Chapter 5 (Spoke Once Again)

Her Silence is Deafening
 

The weekend had passed and Yuri had not heard from Jessica. No message, no phone call and though the blonde had yelled at her to leave, Yuri couldn’t help but think of her. Her eyes, her cheeks, her lips…

Come on Yuri snap out of it.

 

She would constantly find herself thinking back to that night. The way Jessica’s legs wrapped around her, the way they kissed… Yuri could not think of a time where she had felt like that. The brunette was not looking forward to that day at school, she did badly want to see Jessica but she didn’t know how she would react.

 

As she parked in her usual spot, Yuri noticed Jessica and Donghae speaking, not only were they talking to each other but Yuri noticed they were rather close. Jessica’s hand was placed on his arm and she had her trademark smile on. Yuri suddenly felt a hint of jealousy as she looked at the pair. Trying to desperately to put on a tough face Yuri got out of her car and headed towards the school.

Before she could think of anything to say, Yuri noticed that Jessica was joined by her friends and Minho had also joined the party.

They all seemed deep in conversation so Yuri decided to not bother speaking to Jessica, it would be awkward and Yuri was definitely out numbered.

As the brunette tried to disappear into the crowd Jessica had quickly caught her eye and immediately looked away. She was hoping that Yuri would not talk to her in front of everyone. Especially not Donghae, not after Friday night. Her body still ached from the confrontation.


“So Hae, what happened to your eye?” Tiffany asked. Jessica was brought back to reality and looked over at Hae. His face didn’t show much emotion, he mustn’t have thought of a cover up story yet.

 

“Oh he was at my house before the party and we were drinking some champagne but I opened it weird and it hit him.”

Jessica’s story was believable and Hae seemed to appreciate it, he smiled and placed his arm around her. The sensation was weird, it wasn’t that Jessica felt something weird; it was that she didn’t feel anything at all. That bothered her but when Yuri touched her Jessica felt everything! However the blonde was pushing those thoughts aside.

 

“So are you two together now then?” Seohyun asked, pointing between Jessica and Hae.

“Yea we are.” Hae interjected.

“No, not yet Mister! You’ve still got some proving to do.” Jessica and Hae had come to some form of agreement that they would “get together” on Jessica’s terms, just how she liked it, Out of the corner of her eye Jessica could see Yuri walking through the crowd attempting to hide from the group.

 

“Oh hey there Kwon!” Hae bellowed at her, she tried to ignore him but it was next to impossible.

“I didn't see you at the party on Friday! We all missed you.” Hae’s sarcasm could be heard from miles away and Yuri’s facial expression was unimpressed...Not that this bothered Jessica at all…

 

“Didn’t we Jess?” Donghae turned his attention to Jessica when the annoyed Yuri stopped in front of the group, all the girls looked towards Yuri and then at Jessica. Everyone could tell that there was tension, however no one knew why.

 

“We need to talk.” Yuri spoke firmly, that it startled Jessica a bit. She wasn’t expecting Yuri to talk in front of the others.

 

“I told you guys. The girl talks.” Donghae laughed. Jessica shifted under his hold. She suddenly became very uncomfortable and she wanted to go home. Yuri however, stood her ground and did not speak again. She merely waited until Jessica finally looked at her and nodded.

 

“We already know Donghae.” Tiffany spoke neutrally. Her voice too stunned to present any form of sentiment. She was too concentrated at the situation in front of her to realize what she was actually saying.

 

Heading away from the group and back to the front of the school Yuri walked with confidence, not looking back but assuming Jessica had followed.

 

Jessica walked behind her, dreading the conversation that was about to happen, when she noticed that Yuri was limping, rather severely too. She knew in that moment that it was because of the brawl with Hae. Feeling guilt spread through her body, Jessica immediately wanted to apologize to Yuri but she couldn’t.

 

Yuri turned to face the blonde, who had incidentally been looking at her limp.

 

“So you’re talking to everyone now then?” Jessica questioned, the now shy Yuri looked away from her, all signs of confidence gone as she looked back to Jessica.

 

“No, just you.” Her words were soft and Jessica felt more guilt. Just apologize to her, damn it!

Though Jessica was the only close enough to Yuri she could tell there were eyes on her. She knew full well that Donghae and Minho were probably talking about swimming but still had their eye on the two of them and her three friends would just be staring the situation down, analyzing everything.

 

Jessica sighed, there were going to be questions later but she would reach that bridge when she got to it. Yuri watched the blonde, her mind obviously not all there and she could feel the distant between them.

 

“Are we going to talk about what happened Friday night?” Yuri finally spoke.

 

“Nothing happened that night Yuri, except that I went to Donghae’s party.” Jessica’s voice was neutral. She tried to desperately hard to hide any emotion.

 

“I meant before then.” Though Yuri knew Jessica was avoiding the topic, she wasn’t standing for it. Jessica was not going to do this to her.

 

“I’m not….” Jessica began but she couldn’t look at Yuri’s eyes when she spoke.

They were too easy to fall into.

 

“Not what?” Yuri asked when Jessica didn’t continue.

 

“Not gay! I’m not gay Yuri!” Jessica almost shouted when she spoke and in that moment, for the first time in weeks, Yuri saw that nasty side of Jessica. The side that tortured and bullied people. Her eyes lost all signs of any passion towards Yuri and instead showed rage.

 

“So….what? You’re going to run back to him now?” Yuri matched the blonde’s level of volume and pointed towards Donghae, the whole group had moved closer to the conversation when Jessica raised her voice, even though they would have clearly heard the angered blonde had said.

