bar. Like always, the store is teeming with thirsty crowds and new faces, and the employees are working tirelessly to ensure their customers are content. It is a popular spot, as it sits right on one of the area’s best beaches and serves a splendid array of drinks. The menu is designed to cool people off in summer and to warm their hands during winter. Taeyong often frequents the joint early in the morning – as soon as the bar opens – so as to avoid the hordes of dehydrated citizens and the interminable lines that come with them.

There is an expanse of recently laid grass out the front, so an intricate sprinkler system has been set up to tend to it. Taeyong’s initial thought is to take the longest path so as to elude it, but the sun is sweltering and there is a tonne perspiration dotting his back already, so his mind changes pretty quickly. With an excited howl, he sprints towards the splattering water and lets it drench him.

His fun does not last long, as he swiftly comes crumbling to the ground like a solid structure being destroyed by a hurricane. When he tries to return to his feet, he falls again. The bizarre, shimmery bulkiness covering his legs seems to be against his aptitude to walk.

Taeyong considers himself far too tough to cry, but there are certainly still a range of strange sounds escaping his pursed lips.

 

Yuta and Taeyong burst into Ten’s house. They speak over one another in terror, and Ten quickly joins in, talking hysterically as he leads his guests towards the living room.

His house is simple, comfortable and smells of a loving mother’s cooking, even in spite of the fact he lives alone. The crisp white walls and all sleek table surfaces are covered in family photos, each framed and positioned perfectly straight, and the furniture has been neatly arranged so as to allow decent walking space. There are very few abnormalities; the house lacks distinctive features, and does not seem outwardly personal. But, it is the minimalism that makes it homely, and allows visitors to get cosy with ease.

With a sigh of vexation, Yuta collapses onto the couch. Taeyong, on the other hand, continues to pace back and forth like a lion stalking its prey. The two are clearly in a state of fear and confusion. Their minds are ticking madly, trying to comprehend the situation they are in. It is as though they are stuck in mud and are sinking briskly, with no solution in sight. They are slipping farther into the darkness and there is nothing to grasp onto, nothing to help pull them back into the light. They cannot even make sense of their own thoughts, which are running off the rails, driving towards a result of destruction. Ten is much the same, but he has fallen silent and watches the others as they are eaten away at by perplexity.

Suddenly, Taeyong pauses. He breathes heavily, as though he has been running diligently for the past few hours. “We’re mermaids. How is this even possible?” he mutters, twisting his lips.

“Technically, we’re mermen,” Ten states, staring at his toes, lost.

“Does the term we use even matter? For God’s sake, we grow tails when we get wet!”

“Whatever we are…is our responsibility to keep secret,” Yuta says, returning to his feet. Frowning – somewhat adorably – he loops around the room, sturdy fingers resting under his chin. “We can’t let anyone find out about this, or we’ll become science experiments. And we need to remember that whatever happens, we’re in this together.”

Ten opens his mouth to express his approval, but is interrupted by three harmonious knocks. “Oh no, I forgot that I asked Johnny to come by this morning to help me with my essay!”

Accustomed to letting himself in, Johnny strolls through the door with a gleeful grin. He is a lanky young man – towering far above the other three – with majestically wavy caramel-coloured hair and dorky, oversized circular spectacles. His fashion sense is often rather peculiar, and today is a testament to that. Without even noting his eccentric, little accessories, one can say that his buttoned floral shirt consisting mostly of blues and pinks, excessively torn denim shorts and red sneakers with mismatched laces are enough proof that he needs a wardrobe cleanout. If people can get past the vivacious colours clinging to his beautiful olive skin, they will discover a loveable man with a fantastic sense of humour and a mind wise beyond its years. Ten is thankful to have seen through the hilarious outfits and to have found such a splendid friend, but right now, Johnny is the last person he wishes to see.

Eyebrows knitting together, Johnny glances Taeyong and Yuta, and then down at his watch. “Did I get the time wrong again?”

“No, the time is right,” Ten responds, reaching out to tug on his tall guest’s effervescent shirt, “but something really important has come up, so I’m going to have to cancel. I’m sorry. Maybe we can meet up another day?”

“Oh, is everything all right?”

By now, Ten has started to softly shove Johnny back towards the door. Yuta and Taeyong wave as he disappears from sight. “Everything is fine. Don’t worry. I’ll call you later, okay?”

And then the door is closed, despite Johnny’s protests and attempts to continue the conversation. Ten feels guilty – he never keeps secrets from Johnny – but he knows it’s for the best, and that it would be far safer not to involve others in his predicaments.

“So, what now?” Taeyong asks.

“I suppose…we should test this out. Together,” Yuta suggests.

Ten shakes his head resolutely. “I’ll watch while you two test this out, but I’m not going in the water.”

“You can’t avoid water for the rest of your life,” Yuta says, placing his hands on Ten’s shoulder as a gesture of consolation.

“Obviously. I’m just going to avoid the ocean.”

Taeyong cannot contain his laughter, and Yuta coughs as he tries to hold in his own. After all, they live in a town surrounded by the ocean. Avoiding it will not be as easy as it sounds.

 

A/N: Hi all! I'm incredibly excited to start this. It has been ten years since H2O: Just Add Water's first season was released, and I can't wait to relive parts of my childhood through this crossover. I hope this can please those who have also watched the series, and that it can entice those who have never heard of it. Let me know what you think in the comments, and don't hesitate to ask questions. I look forward to seeing you all in the next chapter.
PS; I'm a little biased and might've casted Jaehyun as my favourite H2O character >.<