Chapter 17 2/2 (Are We Safe?)

Her Silence is Deafening

Before you read quick note, we changed the coffee scene in chapter 13. Taeyeon and Hyoyeon switched places for further chapters. Enjoy! :))

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“You can’t win Hae.” Jessica whispered through her clenched teeth, she was trying to be brave like Yuri but didn’t realize it would be this difficult.

 

“And what makes you say that Jessica?” Hae focused his attention back on the blonde beneath him, he felt a strong sense of power as he held the gun to Jessica and he knew she could sense it.

 

“There’s no camera, no one’s watching. You’ve lost.” Jessica smiled to herself. She realized how empowering it was to talk to him like this, even with the gun at his hold.

 

“I haven’t lost yet…” Hae stood from Jessica and pulled her from the ground. She was mildly surprised but didn’t speak. “Kiss me.” Hae’s words weren’t a question and nor were they a threat, he simply stood in front of Jessica and waited for a response. The blonde raised her eyebrows ironically and stepped back from the boy.

 

“No.” Jessica said in disgust. Hae’s smile faded but returned just as quickly as it had left. He quickly pointed the gun at Yuri and cocked the trigger, when Jessica heard the small clip she knew it was a warning and she couldn’t dare to lose Yuri.

 

“Don’t.” Jessica placed her hand on the gun lowering it away from Yuri. Hae turned back to the blonde while smiling triumphantly. Yuri watched the pair with cautious eyes, she was moving in and out of consciousness but she was awake and alert when Hae asked Jessica to kiss him.

 

When Hae had fully lowered his gun, his other hand moved to Jessica’s cheek pulling her in for a kiss. Yuri felt jealousy spread through her as Donghae’s arms wrapped around the blonde’s waist. She wanted to stand and knock Hae on his back but she could barely even keep her eyes from closing.

 

Moments later Jessica sharply, quickly and forcefully threw her knee into Hae’s stomach causing him to lose his breath and drop his gun. Just as quickly as she had kneed Hae, Jessica picked the gun from the floor and pointed straight at him. As he caught his breath, the boy smiled and chuckled softly at Jessica.

 

“We both know you can’t shoot me Jessica Jung.” Hae’s words were a challenge and he knew he was going to win. Jessica was too scared and she had never used a gun before. After several moments of silence Jessica lowered the gun slowly and stepped away from Hae.

 

“You’re right. I’m not like you.” Jessica uncocked the gun and watched Hae smile.

 

“That’s right but unfortunately for you Jessica….” Donghae quickly moved towards Yuri and he moved faster than Jessica could focus. Pulling out his pocket knife Hae held Yuri tightly and forced the blade into Yuri’s upper abdomen and a loud scream followed the impact. “.....You should’ve pulled the trigger.” Hae twisted the blade inside Yuri and watched Jessica crumble underneath the sight. The brunette’s screams became short and barely existent after a few moments. Hae let the blade go and left it to it in Yuri’s lifeless body. Jessica ran to Yuri’s sight and let her hands go to the brunette’s cheeks. Jessica realised she had dropped the gun and looked over her shoulder to find Hae but when she turned he was gone and so was his gun. Yuri began coughing and Jessica’s hands went around the blade to stop as much as she could. When Yuri coughed a second time, blood came out.

 

“It’s okay...you’re going to be okay..” Jessica told Yuri but she was also telling herself. Yuri felt her eyes fall weak but she fought to keep them open, the pain in her stomach was excruciating but her eyes never left Jessica’s. “I’m sorry Yul….this is all my fault…”

 

“Hey….” Yuri said as she lifted her fingers to catch a tear that fell from Jessica’s eyes. “None of this is your fault. You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me..” Jessica smiled softly into Yuri’s cold hand. There was a loud banging on the door and then a voiced followed.

 

“Yuri? Jessica? Are you in there?” Yonghwa’s voice came from the other side and Jessica’s spirits lift.

 

“Yeah in here!” Jessica didn’t want to leave Yuri’s side as she yelled out to Yonghwa.

 

“Okay. We’re coming in! The door is locked tight so stand back!” Yonghwa had a calm voice but Jessica could sense his panic.

