Three Rules

Simple Expressions

They say when one is in love, it shows.

 

In Bom's opinion, that saying is true. Dara is the proof. She possesses 'the glow' of someone who is in love. Bom knew because she had that same glow.

 

Dara's 'brighter than sunshine' kind of smile in the midst of winter is noticeable. It is strange but in a good way. Nothing can seem to get her off that mood.  Like when Bom accidentally spilled chocolate drink on Dara's favorite knitted top. Or when Bom was almost half an hour late to their coffee date. Sometimes, Bom intentionally tries to do things that would annoy Dara. But nothing can ever annoy her. 

 

Today, Dara seems happier and it makes Bom wonder why.

 


 

Dara has been excited about her meeting with Xiumin. And she plans to give him something she has worked on for several weeks. She finally finished her first scarf. Though there were a few runs here and there, she believes it is something she would give to someone special. And he is. Even though she couldn't admit it yet publicly.

 

The secret to keeping the relationship private is going to places that are not crowded. Actually, even if it's crowded due to Christmas season, there's a big probability that they will not be noticed. The weather also helps them to keep a low profile. 

 

If she is to be honest, their situation is difficult. The more she restrains herself to express openly how much he matters to her, the more she wishes she could spend more time with him. But even time is not helping. They have seen each other only twice since they officially became a couple.

 

Last week, they didn't get to see each other—the sole reason why she misses him big time. Nothing will ever compare to being with someone physically. Phone and video calls and text messages are never enough. But what more could she do other than to endure it.

 

"Ya! Where are you going?" Bom inquires while standing at Dara's bedroom door, hands on her hips. She's wearing a pair of pink pajamas.

 

"Need coffee," Dara answers quickly, hiding the paper bag from Bom's curious eyes. And she thought her flatmate's already asleep. How dead wrong she is.

 

"You're braving the cold weather for a cup of coffee? Are you serious?" Bom asks, her words full of meaning which Dara chooses to ignore.

 

"I need to satisfy this craving." But in reality, it isn't coffee she craves for. She has waited for what seemed like forever for this meeting. The more she's held back by their conversation, the more she gets excited to see him.

 

Bom has a feeling that Dara is not going out solely for a dose of coffee. She's going out to meet the boy who loves coffee. Restraining herself from imploring Dara to confess regarding her status is a hard feat.

 

"Fine. I won't hold you back any longer. You really looked like someone who couldn't wait to have a dose of—" she trails off and observes her friend who's expertly shown no reaction at all. No luck. And so she continues, "coffee."

 

"Bye!" Dara leaves in a hurry for fear of being held back once again.

 

It's been exactly twenty seven days when Bom noticed Dara's weird state the moment she arrived from her supposed walk in the park as she called it. She failed to get the details of Dara's spending the night out. The girl had been mum about her adventure. And Bom was surprised with herself for making it this far without pestering Dara to spill everything.

 

But she believes that patience is a virtue. It won't take long before Dara shares the good news with her. She can feel it.

 


 

They meet at the park near Bom's condominium. And Dara vows to make it a memorable one despite the dreary set up. The instant they see each other, they share a warm hug. 

 

When they reach the almost secluded area at the park, they cover the iron bench with a plastic bag so they can sit on it. Once settled at the bench, they instantly held hands. It's been their weird practice to not wear any hand warmers despite the cold. Holding hands make them feel more connected. The warmth is enough to make the cold bearable.

 

They could have met at a coffee shop where it's more comfortable. But they did not want to risk it. Not yet. Not when a comeback is scheduled early next year. These are the perils of avoiding the obvious consequence ---violent netizens' reactions-- if they ever got caught.

 

"Ya, you don't seem to be feeling well." She voices out her worry when she sees his bare face. She can't help but press her right palm on his forehead to feel his temperature. It feels hotter than normal. He's possibly sick yet he went out to meet her.

 

"I'm fine," he says after a batch of coughs he tried to cover with his blue scarf.

 

"You're only saying that because you're thinking I'll get angry right?"

 

Xiumin quietly looks at her, worry visibly written all over her beautiful face. 

 

He shakes his head. "I wanted to see you." 

 

Dara warmly looks at him. How is she going to respond to that?

 

"Besides, I'm still well enough to see you. So don't worry." He touches her cheek with unspoken appreciation before rubbing their hands together to make it warmer.

 

Though worry is welling inside her, Dara manages to ask him about how his week went. As usual, the grueling practice took the top spot. She asks if he's getting enough rest and if he can be excused from tomorrow's practice. He tells her that he can't skip. But he assures her that he'll take a rest and take medicine if necessary.

 

Dara reaches for the paper bag she had successfully hidden from his view. "By the way, this is for you."

 

A look of surprise crosses over Xiumin's handsome bare face. 

 

She momentarily lets go of his hand so he could look into the plain brown paper bag. Digging into her pockets for warmth, she looks at him closely.

 

"What's this?" He takes a peek at the contents. What he thought to be an empty bag contains a sealed white card and a scarf.

 

"Just a little something I wanted to give you. But don't open the card yet." She waited for his reaction. Her heart flutters upon seeing his face light up when he holds up the scarf. It seems he liked the gift.

 

"You made this," he said with certainty while looking in awe at the scarf. He is sort of inspecting the scarf too closely even though the light is a bit dim where they are seated.

