Chapter 1

Black & White

In a room of white decoration, floral bouquets and luxury, she sat alone in her white wedding dress.

Ji Yeon tightly held onto her cellphone, shaking and sweating.

She opened her phone to make a call but stopped, hesitating. Tears and fear emerged to the surface as she clenched her teeth. Her lips trembling and her body jumpy.

Knock, Knock.

She jumped at the slightest sound.

“Is the bride ready? The ceremony is starting soon.”

Ji Yeon looked around frantically.

“I-Y-Yes,” she looks at her phone once more before putting it down. She stood and wiped away her sweat and started walking towards the door reluctantly.

Just as she passed the mirror, she stopped for one last glance.

The white dressed blend almost perfectly with her skin. She drew her hand to her pink tint lips. A sudden image of lips kissing furiously, desperately flashed in her mind. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath and looks at her wedding gown once more.

Today, think about you only. You must only think of yourself today. It’s all for the best.

Ji Yeon gathered up her courage and opened the door, slipping out of the room.

Just as she left, the phone ring in the empty room.

***

8 Months ago…

A happy Ji Yeon walked down the sidewalks of Cheondamdong. She had just bought the perfect gift for her boyfriend on their 7th year anniversary.

The clock strike 2pm. She takes out her phone and dialed her number 1 speed dial, ‘My Man’.

The phone ring thrice before he picked up.

“Hi,” Ji Yeon cheerily greeted.

“I’m busy, talk to you later,”

“I-“ but he hanged up the phone.

Ji Yeon looks down at her phone then at the present in her hand. She sighs.

“He must have been really busy,” she scolds herself.

She continued walking and smiles to herself.

They have been dating for seven years through thick and thin, working hard to reach their goals, firing towards their ambitions in career.

25 year old Ji Yeon stopped in front of a window display. Her eyes shined at the sparkling wedding dress and tuxedo.

A small smile crept to her lips.

Then she walks away, all giddy up for tonight.

***

Ji Yeon had finished decorating the apartment with balloons, flowers, cake and wine, and her present.

She nervously waited for her boyfriend to come by.

The clock strike 8.

But there was no ringing on the door or on her phone. Just empty silence.

Ji Yeon busied herself for another 30 minutes but still no call or presence. She picked up her phone and dialed her boyfriend.

“The number you have dialed is currently unavailable. Please leave message after the sound. Beep.”

Ji Yeon puts down the phone, a bit disappointed.

“He didn’t forget it right?” she speaks to her phone. It’s alright, I’ll wait a bit more.

She turns to her cake and puts it back in the fridge.

Just then the doorbell ring.

She set the cake back on the table, lights candles, and runs to the door, unlocking it then hiding behind it after turning off the lights.

She heard another knocking, giggling lowly to herself.

Then the door knob slowly turned and the knob opened lightly. Then the dark figure slowly enters the room, halfway.

Ji Yeon jumps out, “Surprise!” she shoots out the confetti.

The confetti and strings popped out everywhere. She wanted to look at his surprised face, it would be priceless.

But to her disappointment, she stared right into a different pair of dark brown eyes. Shock from the visual, she looked at the man from head to toe.

“W-Who are you?”

The man huffed at the strings and confetti on his head and clothes. His eyes scrolls down her too.

Ji Yeon realizes that she was dressed in a mini red and white striped dress that loosely shaped around her body. She quickly hides behind the door as he looks away, trying to not be awkwardly erted.

He clears his throat.

He looks at her once more. “Is Bo Young in there?”

She confused stared at him then shook her head. Bo Young…

“Park Bo Young?” she remembers from the catalog of mails outside the apartment.

He nods.

“Her apartment is at the end of the hall.” she pointed to the opposite side of the hall. He looks that way but slightly mesmerized by her.

“Thanks,” he smiled and winks before leaving. Ji Yeon shuts the door and leaned on it, covering her face in embarrassment. After being able to grasp herself, she took a deep breath.

She turns on the lights and dreaded back to the lighted cake. She sits down and stares at the melting candles.

Taking out her phone again, she speeds dial his number again.

“The number you have dialed is currently unavailable. Please leave message after the sound. Beep.”

Ji Yeon frowns and looks at the time.

He’ll be here. She tried to encourage herself and blew out the candles then popped the wine bottle open. She drunk a full cup and waited for him.

Ji Yeon leaned on the table and slowly drifted to sleep after finishing one bottle of wine.

***

Ji Yeon wakes up drowsily to her ringing phone. She hustled her hair out of the way as she reached for her phone.

“Hello?”

“Ji Yeon,” it was her boyfriend.

His voice immediately woke her up. She sat up quickly and fixed her hair, brushing it behind her ears and out of her face.

“Oppa,” she answered excitedly.

But his voice sounded a bit gruff.

“Look,” she anticipated what the subject was, “I’m sorry I couldn’t pick up the phone. It’s just- I t was hectic.”

She nodded, “It’s okay. Are you free now?”

She hears another sigh.

“That. I don’t think I can come over.”

Ji Yeon’s anticipation lowered instantly.

“It’s not that I don’t want to. It’s because I can’t. You know,” he quickly told her. “Ji Yeon-ah,” he takes a deep breath.

Ji Yeon tried to regain her smile.

“Please forgive me. I’ll make it up to you, ok?” he assured her.

“Ok,” she answered. “I know, you’re very busy.”

“I have to go now.”

“Mm. Take care.”

The screen turned grey and Ji Yeon puts her phone down grimly.

1 am.

She sighs then curl her legs to her chest and rest her head down on her knees.

If we thought it would improve our relationship, we would get married tomorrow, but as it is, nearly 7 years, I’m still waiting.

The Seven Year Itch
****************************************************************************