Chapter 1: Mi-eun's first crush

Can I marry Mr.Kang?

It was a hazy night, the streets were empty, the sky is dark and his breath was heavy. Gary pocketed his hands, sighing as he walked down the forsaken path. It was like the stars had given up on him, the moon scorned him behind the clouds and the world ostracised him. For he was a foolish man, foolish indeed. Why? You see, he had done something he promised (to himself at least) that he will never do.

 

 

The memory of what had just happened kept playing on his mind like a broken recorder, broken much his soul and heart. The girl he loved just threw him out of her apartment, with sad and hurt eyes, punching his chest and screaming at him. He wished he could express the pain he felt, but no words nor tears can cut it. Afterall, it was really his fault. He allowed himself to hurt the one person he sworn to protect. He thought he was making her happy. But he crossed the line, and he knows it.

 

 

The cold winds pierced his empty vessel, but he felt no more discomfort that the inferno inside his mind. He sat down on the cold stone edges of the display window, leaning against the frosted glass. It was only after the brittle wind bit at his skin then did he remember that he had left his coat at Jihyo’s house. But it was too late, she would never let him in again. This was it for him.

 

 

If only…

 

 

His heavy eyelids gave way, as he fell asleep on the freezing streets that night, cold and alone.

 


 

It was a fine day. No, scratch that. The day was terrible, it was burning hot as if the sun had some murderous intent. To add on to that, it was his first day at work as a training kindergarten teacher. And adding on to that, his first day was a field trip to the zoo. What a day!

 

 

“Children! Please hold on to this handy rope when walking! Listen kids, please listen! Is there anyone listening?” Gary cried exasperatedly, trying to get the playing children to follow what he says.

 

 

Sure, he had always wanted to be kindergarten teacher. He loved children so much. He wanted to take care of them like they were one of his own. He wanted, secretly, to have a child of his own. But ever since that incident, he never found love, for no one could match up to how beautiful and amazing his first and only love was. It was 5 years since that day, and he had never spent a day without thinking of her. He felt lonely, forsaken and empty. So, he thought he should be around children, the innocence and cuteness was sure to paint some colours in his bitter life.  Well, unfortunately, his first job isn’t going very well.

 

 

The teacher-in-charge laughed at his situation, well, since all new homeroom teachers have troubles handling these children. The children laughed at how they’ve managed to bully their new teacher. Only one person isn’t laughing, and that is Kang Gary. Actually there were two people not enjoying this moment. There was a little girl in the corner of the classroom, with a noticeable pout on her face as her bottom lip jutted out. She hid behind the boxes of toys displayed on the floor, peering at the mess in the classroom. Then she ran up to the children, yelling to all them, and everyone stopped what they were doing.

 

 

“Everyone! Stop bullying Kang-seonsaengnim (teacher)!” The little girl screamed. Her big doe eyes now scrunched up as she frowned. Her hands fisted and her legs stomped. The class was silent.

 

 

This girl’s name is Mi-eun. She was a quiet child, but the most beautiful girl in class. She hid behind tables and chairs, and doesn’t talk much. But she stole the hearts of all the boys in class, and all the girls loved her. When she smiled, her eyes would melt into a cresent moon, glittering at the corner with her long eyelashes. When she was happy, a crooked baby teeth would stick out and her pinkish-red lips would pull into a wide grin. Mi-eun was quiet, but insanely loved by all the children in their class. A charm, a special charm, only this pretty like kid had.

 

 

The children quickly lined themselves up, looked down obediently and remained quiet. But being kids, the tension easily eased when Gary brought them out of the class and into their chartered bus. Well… Nope, everyone became all bubbly when little Mi-eun stepped in front of the line and pouted at all the little devils causing the mess. One pout was all it took.

 

 

The whole bus ride took almost an hour, as the bus rocked from side to side, gently like a boat on the oceans. Where had all the laughter and yellings gone to?

 

 

All the cheery voices were gone and replaced by silent snores as children fell asleep. Some leaned against the window panes, their chubby cheeks supported by small palms on the window ledge. Some hugged their little school bags dozing off while lying on it. Some even fell asleep with their mouths wide open, saliva pooling at their shoulders as they inhaled and exhaled like a peaceful tiger during nap time. Yeap, bus rides seem to tame the kids, for everyone was in slumberland.

 

 

But not this one little girl.

 

 

Mi-eun peeked at the tired Mr Kang filling attendance sheets and preparing the trip to the zoo on the bus. She stole secret glances at the handsome teacher and her cheeks turned coral pink. When Mr Kang turned around, Mi-eun quickly closes her eyes as tight as she can. I am asleep… I am asleep…

 

 

And that’s how it went the whole bus ride, until the bus slowly drove into the drop-off area. The children, after being woken up, were grouchy, grumbling and making a fuss, but well children are children. Seeing the large signs and statues of animals at the entrace, their eyes lit up and they jumped in excitement, pumping their fist in the air.

 

 

“Everyone! Grab on to the handy rope and don’t let go! Look after your buddies alright!” Gary instructed, standing infront of the kindergardeners, who were about a third of his height. They looked up at him, squinting in the sunlight.

 

 

“Kang-seonsaengnim! What if I need to go to the loo loo!” Shouted one student from the back of the class, waving his hand enthusiastically.

 

 

“Please tell Mr Yoo at the back then!” He shouted across. The heat could almost melt Gary into a puddle of water, his skin felt crisp in the sun despite putting on sunblock. It is 10a.m. afterall and he wished he was at home, in his airconditioned room, curled up in his blankets, maybe in the arms of--- Nevermind that, it was his job, the sooner their tour starts, the earlier it can end. With that, he brought the students into the Zoo.