 

Did he perhaps notice the imperfections?

 

"How did you know?" 

 

"I saw photos of you and Minzy-ssi shopping for yarns of these colors." He takes off his scarf while mumbling about how he has not bought her a gift yet. To which Dara brushes off with a nonchalant 'doesn't matter'.

 

Before he can wrap it around his neck, Dara does it for him.

 

"Do you like it?" She asks despite it being obvious that he does.

 

"Of course! This is the first scarf you ever made, right?" He beams at her, his smile makes her feel warm and happy as always.

 

"Neh."

 

"Thank you." He kisses her lightly on the cheek. The feel of his lips lingered even though the kiss is quick. But more than that, his hand reaches for hers and he doesn't let go until their one hour is up.

 

Moments like this, she wishes were longer. 

 

When it's time to part ways, they share another warm hug she wishes more of, while bearing in mind that someday, they can freely spend time together, whenever and wherever as long as their schedules would allow them.

 

There' will be no need to hide. Someday. One of these days. Hopefully.

 


 

Xiumin takes out the sealed card from under his pillow when he is very certain that Luhan is asleep. He had been dying to read it but he can't find the suitable time to do so. There had been a lot of unwelcome interruptions. 

 

Finally, he is opening the card as quietly as he could, with his phone serving as a dim light.

 

Minseok-ah, <3

Thank you for choosing me. 

For choosing to be with me. 

I hope the scarf and this little note will remind you that you are special to me. 

I read somewhere that there are three simple rules in life:

1. If you do not go after what you want, you'll never have it.

2. If you do not ask, the answer will always be no.

3. If you do not step forward, you will always be in the same place.

Beginning today, I promise to live by these rules ^___^

 

Love,

Dara 

 


 

Hiding their relationship is getting more difficult by the day. 

 

Dara felt it when she couldn't even visit Xiumin when his cold got worst. She learned of it from Chen whom she had secretly asked favor from to look after Xiumin, who has a tendency to not want her to worry about him. It's only been two days since they met at the park.

 

Her worries can never be pacified by a simple call, wherein he told her he's going to be okay. His coughs do not sound as though he will get better soon. She wants to be by his side, take care of him, and see for herself how he is. But she could not go to him even if she wanted to.

 

Five days after, thankfully, Xiumin gets better. Despite her wish for him to wait another day before getting back to practice, he did not heed her advise. Aigo, he could be stubborn sometimes. That is how serious he is when it comes to doing what he loves.

 

And so the sort of long distance relationship continues. He's too busy with the comeback preparation and she understands. 

 

Dara finds herself wondering of scenarios which might happen if ever their relationship goes public. Either accidentally or intentionally making it known, she cannot shake the feeling of dread. She haven't even told Bom, CL and Minzy yet. And Yang Hyun Suk! 

 

When will she be able to? Will she even be able to do that?

 


 

Luhan notices Xiumin's panic growing by the second as he rummages through his closet. For someone who is very organized (too organized that his clothes were arranged by color), clothes are being carelessly thrown onto the usually crease-free bed. 

 

Something is definitely wrong here.

 

"Ya! Looking for something?" He doesn't know whether he should laugh or frown.

 

Xiumin sure looks silly creating a mess out of his very organized wardrobe.

 

"I can't find the scarf," he answers without looking at Luhan.

 

"How long have you been looking?" He asks as he leans by the door frame, internally debating whether he should close the door before the others witness the hyung's weird actions.

 

Xiumin sighs in frustration. How could he have misplaced it. What will Dara say? "I don't know."

 

"What does the scarf look like?" He closes the door and sits on his bed, which looks more of a bed than Xiumin's messy bed.

 

"It's a combination of yellow and gray."

 

"Ooookay. I think I saw Tao wearing one earlier."

 

Xiumin's head snaps so quick to see whether Luhan is serious.

 

"You can ask him yourself. I think he's downstairs, the scarf's still on his neck."

 

Xiumin runs for the living room, where he sees Tao watching television, and the precious scarf is indeed around his neck.

 

Tao, who's always monitoring his Dara noona's Instagram posts, has an inkling about the scarf. He had noticed the smile on Xiumin's face one night he came from his supposed walk in the park, the yellow-gray scarf had replaced the blue scarf he wore when he had left the dorm that night.

 

And the scarf was his obvious favorite, it's almost turned into an eye-soar due to the many instances he'd worn it. That must count for something. The scarf must be something special because he couldn't part with it even when he's mostly at the dorm these past few days and even when it's time to sleep. He had seen the scarf on his bed almost every night that he had wandered whether it's being washed at all.

 

One time, he got a chance to 'borrow' it.

 

And the look on Xiumin hyung's face confirms Tao's suspicions.

 

Xiumin silently standing there with a hand outstretched is enough signal to prompt Tao to return the scarf.

 

Hell did not break loose. 

 

This gives Tao the courage to ask what he had been itching to ask. "Is that scarf from Dara noona?"

 

Xiumin stops on his tracks. He looks back at Tao, whom he just then realized is flunked by Suho, Sehun, and Chen. Luhan shortly joins the club of curious onlookers.

 

How can Xiumin deny the obvious? Chen gives him a look that says he better not lie.

 


A/N: Thank you for reading and subscribing to this sequel :)

Please excuse the fluffy chapter.