Angel Kim Donghyun

I’m stray cat No Minwoo with a fake home

Chapter 2: Angel Kim Donghyun

‘I’m sorry about the twins, Minwoo.’  Hyunseong says after the three of them are gone. He takes a seat next to Jeongmin.

‘Yeah. Of course you can stay. There’s still a room left.’ Jeongmin says. ‘I really didn’t come to move in here. You are all misunderstanding.’  Minwoo tries to explain.

‘Then why are you wearing Donghyun hyung’s clothes?’  Jeongmin asks.

‘Because I was wet from the rain. This is the first time I even heard his name.’  Minwoo says. Donghyun, that name suits him… he thinks as he watches Jeongmin’s curious expression going blank. ‘Did you forget your umbrella? Why didn’t you go home?’  Hyunseong asks. Minwoo averts his gaze and fumbles with the fabric of the shirt. ‘I don’t have a home.’  He whispers.

‘I knew it.’ Jeongmin exclaims. ‘My god… not again.’ Hyunseong says, closing his eyes and shaking his head in disbelief.

‘What do you mean?’ Minwoo asks, confused by their reaction. They act like not having a home is the most common thing in the world.

‘Donghyun always takes in stray cats like you.’ Jeongmin says. ‘We also live here because we didn’t want to be home.’ Hyunseong adds. Minwoo’s jaw drops. ‘Really?’ He asks. the two men nod. ‘Donghyun hyung is really nice. Try staying here for a day and see how it goes. Maybe you like it.’ Jeongmin proposes. Minwoo bites his lip. He’s not sure. All of these people are complete strangers to him and the twins seem to hate him a lot. On the other side, sleeping outside isn’t the most fun thing to do and having a roof above his head is a very good offer.

 

The door opens again and Donghyun walks in. ‘The twins went back to bed. So what do you think? Want to stay here?’ Donghyun asks.

‘I will stay for a night. I’ll pay you back for this favour as soon as I can.’ Donghyun laughs. ‘No need to do that. I would love knowing your name though.’ Minwoo blushes, he completely forgot to mention his name to his saviour. ‘It’s Minwoo, No Minwoo.’ He says, bowing. ‘Don’t be so formal!’ Jeongmin screams, totally shocked. ‘Yes, don’t be.’ Donghyun adds. ‘Are you tired? Want me to take you to your room?’ He asks. Minwoo nods and gets up. ‘Good night.’ Hyunseong and Jeongmin say at the same time. Minwoo wishes them a good night too and then follows Donghyun upstairs. When they’re up the stairs the twins are standing in the hallway, holding hands.

‘Is he staying?’ The boy called Youngmin asks.

‘Yes.’

‘For one night.’ Minwoo quickly adds when Donghyun doesn’t say anymore. The twins both make a loud “tsk” sound before they leave to their room. When passing Minwoo, Kwangmin shoves his shoulder hard against Minwoo’s. Donghyun’s glare is enough to keep the boys quiet and before Minwoo knows it they’re gone.

‘Sorry about that. The twins are a bit socially awkward at home.’ Donghyun explains. ‘At home?’ Minwoo asks. ‘They go to the school that’s close to this place. It’s around 15 minutes away from where I met you just now.’ Donghyun explains. Minwoo’s eyes widen in recognition. ‘Then they go to the same school as me!’ He exclaims. Donghyun smiles at him and a warm feeling spreads through Minwoo’s body. ‘Then you’ll see how they are outside of this place soon. You’ll get along with them soon enough.’ Donghyun says. I doubt that. Minwoo thinks. They walk all the way to the back. Donghyun opens the door and before Minwoo knows it he’s standing in a spacious and cosy bedroom. ‘It’s beautiful.’ Is the first thing he can say after a long time. ‘I’m glad you like it.’ Donghyun says. ‘Have a good night rest here and go to school tomorrow. If you want to stay longer you’re more than welcome to. This room is unoccupied anyway.’ Donghyun says. Minwoo nods. ‘Well, goodnight.’ Donghyun says. He walks out. Just when he wants to close the door Minwoo snaps out of his numb state.

‘Sir! I mean…Donghyun…Donghyun hyung?’ He doesn’t even know how to call him. Donghyun watches him and nods to encourage him to speak. ‘Thank you… for all of this. I will definitely repay you.’ Minwoo says. Donghyun just smiles, his big brown eyes seem to look right through Minwoo, deep into his soul. ‘Repay me by staying.’ He says. His voice sounds honest and kind. Minwoo can only nod, not knowing what to do with this stranger. ‘Good night.’ Donghyun says again. The door closes and he can hear Donghyun’s footsteps getting farther away.

 

Minwoo drops down on the bed. He still can’t believe what just happened. He met 5 people in one day, one of them gave him a roof above his head. Minwoo is not sure if the man is incredibly kind, incredibly stupid or actually dangerous. There is just something that makes him believe the other. Minwoo feels like he’s going to be alright, even though he can never be sure.

The day has tired him out and he quickly switches the light off and crawls under his blanket. It smells freshly washed. It is the same smell as the blankets at his grandma’s house were. Maybe that is the reason why he doesn’t want to think about anything and just sleep.

