Unexpected Soulmates

Unexpected Soulmates

 

Hyuk savoured the amazing feeling of the wind cooling him down, as he flew across the sky, touching the clouds with his outstretched arms. He soared there for a while with no care in the world, until he heard the ever so familiar beeping sound. He groaned at the thought of even more work as he had already visited 13 different countries just that day. He pressed a button on the white piece of technology in his ear. “What is it?” he whined. “We need you to go to South Korea. There is someone there who has piqued our interest,” the woman on the other end said, and Hyuk could hear her smirking through her voice. He was surprised and curious at her sudden interest in a human, since that was something he had never heard before. “What`s so special about this one human?” He asked, but he regretted ever asking when he heard the answer. She giggled creepily before saying, “He`s your soulmate,” and then she busted into hysterical laughter. Hyuk felt like his ear was going to explode because of the hideous sound. He quickly lifted his hand to his earpiece and turned it off. He sighed in relief when only the sound of the wind rushing past him surrounded him once again. He made his wings slow down as he tried to process what he had just heard. A human… the soulmate of a cupid…? That`s impossible. Yeah, that`s right. She`s probably just joking.  He heard a ‘ding’ and felt a slight vibration in the pocket of his hoodie. He grabbed and unlocked his phone, the bright screen lighting up his face, defining his handsome features.

Hyuk, a 21 year old cupid with beautiful white wings on his back and a handsome face too. His hair was very light blonde, almost white and matched his pale skin. The hoodie he was wearing was black with two holes on the back to fit his wings through. On the left side of his chest the logo of the cupids had been printed on. It was an arrow and a bow crossed, and Hyuk found it very embarrassing to wear. He himself was carrying a bow and a quiver full of arrows, so why? Because most cupids are lovesick women who find entertainment in watching others fall head over heels for each other and making stupid decisions. He just couldn`t understand it, maybe because he had never been in love before.

He picked up the pace of his flying again as he changed directions to head towards South Korea. He had to admit, he was quite curious as to how a human and a cupid could be soulmates. He was a little curious about love as well, but he would never admit that out loud.

Looking at his phone from time to time he quickly found the place this mysterious person was supposed to live. The person`s apartment was in the middle of a dark and eerie district of Seoul. Even the air in the district reeked of danger. Garbage was littered all over the ground, and the only lighting keeping the road from being completely dark was the shine of the moon. Hyuk landed on the ground gracefully and folded his wings behind him. He opened the door to the apartment as silently as he could. Even though normal people couldn`t see his wings, they could still see every other part of him. When the door had been opened just enough for him to sneak in, he took a silent step inside the hallway. It was obvious that this wasn`t some expensive suite from the start, but now it had been proven. The walls were full of cracks, and the roof had lots of stains most likely made by the people living above him. Hyuk sneaked further into the hallway, when he thought he could hear something shifting around the corner. He quickly dismissed it as him being paranoid, and kept going, but just as he was about to enter what looked like the Livingroom, someone appeared from behind, and shoved him so he stumbled forward. He soon regained his balance and turned around to face the attacker. The unknown person had snatched his bow and one of his arrows and was now aiming it straight at him. Straight at his heart. Time seemed to stop, everything was quiet, and he could see the boy standing before him loosen his hold on the arrow. It seemed like slow motion as Hyuk watched the arrow coming closer and closer to touching him, and then he felt it. A sudden pain spread from the area of his heart and through his whole body, but as soon as it reached his brain it immediately turned into something entirely different. A warm and fuzzy feeling replaced the pain, and it was like the world suddenly became full of vibrant colours despite there being close to no lighting in the room. Just looking at the silhouette of the man he still couldn`t see the face of made him feel safe for some reason, but he couldn`t understand why. That same person had tried to kill him just a few seconds ago.

The light in the small room was suddenly . Hyuk squinted as he tried to readjust to the change. He forced his eyes to open and they immediately widened even more as they saw how the mysterious man in front of him looked. He was at least 180 cm tall with the most perfect face in the whole world, at least in his opinion. The tall man unexpectedly smiled a bright smile towards Hyuk, making breath-taking dimples form on his cheeks.

“Finally I found you,” he said, his voice making butterflies go crazy inside him. “Eh? Um… huh?” Hyuk just couldn`t find his words right now due to his feelings, and the confusion didn`t really help at all.

“I`m Hongbin. …Ah, you probably don`t remember me… We`ve met once before.” He said, maintaining his angelic smile. “5 years ago you came and tried to pair me with someone I`d just met, but as soon as I saw you… I fell in love. You ended up just leaving without shooting anyone, and I`ve been waiting for you since then.” Hongbin`s smile retracted to being a simple smile, but Hyuk could still see the love and happiness in his dark eyes. He tried to remember if he had actually met the man before. He had. He remembered it now. The reason he suddenly left, was that Hongbin and the girl he was supposed to be with, suddenly weren`t soulmates anymore.

Hongbin took a few steps forward and reached behind Hyuk`s back, their faces becoming really close to each other. The action confused the smaller, and made him blush, but his expression soon changed when he realized what the other was doing. Hongbin had grabbed another arrow. He stepped back, and turned the arrow so that the point of it was directed towards his heart, and then he stabbed it into himself. Hyuk`s eyes widened at the unexpected action, and he could see Hongbin squeeze his eyes shut in pain. When he opened them again he immediately looked straight into the others. They stood there like that for a minute, when Hongbin`s expression suddenly turned into one of shock. He lifted his arm and pointed behind the smaller. Hyuk turned his head, and noticed what the other had been shocked about. His wings were disappearing. He was no longer a cupid; he had now become the soulmate of a human.

 

-----------------------------------------

Thank you for reading this little oneshot~! 

I am currently looking for more Hyukbin fanfics to read, any recommendations? What`s your favorite?