i hum the melody with the cool night air

a midsummer night's sweetness

Wonwoo/Myungeun. 581w.

Myungeun pounded on the door of apartment 301, tapping her feet impatiently as she listened to the muffled sound of music coming from inside. Muffled, but still too loud.

When the door finally opened, Myungeun flinched at the thumping of the music, louder than she expected. She didn’t know how Wonwoo could bear listening to songs this loud. At this volume, everything just became noise.

Wonwoo appeared not to be bothered, casually munching on a cookie Myungeun guessed was the macadamia cookie their neighbor Jiae had given everyone earlier. He raised his eyebrows at her, questioning her intention of coming here.

“Jeon Wonwoo, can you turn the volume down by a lot?” Myungeun half-shouted above the hip-hop music blasting from the speakers. “I’m trying to study here!”

Wonwoo looked like he was saying “Oh” but she couldn’t hear it, but his “Sorry!”, she could hear that. Satisfied that he had apologized, she nodded and walked back to her apartment next door. It wasn’t the first time this happened, but every time Myungeun complained, he would say sorry and turn the volume down. She did appreciate that, but she couldn’t understand why he would blast his speakers to full volume in the first place if every time she came pounding on his door he would always comply.

However, not even ten minutes after her visit to Wonwoo’s doorstep, Wonwoo opened the door again after a set of knocks were heard to find Myungeun again.
“I lowered it down,” Wonwoo said, a little confused.

Without missing a beat, Myungeun said, “I need your help.”

Wonwoo stood on the threshold of Myungeun’s bedroom, Myungeun behind him like she was hiding, their eyes fixated on the huge moth just casually gluing itself onto the wall of Myungeun’s bedroom.

“That’s a huge moth,” Wonwoo mumbled, blinking at it.

“I know,” Myungeun muttered, peeking out from behind Wonwoo’s shoulder. “Can you get it out of here?”

The moth had flown in while she was calmly studying and she almost fell off the bed when she saw it. She had never seen a moth that big, it was probably the size of her knuckle. She had tried to shoo it towards the windows but it kept flying away towards anywhere but the windows. Jeon Wonwoo was her last option.

Wonwoo didn’t immediately give out his answer, just kept staring at the moth, before he looked back at Myungeun and ask, “Have you considered moving instead?”

Myungeun rolled her eyes. “Please, just get rid of it.”

Wonwoo did manage to get it out the windows—by gently grabbing its wings and releasing it outside, before he closed her windows and just tell her to turn the AC on if she felt hot inside.

“But I’m trying to cut my electric bill,” Myungeun said as Wonwoo closed the drapes in her bedroom.

Wonwoo sighed and walked towards her, to get out of the room, and Myungeun had turned the lights off even before he had reached half of the room. When he was out of the room at last, he closed the door and said, “Do you want to study at my place? I turned the AC on and I promise I’ll use earphones.”

Before Myungeun could respond, Wonwoo had added, “I don’t want you dying of heatstroke.”

She didn’t feel that hot as she did before her windows were opened, but maybe her apartment was hot and stuffy when she didn’t turn the AC on, judging by Wonwoo’s red face.