 

“Yes. Yes I am!” Jessica’s words were harsh. Yuri felt her heart sink further at them.

 

“Then you’re a pathetic coward.” Yuri’s words were even worse than Jessica’s and for a moment, Yuri thought she saw hurt in the blonde's bright brown eyes but it quickly disappeared quicker than it had arrived.

 

“Hey!” Donghae had moved to Jessica’s side and almost launched at Yuri. His fury was easily seen but Minho held him back. Yuri’s hand instinctively went into her jacket were she had been keeping her army knife nearby after the run in with Donghae. She did not draw the weapon; she just placed her hand on it letting herself feel some sense of security.

 

“Careful Hae, you wouldn’t want another champagne cork to your eye.” Yuri had no idea where her confidence had come from but she saw instantly both Hae’s and Jessica’s facial expression change at her words. The others in the group merely looked at the three in confusion and thought it was a strange remark to make, however Jessica and Hae knew exactly what Yuri meant.

 

They knew Yuri had given him the bruise and as they looked at the brunette they could see that she also had an injury above her eye and a bandage around her wrist.

 

Yuri had felt a sharp pain when she had arrived home from Jessica’s that night and figured she had sprained the muscle.

 

As Yuri looked at the group in front of her, the only person she could see was Jessica. Her eyes wide with shock but her stance showed just as much defence as Yuri.

 

“Goodbye, Jessica.” Yuri’s words had so much meaning behind them and Jessica heard it as the brunette walked away and back to her car. There was no way Yuri was going to school today. Yuri didn’t look back as she drove away and once she was out of site she let the tears fall. The brunette didn’t know why she was expecting any different from Jessica; she wasn’t going to change because of one kiss. Even if the kiss was perfect beyond compare.

 

“Yuri, sweetie? What are you doing home?” Yuri’s mother had a surprised look on her face when her daughter stormed into the house and up the stairs towards her room. Yuri did not bother to answer her mother; she figured that her mother would just shrug it off because she didn’t know what to say or do. It was easier that way in her family. If no one talked about it then the problem wasn’t really there. Yuri however just wanted her mother to try, but after several months it became too hard for them both.

 

Dropping her bag at her door, Yuri fell face first onto her bed. She was beyond embarrassed. How would Jessica do this to her? Yuri stood by Jessica, she defended her against that monster of a boy Donghae, and yet Jessica went straight back to him. It angered Yuri, and yet she still felt jealous and confused. How could she be jealous? She had known Jessica for less than a month! Jessica was the first person that Yuri spoke to after the incident.

 

“Come on Ri! The party is inside!”

 

My friends called to me as we got out of the taxi. I wasn’t sure why we took a taxi. We’re 15 for goodness sakes. I would’ve been happy with pizza and a movie but no, we had to go out to a party. Oh well, this could be fun. I just have to stay positive. I hastily walked to catch up with my friends. All of us were looking dressed up and rather cute. As we reached the front door of the senior boy’s house we all got a little giggly when they opened the door and complimented us. I don’t even remember them; I definitely didn’t know who they were and I didn’t even know whose party this was! But it was better than being at home alone with my mom.

 

“Ri! This is one of my brother’s friends; he said he’d like to meet you.”
 

My friend Yoona had introduced me to one of the senior boys. He was cute. He presented me his hand and we shook momentarily. Before I knew it, we were pushed onto the dance floor. Well it was more like a room with music than a dance floor but regardless I was close with this boy. I didn’t even know his name at that point but I guess it was just fun. Especially after a long week at school.

 

The music pumped away and I could feel the older boy’s hands on my waist. At first it bothered me but I was too scared to say anything. I didn’t want my friends to think I was boring. The boy and I continued to dance and after what seemed like hours of dancing he offered to get me a drink. I nodded and he disappeared.

 

“Oh my gosh, he is so cute!”

 

Yoona was at my side in seconds. She had been dancing with one of the other senior at the party, and they were becoming friendly. I, however, was content with just dancing.

 

“He is!” I screamed over the music and within seconds the boy had returned with an unopened can of drink.

 

“Just so you didn't think I drugged you or something!”

 

I hadn’t even thought about that, but with an unopened can of drink it would be hard to succeed in that endeavour.

 

“Thanks.”

“Yuri?” The brunette was brought back to reality with her mother standing in the doorway of her bedroom; she quickly wiped away the tears that were streaming down her face. Yuri wasn’t sure if it was because of what had happened with Yuri or if it was the remaining of what happened so many months ago.

 

“Are you okay?” Her mother asked as she sat down on the edge of the bed. Yuri sniffed softly and nodded. Moments later her mother stood from the bed and went to walk out, attempting to leave Yuri in peace.

 

“Mom…” Yuri spoke softly. She was nervous about talking to her mother. She didn’t know what the reaction would be. At first her mother merely turned around, as if she wasn’t sure that she had actually heard her daughter or if she was just imagining things.

 

“I’m sorry mom.” Yuri burst into tears when her mother didn’t reply, it wasn’t that she felt she was ignoring her; it was that a wave had rushed over Yuri.

Everything that had happened became so much more real when she looked into her mother's eyes. Instantly Chae-ah ran to her daughter’s side and embraced her. This was the first time in over eight month Yuri had spoken to her and she was going to make sure that she was okay.

 

“Don’t be sorry Yuri.” Chae held Yuri close to her and let the tears fall. They both knew this day would come.