Deranged Marriage C2

Deranged Marriage

The grand mahogany doors opened to reveal the familiar vast office, whose shelves and cabinets were filled with various pieces of art. Nostalgia engulfed Yi Jeong's consciousness at the sight of the old potteries. They were the ones he had handpicked along with his grandpa when the office was being renovated, it was a strange sight. He hadn't been in this office since he was in the first year of his high school. It reminded him of how his love for pottery started and bloomed with the influence of his grandparents.

The scent of oak and tea assaulted his senses and suddenly he was losing himself. But then the reason for his unexpected visit came tumbling back and he snapped out of his reverie. Clenching his right fist and strengthening his resolve, he stepped forward without wavering.

His grandfather was seated stiffly on his comfortable chair, eyes stern and knotted hands propped under his chin. A familiar sight to behold. What was definitely unexpected though was the apparent presence of the president of Shinhwa group. Gu Jun Pyo and his supposed fiance's mother, evil incarnate herself, Kang Hee Soo.

At the presence of two of the most powerful people in Korea, who weren't really looking jovial or outright hostile either, Yi Jeong did the only thing he could without setting them off. He bowed respectfully.

"Grandfather, Madame Kang. It's a surprise to see you discussing. Perhaps, did I come in at the wrong time?" He said, wary of the witch's piercing stare. Yi Jeong noticed the silent debate that both have seemingly engaged themselves in, in his presence. The silence in the room suddenly turned overbearing. It was obvious in the way they were contemplating that they were discussing something in relation to him. And he decided that he really didn't want to know what they were planning because frankly everything around the both of them just smelled evil.

"I understand that this was a bad time I apologise if I intruded on something of great importance, and now I think I shall take my leave—"

"No boy, stay." In all the years that he had been close to Jun Pyo and Ga Eul, you really would've thought that their mother would at least have the decency to call him by his given name, but it seemed far-fetched anyway.

However, to say that Yi Jeong was startled would be an understatement. His heart subsequently jumped to his throat at the biting command that Kang Hee Soo let out.

The sophisticated woman whose eyes were sharp with the way it was highlighted by mascara and eyeliner, looked darker and menacing as she gestured for the seat opposite hers. Yi Jeong complied, never really having the guts to deny otherwise.

He moved briskly, placing himself between the pillows and the penetrating gazes of his grandfather and prospective mother-in-law.

As a prelude to the imminent discussion, his grandfather cleared his throat for attention then shifted his gaze towards his grandson whom he hadn't had much contact with. "Yi Jeong, there is something of great importance that you must hear out."

Yi Jeong knew where their conversation was going. It was the reason he was there in the first place, and seeing as there was no reason to dawdle his refusal he decided to man enough. Besides, if he didn't survive this, he doubted he would survive the marriage either.

"I already knew of it. If you are referring to my sudden engagement, of course." He answered politely, but with an underlying tone of opposition. The witch and his grandfather's faces remained impassive, unfazed by the biting stand. The madame of Shinhwa group merely sipped elegantly on her teacup, eyeing him.

"Hn, I presume my son Jun Pyo informed you of this turn of events?" He didn't even need to nod. Everyone knew Jun Pyo wasn't really introspective. "Then I guess this makes things much easier." She placed the teacup on the glass table before her intense gaze flickered back to his.

"I want you to marry my daughter in a month. However, I am not stupid enough to force you to fall in love with her, so after your graduation, you can divorce her if you desire."

A look of confusion played on Yi Jeong's countenance. He knew that Kang Hee Soo was a cold-blooded woman whose ruthlessness could shame Voldemort's but even her own daughter? He clenched his jaw and was about to give her a piece of his mind, consequences be damned. Ga Eul may be an annoying thorn in his side, but she was still his best friend's sister.

"What kind of mother—"

"You can go to Sweden after." He stopped abruptly, resisting the urge to gape. His whole body tensed, startled by the ultimatum. With wide eyes, he turned unbelievably towards his grandfather whose expression was stern, unrepentant by the words he had spoken.

Yi Jeong had been importunately persuading his grandfather to allow him to study in Sweden for a year now. But the old man kept denying his request, and now ...

What was this marriage really about?

He ground his teeth, both in anger and confusion.

"Why now? What is this really all about?" He voiced out some of the questions that were hurtling non-stop through his mind.

Maybe he should just shut up and stop. It was just a measly marriage anyway, one that Eun Jae shouldn't hear about, and after that he was free to pursue his studies, to pursue her. But one thought trailed persistently in his mind. 

What about Ga Eul? A pang of guilt gnawed in his gut.

One that he so desperately want to ignore.

Hee Soo leaned into her chair casually, clearly not taking things seriously. It was obvious by her posture and her own words that she cared more about her company than any of her offsprings. Yi Jeong had already been familiar with this fact but it still hounds him how she was treating everyone as inconsequential.

"The usual, Shinhwa group is extending its horizon, and considering that you are very familiar with my children, a marriage into the So family seems like a great idea and it would bind our business more tightly."

"But would that be considered invalid if we divorced?" He asked, and the woman raised a mocking eyebrow, lips twitching in malice.

"Oh? You don't want to divorce her?"

Yi Jeong's jaw twitched. "I'm merely trying to see your point."

"Yi Jeong, all the paperwork regarding the partnership will be completed by the time your graduation arrives. Your divorce won't dissolve any ties because we won't allow it. Your marriage will be for publicity and the perfect catalyst for cooperation." The So patriarch answered.

He smiled bitterly, in their world everything was for publicity.

"What if I still refuse?" He challenged.

"Then Il Hyun will replace you." That sealed the deal. He didn't want his philanderer of a brother to be the one to marry Ga Eul. Perhaps he was being a hypocrite but if it was him, he would at least make sure that the brat would experience the least pain possible.

He and Il Hyun were like two peas in a pod. They were both similar in the way that it could be considered dangerous. Both are fond of playing and challenges. But in Yi Jeong's case, he knew that he at least possessed a sense of modesty to treat Ga Eul far more above than the pathetic girls he had ual relations with. Maybe it wasn't enough to make their marriage last, but it was enough to start it anyway.

He gritted his teeth.

"I accept." He was thrown off to the side. It was his greatest wish to finally continue his unfinished romance with Eun Jae, and he'd promise to treat Ga Eul right. For their friendship, and Jun Pyo's. "However, I have certain conditions." He sighed in defeat. The witch's features were graced with a sadistic smile.

"Name them."

"Eun Jae shouldn't be in any way informed. I want the articles to be published in Korea only, or perhaps intercepted if it does go internationally. I'm sure Shinhwa is powerful enough to do just that. If this would be too hard for you I want to go to Sweden personally before the wedding, I want to explain it to her personally."

"Absolutely not." The words of Shinhwa's madame was scathing. "I would take no such risks. A scandal may erupt just from a simple conversation or a hug. I don't want my daughter to look like a casualty in the eyes of the public. I will accept the other condition, trust me it wouldn't be hard."

He set his lips in a thin line, noting the convoluted maternal love she possessed. She didn't want her daughter's image to be smeared but she'd risk her emotional well-being.

"Then it's settled." His grandfather's words boomed, ultimately letting him realize that there was no turning back.

Kang Hee Soo smirked.

"As expected. You'll see each other at the engagement party." And with those parting words, she slipped out of the room, leaving Yi Jeong in a partial hypnotic state. There was only one thought crossing in his mind.

Jun Pyo would kill him.