007

When the heart decides
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Spit it out. I've been here 15 minutes and you aren't talking. I'm beginning to think you just brought me over here to see me," JB states.

It was early in the morning when I reached out to JB to come over. Mark had gone on his morning run. I brought JB over while he was out. This is important. I'd found out where Yugyeom was. Mark knew about him. This was the best time to tell him that my husband Mark was working with Yugyeom. My husband Mark was a conspirator. I had to tell JB. I trusted JB and I knew that he was would be fair and balanced when he prosecuted both Mark and Yugyeom.

"Supposedly every year there is a new Zodiac killer right?" I ask JB.

JB nods. He leans up against my wall, "Yeah. Just like clockwork. Last year it was Orion. This year the Zodiac killer is Yugyeom."

"Why do they kill?" I ask.

JB shrugs, "They're crazy. Who knows. Who cares? When I find this guy I'm going to let you guys judge him. Us Aquarians are just the police. We just find the terrorists. You know? Who cares about motivation."

"It just seems weird. Terrorism doesn't make sense. I know being crazy is one thing but for some reason things just aren't adding up with the system."

JB gives me a long stare.

He checks my forehead.

"Are you sick?"

I slap his hand away quickly, "JB I'm serious. Don't you have the feeling that something isn't right here?"

"The system works. You ARE the system. I believe in the system and I believe in you. What's on your mind Jr. It looks like you have something you want to get off your chest."

"I may have some information."

"Spill it."

"I just wanted to know something before I told you. If someone knew about the Zodiac Killers and didn't turn them in what would happen. If someone might even be helping them...what would happen?"

I'm not sure if Mark is helping Yugyeom. All I know is that I saw them kissing. Yugyeom's photo was appearing all over the city. Words were starting to spread and they were starting relatively quickly. He was the next Zodiac Killer. Mark had to have known that but for some reason Mark was kissing him. They were going at it. What if Mark was helping Yugyeom? What would that mean for Mark?

"It's treason. They'd probably be found guilty. They'd probably be killed," JB explains bluntly before crossing his arms.

"That seems kind of harsh."

"You're on the list Jr," JB explains, "Orion wanted you dead and Yugyeom is the one who is going to try to do it. I don't care if it's harsh. I have all my men on the streets of the City trying to solve this case and make sure you are good."

JB was just what I thought he would be. He was the protector just like most Aquarians. He was fierce when it came to protecting the ones he loved. He wouldn't drop the ball here. He would find Yugyeom. He would arrest him and he would arrest Mark as well if he knew about this. I would be responsible for the death of Mark if I told JB what I knew right now.

The right thing to do would be to come clean. That would be the fair and balanced thing to do. Why wasn't I doing it? Why was I hesitating to snitch on Mark?

"There has to be another way. What if the person who knows where Yugyeom is helps with finding him? Could he be given immunity?"

JB stops talking.

He crosses his arms and gives me a stare. It is a suspicious stare. I'm asking a lot of hypothetical questions about this and I'm really starting to show my hand.

"What do you know?" he asks me, "I know you Jr. You have some info and I want you to tell me."

Suddenly JB's phone rings. JB looks down at the screen. The screen lights up and a hologram appears on the little screen. It is a cool little gadget and JB seems used to using it. They didn't have anything like that back on the mountain. I watch as the man who appears in the hologram seems to be one of JB's officers.

"Sir we need you," the person says.

"What is it?" JB asks, "I'm busy."

"There has been an attack sir. A murder. It's the Zodiac Killer sir."

JB grunts, ". Ok. I'll be there when I can."

JB hangs up the phone. He takes his time though. He looks at me. He's probably breaking protocol. He should probably be out the door right now but I think he knows what I have to tell him might be important. Maybe that's why he puts his hands gently on my arm.

"You can go ahead," I stated, "You go do your job."

"Making sure you are OK is my most important job," JB argues, "What did you have to tell me Law? You can trust me with anything. You know that right."

I couldn't hold onto this secret. Could I? Mark was kissing the Zodiac killer for god sakes. God knows what kind of relationship they had but it had to be somewhat important because Mark rejected me for it. I'm hesitating but the more I think about it the more I realize I may not have a choice here. If I lie to cover up for Mark, I would be covering up for the Zodiac Killer. I would be helping the same guy who would probably try to kill me at some point. There was no way in hell I was going to do that.

"It's Mark..." I start off.

"What's up with Mark?" he asks.