 

“Please hurry!” Jessica looked back down at Yuri. Her hand had fallen back to her side and her eyes shut. “N-no...Yuri-ah! Yuri please….please stay awake!” However Yuri’s eyes didn’t open but she was lightly breathing and Jessica felt a pinch of relief. Seconds later Yonghwa and another police officer barged through the door breaking its hinges followed by detective Choi with her gun ready.

 

“He’s not here. Now please help her.” Yonghwa’s hand went to this shoulder radio and began ordering for an ambulance. Detective Choi went to Jessica’s side and checked Yuri’s pulse.

 

“She’s still breathing. We need to get her out.” The unknown officer and Yonghwa made their way over to Yuri.

 

“The ambulance will be here soon.” Yonghwa moved over to Yuri and took his police jacket off. “We need to keep her warm in the meantime.”

 

After what felt like an eternity of waiting a man and women with blue uniforms burst into the room carrying a stretcher.  

 

“Step back.” The women said to Jessica as the began slowly pacing Yuri into a neck brace. At first the blonde didn’t to leave Yuri’s side but she knew it would be okay. After the ambulance officers strapped Yuri into the stretcher they carried her outside and through an old path. Jessica didn’t bother taking in her surroundings, she merely watched and followed Yuri. When the group made it to the lookout and started leading Yuri into the ambulance Jessica noticed her car was missing.

 

“Yonghwa my car is missing.” Jessica grabbed Yonghwa’s arm and continued to look around the car park.

 

“Did you leave it locked?” Yonghwa and Jessica watched the ambulance officers hook Yuri to several machines. Jessica felt in her pockets and noticed her keys were also missing.

 

“Hae must’ve taken it.” Jessica said in a frustrated tone. Yonghwa spoke into his radio again altering other officers to the situation. Moments later the male officer got in the front of the vehicle and started the engine.

 

“Can I come?” Jessica asked the female officer.

 

“Are you family?” She asked. Jessica paused and looked over at Yonghwa.

 

“I’m her girlfriend.” The woman looked over at Yonghwa and then over at Choi, she nodded in approval and the ambulance officer offered Jessica her hand and pulled her into the vehicle.

 

“You go with them.” Choi ordered Yonghwa, he nodded and pulled himself into the ambulance. Shutting the door Choi banged on the door and the ambulance took off. Jessica watched as the female officer put an oxygen mask on Yuri and started injecting needles into her arms.

 

“Sica-yah?” The brunette muffled through the mask. The ambulance officer looked down at Yuri and observed her.

 

“Yuri? You’re in an ambulance. You’re safe.” Her voice was calm and collected. It was even soothing for Jessica whose heart jumped at Yuri’s voice.

 

“Where’s Jessica?” Yuri’s voice was full of panic and she struggled against the hold of the stretcher.

 

“I’m here.” Jessica placed her hand on Yuri’s shoulder and slowly d them in an attempt to calm the tanned girl.

 

“Are you okay?” Yuri mumbled through the mask while looking up at the blonde, her breath was short and irregular and Jessica watched the brunette to focus on herself but even in such a dangerous situation Yuri was still thinking of her. Jessica was sitting at Yuri’s head looking over her while the ambulance officer played with the needles and tubes surrounding her.

 

“I’m okay Yuri-ah.” Jessica said softly as her hands made their way to Yuri’s cheeks, through the mask Jessica could see the tanned girl form a small smile and her eyes began closing again.

 

“Please don’t let go of me.” The brunette whispered through her breath.

 

“I won’t. I’m right here. I promise.” Jessica’s hands continued to Yuri’s cold cheeks as the ambulance bumped up and down across the road. Yuri’s eyes shut again and Jessica felt panic spread through her momentarily until she looked over at the ambulance officer who didn't seem bothered by the fact. Jessica’s eyes ran over Yuri’s stained body. The knife was still in her and it was making the blonde sick.

 

Can’t they take that out yet? She thought. The ambulance officer looked at where her eyes was looking and knew right away.

 

“Taking it out will be more fatal than leaving it in.” The officer went back to whatever she was doing and didn’t bother to look at Jessica again. The blonde drew her attention to Yonghwa who had been sitting on the other side of the ambulance and raised her eyebrows curiously at him.

 

“The blade needs to be surgically removed Jess. It’s the safest option for her.” Jessica nodded softly and looked back down at Yuri.

