Mamihlapinatapai

Late Night Encounter

mamihlapinatapai: (n.) a wordless, yet meaningful look shared by two people, who both desire to initiate something but both are too reluctant to start.


Wonwoo and his friend, Jihoon, were both sitting at Wonwoo's office, talking about nothing in specific.
Jihoon was definitely his closest friend. They met on their first day of work. They were both pretty quite, but ended up talking to each other.

"We should go get something to eat. Our break already started some minutes ago," Jihoon stated "The new cafe next to the building?"

"Sure," Wonwoo agreed, and followed Jihoon as they made their way to the elevator.

They were already out of the building when Jihoon started talking.

"You know, this job is stressing the hell out of me."

"Well, when something doesn't you should tell, that will be new," Wonwoo teased, knowing about the younger's short temper.

The other just rolled his eyes and tried to ignore the older's comment.

"Anyway. I just think this is not for me anymore," Jihoon let a loud sigh escape from his lips. "I mean, I need to do something different, something new. I'm probably leaving this sometime soon."

Wonwoo looked at him. He wasn't that surprised or shocked since he knew that was his friend's third job in a two years.

"Since when did you start considering this?" 

Jihoon looked up and smiled.

"Maybe for a while, I think," he let another sigh escape and his smile died. "I really do like my job, especially the payment, but it's not for me anymore."

Wonwoo understood. He really understood it. Wonwoo loved his job a lot, but he was definitely leaving too. 

"Okay, let's make it this way," Wonwoo started as they entered the cafe. "We're leaving together."

Jihoon looked at him surprised by the taller's words, but smiled and nodded in agreement.

They sat in silence at the table by the window. There wasn't much to talk and the silence wasn't that uncomfortable.

Wonwoo started looking at the people walking outside. It felt like everyone was in their own world. There were people laughing, smiling, and even crying; people running and couples enjoying their time together. But there was something off. Wonwoo noticed a guy walking by the cafe. He looked familiar, but it was hard to tell since he was facing the other. Luckily, he entered the place and finally turned around for Wonwoo to see his face.

It was the handsome guy from nights ago.

 

Mingyu could, once again, finish his work early. This has been happening since the night three weeks ago when he met the tall black-haired guy. He didn't know what was happening, but he couldn't complain. 

Mingyu stood up from his chair quickly. He needed something to celebrate his finished work, and cake seemed to be a great idea.

Mingyu ran to the elevator. He was so happy and excited. These have been the best days of his life.

He couldn't help but laugh at himself. He was so childish, he felt like a child, even though he was already an adult. He was such a big baby.

He was smiling and whistling while he made his way to the cafe. He entered the shop and looked around, and that was when he noticed the cute guy he met weeks ago looking at him. 

Mingyu and Wonwoo stared at each other. Wonwoo wanted to something, but he didn't know what. Mingyu, on the other hand, smiled.

The older didn't know how to react so he just turned he head and started facing the streets again. Mingyu laughed at the cute reaction the other gave, and went to make his order.

 

"Wonwoo, are you okay?" 

Wonwoo turned his head to face the shorter, "Why you ask?"

"You just look... strange?" Jihoon frowned "You saw a ghost or what?" He teased, but was stopped by the waitress bringing their coffees.

"Maybe."


A/N: this chapter ended up being shorter than what I expected but I really enjoyed writing it. Hope you guys enjoyed reading.

Thank you.