CH 001 | Coffee beans

Paperbeans

"One Caramel Macchiato for Seokmin!!", I announced as I wait for him to scurry in embarassment. With a scrunched face, Seokmin took his cup and hissed, "I told you not to call me that name, Mingyu . . ." I rolled my eyes as I wave my hand to shoo him away. "Yeah, whatever! You're not paying for that anyway."

Seokmin's my bestfriend. Well, childhood bestfriend to be exact. He treats me like I'm imprissoned with only him in a tiny cage. Ah, look at him consume his order in front of me... and wow! what's with that face?? Don't tell me he's not satisfied?

"Ahem... any problems with your order, Sir?" I raised my eyebrow impolitely as if I don't know that the owner will scold me when he sees me treating his costumers like this.

"Ah, nothing, peasant. You may continue working!", he said bashfully before stressing a wink. "Then you may take your seat now, Sir! We have pleanty of seats for your huge .", I said in a least polite manner.

And at last, he's off the counter. He even spilt some of the coffee on it, tsk. I wiped the counter clean as I somehow murmur, Oh almighty One, why did I have to deserve this person in my life? WHY?? But, all I can do is to sigh everything out.

Thank heavens that the coffee shop's not crowded, and I wish it was. Come to think of it, I'm stuck in the whole vicinity with this annoyance, it's great, isn't it? Aigoo, look at this dude. Messing up the teddy bear tree as usual. I've been setting the whole teddy bear tree up for the christmas season since the owner's letting me prettify the cafe every season and holiday. And this year, I think having pre-loved teddy bears for a christmas tree isn't that much childish.

I love kids! and also dogs! and cats! I just love petty stuff. Because I believe, happiness starts with the simplicity of small values or importance. I came up with the idea of stacking teddy bears so that children would decline the maturity of the cafe's ambiance in their visits. For them to feel at home, at least. Then, after the season, I'll be donating them to an orphanage, which where I came from.

Oh, people might ask where did I get these. As the most handsome guy in the campus, it's easy for me to ask the ladies for some teddy bears. Of course, I washed them! One by one. hehe. I had Seokmin assist me to ask for bears for him to have more of his "chick exposure time". He should thank me for that.

Well, technically speaking, I should thank him and his mom a lot. They let me live in their house as if I'm their immediate relative. His mom treats me as how she treats Seokmin. Seokmin and I we're best buddies since 5 back in Gyeonggi-do. They moved here in Seoul for Seokmin's college education. Oh, I moved with them as well. And unfortunately, we're both sharing the same college, same course, and even the same schedule. I must've been cursed in my past life.

Uh oh, he's coming back... don't tell me he wants another one. "Yes, Sir? How may I help you?", I said. He leaned forward to whisper, "Hey dude, are you finished with the end term paper?", he grined.

Ah, typical. "Nope, and even when I'm done, I'm not letting you copy... And why are you whispering?!", I turned away to accommodate the next costumer. "Eyyyy!! What's being the top student of our batch for?", he sharply replied. "That has nothing to do with it!! Now, would you mind taking your face off my counter? Thank you!", I hissed before turning back to my costumer brightly.

"I- uh- I'd like to have a medium hot white chocolate, and a glazed doughnut. For dine, oppa!", she grinned after ordering with all onfidence. "Is that all, Yein?", I asked her as I fiddle my fingers onto the touch screen cash register. "Mhm, make my doughnut a bit sweeter, alright?", she replied.

Aigoo, this kid. She always order the same stuff and requests the same for her doughnuts. "Alright, miss, that would be 7,500 won." She paid the exact amount, as usual. I turned away from her as I start brewing her hot chocolate.

"How's school, Yein?", I glanced at her nebulous self. Hm? Who's this kid finding? She paid back her attention to me after a few seconds, "Ah oppa? Hehe I'm sorry, I'm waiting for an unnie, it's her birthday today and I owe her a treat today. I nodded before turning away once more to finish her orders.

I took a gaze at the wall clock as I wonder. It's already 6:42 PM... I went back to Yein with her tray of orders, "Well, you must hurry up, it's getting late, Yein." She nodded before snatching one of those free ginger bread cookies beyond the counter. She showed me a thumbs up enthusiastically before scooting away with her food, "Okidokey, oppa!! Thank you!"

Wha... she took another one. I huffed out another sigh because of another person. 

It's been  habbit for me to wipe the counters after serving a costumer. I don't know, maybe it's one of my obssessive-compulsives. But, thanks to Seokmin for stamping his fingerprints onto it. "What do you want?!", I furrowed my eyebrows at him as he leaned his arms on the counter. "Hey! What's her name? Hm? Hm?"

I stared blankly at him, probably you can say I'm judging him. "Nope, Seokmin, not her." He wheezed, "Aww, c'mon!!!! Just her name?", he batted his eyes as he prettend to be a baby.

I  took a deep breath in. "I'm not giving you another pun victim, Seok-" I got interupted from scolding him as the door rang open.