 

“Officer Jung, can we get a 10-20 on Jessica Jung Sooyeon?” Jessica’s eyes shot up to the sound of Yonghwa’s radio, she looked at him curiously. Turning his neck to his shoulder he answered the woman on the other line.

 

“Yeah Jessica is with me.”

 

“And we need a 10-45 on Kwon Yuri.” The woman spoke again seconds later/ From what Jessica heard ‘10-20’ mean location or something similar but she couldn't figure out 10-45 until Yonghwa looked over to the ambulance officer.

 

“Critical.” The women murmured knowing the context of the conversation.

 

“We have a 10-45C on Kwon Yuri. We will arrive at the hospital soon.” Yonghwa looked over at Jessica sympathetically. Yuri was in critical state? The blonde could feel tears well in her eyes but she tried desperately hard to hold them back. Her hands never left Yuri.

 

“You will be met at the hospital by the victim’s parents, standby for further orders.”

 

The radio went silent and the ambulance came to a slow stop. Yonghwa's hand motioned in front of Jessica to wait. The ambulance doors flew open and suddenly people were everywhere, trying to get Yuri safely out and keep her stable all in one go. As the stretcher got pulled from the vehicle Jessica and Yonghwa followed and almost ran to keep up with the nurses and officers surrounding Yuri.

 

“Patient has been stabbed, a great deal of blood loss and is critical. You’re going to need to perform surgery immediately.” The woman from the ambulance van informed one of the Emergency room nurses.

 

“You can’t go any further. I’m sorry.” The nurses moved Jessica away from pushing Yuri through some large white doors and out of sight. Yonghwa held Jessica back as she desperately tried to hold onto the stretcher.

 

“Jess stop there’s nothing more we can do.” Jessica felt her heart race as Yuri disappeared.

 

“I promised her Yonghwa!” Jessica struggled against him but she knew it was no use. He was significantly stronger. As Jessica tried multiple times she gave up and fell against Yonghwa’s chest and began crying.

 

“She’s in shock. We need to analyse her as well officer.” A male nurse walked over from the main desk in the emergency room and began trying to calm Jessica down.

 

“Yonghwa!” Suddenly Seohyun’s voice came from the door, when he looked over he aldo found Tiffany and Sunny standing with her. He smiled at the sight of his girlfriend. He could seriously use something so beautiful on such a day. Jessica escaped from Yonghwa’s hold and ran to Tiffany’s arms. She felt exhausted and she just wanted Yuri safe and okay again.

 

“Where is she?” Tiffany murmured softly.

 

“She’s gone into surgery.” Yonghwa spoke for Jessica. The blonde had lost all sense of words, she couldn’t think straight and her breathing was also irregular.

 

“Miss Jung? Can you sit down for me? I promise you Yuri is in best care.” Tiffany directed Jessica to the nurse who had been speaking with Yonghwa. He then directed the girls to a separate room away from the Emergency so it wasn’t so crowded.

 

“I’ll wait here for her parents.” Yonghwa said with authority as the nurse nodded and walked away.

 

After Jessica had calmed down and was attended by a doctor, the group sat in the empty room waiting for the results of a few tests they had done on her.

 

“Unnie….what happened after the camera broke?” Seohyun asked curiously.

 

“Hae came in and pulled me away from Yul and then pulled his gun out. He made me kiss him but during it i kicked him and took the gun. That’s when he lunged Yuri and ran.” Jessica didn't feel like talking about the story in great detail but she felt she got most of the information in.

 

“She was stabbed?” Sunny asked in a shocked voice. Jessica merely nodded and rested her head against Tiff's shoulder.

 

“Wait, Donghae got away?” Seohyun asked.

 

“Yes.” Jessica answered but before either girl could ask another question the nurse came back into the room and informed Jessica she would be okay and that she just needed rest. He directed them out of the room and back down the corridor to find Yonghwa. From a distance they could hear yelling and screaming and assumed something happened in the Emergency Room.

 

“You selfish, disgusting, horrible man! You have no right to be here!” Jessica recognized Chae’s voice and began running to the sound. As she turned the corner she was met with Yonghwa and Ji Wan holding back Chae from the unwelcomed guest.

*

 

**

 

***

 

****

 

*****

 

******

 

*******

 

********

 

*********

 

**********

"Dad?"