Just at that moment the door opens and Mark walks in. He hears his name. Nyx is waiting at the door silently but steps aside to let Mark in the door. Mark looks at me. He looks at JB. He looks back at me. As usual he has his shirt off and is dripping with sweat from his exercise.

"What's up with me?" Mark asks, "Go ahead. Finish what you were saying."

I hesitate. JB could probably take Mark down. JB was a cop. He'd been trained for these kind of things. He had a gun for god sakes. He was skilled in subduing people. The problem was I wasn't sure if I wanted to see Mark subdued. Why the hell was I hesitating to turn him in even though he was clearly having an affair on me with the Zodiac Killer.

I pause.

"Nothing."

JB gives me a look, "Are you sure?"

Mark gives JB a long hard stare that speaks a million words, "He said nothing didn't he? Do you want him to say it again?"

JB ignores Mark. There is some real tension there. I figured it would be. These two were cut from a different cloth. They were nothing alike and it showed. JB leans into me. He gives me a hug. It's a close hug. It's almost as though he's claiming me. I know it. He knows it and most of all Mark knows it. JB kisses me on my cheek very close to my mouth. He lets it settle in for a minute. He lets it simmer.

Then he finally steps back and tells me, "I'll talk to you later OK?"

With that JB just walks away. The entire time Mark is standing there watching us. He gives us a hard look in the next few seconds.

"Do you mind not inviting your boyfriend to our apartment while I'm out?" Mark asks going to the fridge angrily, "I'm sure there are other places you can go."

He was one to talk. He had his boyfriend in the lobby instead. I shake my head. I didn't want to argue with Mark. The last thing I wanted to do was talk to him at all. I'd have to be turning him in soon.

"Ok," I state.

It's no argument. It's no back and forth. I just agree and start walking away. Mark must notice how nonchalant I'm being because he follows me all the way into my room. He stands at my bedroom door and squints at me.

"You're acting weird. Since when don't we argue?"

Since I found out he was dating the Zodiac Killer.

"Nothing to argue about. I'm late for work," I respond.

He stands at the doorway and I stand there until he finally starts stepping aside. He continues to follow me into the hallway. Before I get to the door Mark grabs my hand.

"You aren't giving me any eye contact," he responds, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Here we go with the Libra passive aggressive bull," he responds, "Can you just be blunt for once in your life and tell me what's wrong because I just asked."

Maybe I was a little passive aggressive. Maybe I did sometimes not know how to just come out and say when I was angry but I did petty things to get by it. I didn't care. This wasn't a conversation I wanted to have with Mark. Honestly I was disappointed in him.

"I'll be filling in my paperwork for the divorce today. You should see it in the mail in a few days."

I don't think he expects that.

"Wait. Wait hold on. Let's talk about this. Hey! Jr! HEY!"

I don't wait up for Mark. There's no point in talking to him. There is no point in looking him in his eyes. As soon as I got the chance I was going to report him to JB. Mark was going to be a dead man.

***

Work is awkward to say the least. I have Mark on my mind but that isn't what's making it so awkward. We are trialing a case. I'm sitting right next to Jackson. A Cancer stole some money. He started to go on this deep long explanation about his circumstances. The majority of people found him guilty except me and another Libra. It was deemed a mistrial and he was set free. I could see the look of annoyance I got from the High Liberty when I didn't say he was guilty. He didn't say anything but I could tell he didn't like it.

After the trial I see my friends sitting at a table. They are watching a video. I walk up behind Laura and notice they are watching a video about Yugyeom.

"They caught him on video camera killing people," Laura tells me, "Innocent people. Then he just disappeared right after."

"You'd think the cops would do a better job, huh Jr," her brother says before stopping and telling me, "No offense to JB though."

"JB is my husband. I'm the one who should be taking offense to that," Jackson says.

The twins sit up straight. The awkwardness in the air is clear as day. Shauna is the one who nods with Jackson. I could tell she's been waiting for this little crack. It's a little awkward.

"Can I have a minute with Jackson you guys?" I ask.

Shauna shakes her head, "Why can't you just say it to everyone? I'm sure we all want to hear."

Laura grabs Shauna from behind and drags her away. Shauna is a such a you would have sworn this had anything to do with her. Within a few minutes I'm sitting at the table with Jackson. It's been the first time in a long time that we have been sitting at a table together. It's crazy that someone I once considered my best friend is now acting like this.

"I know you have a lot to say to me," I start off talking to my best friend, "But I wanted to start this

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter