Coffee

Forever Young | Coffee

[Edited ^^ would appreciate the comments and reviews thanks!]

From the embers we'll rise up

Like the world has just begun

 

The mellow, yet catchy Caribbean-flavoured pop song played through the cafe, while his hands rested around a steaming cup of coffee. He slightly let himself sway with the playful beat. A beat that reminded him of the years that has passed. Of youth.

The days that were lined with music and dance, not just for anyone's fun. Music had been his passion and his profession.

His hair was far from going grey just yet, but his skin were slowly marked by the years spent tirelessly. His appearance didn't change drastically over the course of ten years after debut, but he could see...or feel the change of something within. Something that he couldn't point at. But as he saw the faint reflection of his image on the glass window, between then and now…things were a lot different. Even for the person whose lips formed a smile, even when he wasn’t.

The café was warmly lit, but since it was a late weekday winter afternoon, not many people came in. Today, only he occupied the vintage-themed space. It was a peace he enjoyed as he breathed in the caffeine-filled aroma of the place. Slowly, his lips now really curved into a small smile.

 

Ah it's on repeat? He let out a chuckle and turned towards the counter, not too far from where he sat.

"Mia-ssi!," he called out endearingly, "How many times have you actually listened to this song today?"

 

Mia, a copper-haired fifteen year old, looked up from the plates she was wiping on the counter and smiled at him sheepishly.

"More than I can count? I have this aunt who loves this song so much she had me listen to it," she explained. "Been addicted to it ever since."

 

Mia released a sigh as she turned to place the plate on the shelf behind her, thoughtfully smiling.

"My aunt's the type to be almost annoyingly positive, most of the time. But the more I listen to this song, I guess I understand a bit more how she's the way she is...”

 

Many stars, fall from the sky in the darkest nights

Many times, we crashed and burned, but we had to learn, so

Aaah

 

Picking up another dish to wipe, she looked at the only customer smiling brightly, "She's actually your age, sir. But she has this spirit you would expect of someone my age"

“My aunt is a lot like a mother to me…she isn’t always jubilant, but after a while…after going through really tough things you’ll see her pushing and working hard again. As if she wasn’t broken.”

Mia didn’t look up from the counter, which she was now busy polishing. Her face still held the smile she had while recalling this aunt of hers.

Jongdae nodded and looked down on the coffee in front of him. The steam that came from it had lessened significantly.

 

Many hearts, knocked on my door

When I needed more

Many scars, lined up the walls

From the one before, so

 

It was expected of any idol group. In time, the height of the fame will start to settle down. That was why his company had gone through extremes to get him and the members onto everything that they could.

Because those lustre-filled years wouldn’t last forever.

One would be ecstatic to finally have his personal down-time for more than three hours in a day, but Jongdae somehow found himself in a peculiar place. The now-often moments of stillness had him look back in a depth he never had in seven years.

 

He remembered telling someone before, I want to grow old in a cool way.  In truth, he wasn’t even sure how to do that, back then. He was the type to focus on the present, to live life by the day. Take what he can from the past, not think too much of the future.

 

Was he overthinking right now? Did it come with age?

Time had given them plenty of scars.

But through those things, good things did come out.

Minseok was engaged. Junmyeon is in a relationship that the public had supported over time. Yixing had been expanding his studio.

And with a few months left until the end his service in the army, Jongdae couldn’t help but think which direction he would take once he returned to the industry.

 

Would Time be kind with him too?

 

 Oh baby, I know you'll find a way

So open your eyes I’m waiting here

Just take my hand

The darkest clouds don't mean the end

I'll be your heart and fly away

Gotta turn that spark into a flame

So we can start again

 

“I know that look.”
 

Jongdae jolted at the voice, and looked up to see Mia smiling and standing in front of him.

“That that look my aunt has in her eyes when she’s in her worry-filled phase,” she said, replacing his untouched and slightly warm coffee with a new, steaming one.

“Don’t worry. It’s on the house,” the youth waved off before Jongdae could even think of paying back the gesture.

“O—oh! Thank you.”

He smiled and looked up to see her tilting her head and staring at him, smiling. Startled and wide-eyed, Jongdae let out a nervous laugh.

“Wh-what is it Mia-ssi?”

 

Mia smiled wider and shook her head before looking at him again.

“You know Mr. Kim, he many times you’ve come here, I‘ve always wanted to say how you remind me of my aunt. And so, though I’m not quite sure what’s bothering you, I’m going to tell you what she always tells me when I ask what happened after she gets out of her slump.”

Speechless and unsure how he should respond, Jongdae nodded for her to continue.

 

Raising a finger, her gaze went to the passers-by as she shifted her weight as she recalled the words, “Move forward. As always I’m never in full control, no matter how much I hope to be. That’s why we pray right? We’re never in control, except for the choices we can make. So! Let! Go! Do what we have to! Eosseu!”

Jongdae laughed in delight watching Mia re-enact what he understood to be how her aunt probably told her once- quite animatedly.

“Your aunt really is something. Thank you Mia-ssi,” he beamed.

Mia gave a polite bow in reply, still smiling.

 

“Coffee is still coffee even though, in time, it turns cold Mr. Kim. Some people prefer it hot, others cold. But it’s still coffee. It can still bring energy or comfort either way. I think, as long as you’re honest and have the best intentions at heart, you’ll be okay in the end.”

 

Astonished, Jongdae laughed and clapped his hands a few times at the younger one’s outpour of words. “Is that from your aunt, too? Or is this all you, little lady?”

Mia chuckled, and hummed. “Both?”

Jongdae let out an awed expression. “Say, maybe you let me meet your aunt so that she could teach me the ways she taught you?” he teased.

“Omo! Mr. Kim!” Mia gasped, pointing a finger at Jongdae, “Mr. Kim! You aren’t suggesting-?”

Mia burst into a fit of laughter, as Jongdae on to finish her question. However, the sound of the chimes broke through their laughter. Mia instantly composed herself and scurried towards the entrants, without removing the smile she had from earlier. Jongdae watched her as she seated the customers and was surprised as Mia hurried back to him, slightly panting.

 

“So don’t worry too much, okay Mr. Kim? It might not as scary as you think.”

 

Bowing once more and leaving to the counter before he could reply, Jongdae could only nod in reply. He chuckled as he rested back into his chair, finally taking a satisfying sip of his coffee. Will time be kind to him too? He replayed the words that Mia had told him earlier in his mind.

 

Looking out the window, the sun was already setting. The streetlights and the signboards of the shops slowly lit up, one by one. Letting out a breath of relief, he closed his eyes.

 

From the embers we'll rise up

Like the world has just begun

And we'll be forever young

 

This time, the song didn’t replay.  A new melody streamed into the café’s atmosphere, the sound of chimes cutting through for several more times. A loud thwack jolted Jongdae again, opening his eyes to the sight of a scurrying Mia towards another customer. His attention was drawn to the note on the table. His eyes widened at the young lady’s scribbled message

 

She’s free today so I told her to come earlier. In five minutes. Wee! I’ll introduce you then. Kkkkk You wouldn’t mind the possibility of being my uncle would you? XD

Jongdae let out a loud laugh.