 

~

Minwoo opens his eyes. He’s surprised when he sees the door. It is not a wooden one like there used to be at his grandma’s place. It’s a door that you see in pretty much every normal, modern house. He quickly gets up and opens the door. He’s surprised when Hyunseong is in the door opening. The other is just as shocked. ‘You startled me.’ He says, laughing. Minwoo can’t help smiling back at the other. ‘Sorry. What is it?’ He asks. Hyunseong looks down and only now Minwoo realizes that he was holding something. ‘It’s my school uniform!’ Minwoo exclaims. ‘Yes, I washed it for you. Hyunseong explains. ‘Thank you!’ Minwoo takes his clothes from the other. ‘I’m going to change then.’ He says. Hyunseong nods. ‘If you want to see Donghyun hyung before breakfast you should hurry up. He has to leave for work soon.’

‘Really? But it is still only 7 o’clock!’ Minwoo says in surprise. Hyunseong nods. ‘Hyung needs to take a train to work. Don’t worry though, he always makes breakfast for us before leaving.’ He explains. Minwoo’s eyes widen in surprise. Donghyun hyung is such an admirable person. He’s busy and still takes care of everyone in the house. He thinks. ‘I’ll change quickly.’ He says, immediately disappearing into his room.

 

Hyunseong smiles. I can’t help thinking you’re a good guy. He thinks before turning around and walking down the stairs. He’s startled for the second time by the person waiting for hem downstairs, leaning against the wall.

‘Youngmin ah! Don’t look at me like that.’ Hyunseong begs. His dongsaeng’s angry stare always kills him on the inside. ‘Hyung, do you really trust him?’ Youngmin asks, his voice thick with annoyance. Hyunseong smiles and pats the younger on the head. ‘I think Minwoo is a good guy. You don’t have to let your guard down if you don’t want to, but do hyung a favour okay?’ He asks.

The door to the hallway opens and Kwangmin walks in already in uniform. ‘What favour?’ Hyunseong sighs: So you were listening? ‘Don’t bully Minwoo. He has done nothing wrong and there is no reason for you guys to kick him out of the house. Donghyun hyung wouldn’t be happy either if you did that, right?’ He asks. The twins look like they want to argue with him but after thinking both of them nod. Youngmin nods slightly later than Kwangmin. Hyunseong mentally notes this information down. ‘Go now, it’s time for breakfast.’

 

The three of them move towards the kitchen. Jeongmin is already busy shoving food down his throat.

‘Good morning!’ Donghyun greets them. He hits Jeongmin against the head and the boy stops eating to greet them with his mouth full of food. The twins make a disgusted gesture but Hyunseong only smiles. Donghyun places the plates in front of the 3 boys and then removes his apron. ‘Twins, I want you to take Minwoo to school. He doesn’t know the way.’

‘WHAT?!’ Both of them exclaim. They look like they heard the most unbelievable thing in the whole world and Jeongmin can’t help but crack up seeing their faces. ‘Just take him. If he wants to I will let him have the room.’

‘Hyung. Why do you never learn? Youngmin asks, dead serious. Donghyun seems surprised by the other’s reaction. ‘What if he is also like that person?’ Kwangmin asks, sounding scared. Donghyun’s big eyes suddenly become gentle and he puts both hands on the twins their shoulders. ‘I didn’t know you guys cared this much about me. It is fine guys. I’m fine. We shouldn’t dwell on what happened before Minwoo came. That is all in the past right?’ Donghyun asks, giving both of them a reassuring smile. Hyunseong nods. ‘Donghyun hyung is right.’ ‘Yeah, that little kitten won’t even hurt a fly.’ Jeongmin adds.

‘Really…?’ Kwangmin asks. Youngmin doesn’t look as convinced as his brother. ‘I don’t trust him. Our bond has been broken once. I never want to experience that again.’ Youngmin says. He kind of regrets his words when he sees Donghyun’s troubled look. ‘Sorry hyung. What happened wasn’t your fault, I know that.’ He quickly says. ‘We all know. But if Donghyun hyung wants to give the kitten a chance, I will too.’ Jeongmin says, trying to wrap up the conversation before the topic of their conversation is in the area. ‘I don’t think hyung will ever get over what happened if that room stays empty, Youngmin. Try to be nice. You too, Kwangmin.’ Hyunseong says. This time the twins nod at exactly the same timing. Donghyun sends them a thankful smile. ‘Ok, I’m going to go to work or I’ll be late. Take good care of Minwoo guys!’ He says, leaving towards the hallway.

‘You’re not eating breakfast again?’ Jeongmin yells. He doesn’t get an answer.

The twins follow Donghyun and wait for him to wear his coat.

‘Bye hyung!’ Kwangmin says, hugging Donghyun quickly. Donghyun hugs him back. He looks at Youngmin who is still sulking and ruffles the boy’s hair. ‘See you later.’ Youngmin blushes slightly. ‘Later hyung.’ He says, softly.

Just when Donghyun wants to close the door he hears someone running down the stairs. Minwoo jumps down the last steps. ‘Bye, Donghyun hyung!’ Minwoo says, out of breath from hurrying.

 

Minwoo feels his heart warming when the older man smiles at him with the most angelic smile he’s ever seen. ‘See you tonight.’ He says before closing the door.

It takes a while before Minwoo finds sanity again after that smile. When he finds it he immediately faces the twins, looking furious. ‘YOU ARE REALLY-!’ Kwangmin is stopped by Youngmin taking his hand and pulling him back. ‘Hurry up and eat your breakfast, or we’ll leave without you.’ He says.

‘What?’ Minwoo asks, scared out of his wits from Kwangmin’s fierce attack. ‘Kwangmin put your shoes on. You have 3 minutes.’ Youngmin says, nodding towards Minwoo. Minwoo ends up pointing at himself. ‘But breakfast…’

‘Three. Minutes.’ Youngmin says, dead serious. Minwoo immediately runs to the kitchen, counting the seconds in his head.