Chapter 5: Basic Class - Exam

Beastmaster

Chanwoo isn’t hiding the fact that he’s trying too hard to figure Junhoe out. He would flirt, sulk, and threaten to make Junhoe spill the truth, but Junhoe is anything but affected.

Chanwoo would now attend every single of Junhoe’s class even if he’s not needed; sitting right at the very back, watching every little thing that Junhoe do. That doesn’t really help, though; besides making Junhoe feels flattered.

Even now, during the exam.

 


 

Yunhyeong groans. He has spent hours reading all the books he can find on beast mastery. Junhoe didn’t give them any clue on what’s going to be in the exam; he just told them to learn everything. And checking past exam papers won’t help either since the past papers were written by a different teacher.

“Feeling prepared?”, Donghyuk asked, taking a seat in front of Yunhyeong.

“Where have you been? Why won’t you study with me?”, Yunhyeong protested the moment he sees Donghyuk.

Donghyuk gives Yunhyeong a soft smile. “It would be too distracting.”, he said, which make Yunhyeong blushes slightly.

“Well…”, Donghyuk continued. “We have to go now. The exam is in ten minutes.”

“It’s the time already!?”, Yunhyeong asked, looking at his watch in disbelief. He then packs his bag, grabs Donghyuk’s hand, and dashes toward the exam room.

As soon as they reach the room, they can see Junhoe already sitting down behind the teacher desk, with Chanwoo sitting behind him. The other students are already there, most of them looking nervous.

The moment the clock hits 3 PM, Junhoe stands up from his seat and starts talking.

“Have you ever heard, loud doesn’t mean right. In fact, if anything, the loudest is usually not the rightest.”, Junhoe said. He then continues, “For this exam, you are allowed to discuss with each other.”.

“Eh…!?”, the students yelled in unison. Everyone in the room is surprised, including Chanwoo. Allowing discussion after saying such a warning, what is he planning?

Once they get over their surprise, Junhoe continues. “There is only one question.”

“Eh…!?”, the students yelled again.

“Your passing or failing is decided by this one question, so think carefully. Once you’ve decided your answer, write it down on the exam paper.”, he explained.

“Ok, but what’s the question?”

Junhoe turns around. To his surprise, that question came from Chanwoo, who becomes interested in Junhoe unmethodical exam.

Junhoe smirks. “You can try if you want to.”, he teased Chanwoo. He then picks up his bag, and takes out three identical looking books, only differentiated by labels that say A, B, and C. Wait a minute; I know this…

He places the three books upright on the teacher desk, and explains, “These books; one of them is a normal book, one of them is invested by Bookworm, one of them is a Mimic. Your job is to tell which one’s which.”

The students stare at the three books. Isn’t this too easy?

Well, of course it’s not. To add a twist, Junhoe takes out a transparent jar, and open the lid. There is a label on the jar; it says… “Poltergeist”. Oh, no…

Soon enough, the three books start levitating. The books then spin in circles, and start dancing in front of the students, as if mocking them.

“Well, what are you waiting for?”, Junhoe said, sitting down on his chair and takes out another book to read.

Annoyed, Yunhyeong stands up from his chair and casts a Poltergeist-banishing spell, earning a smirk from Junhoe. Consequently, the books stop moving… for one second; they resumed dancing pretty much right after, even starting to dance in a way that screams, “Na~ na~ na~ na~ na~ na~, miss me!!! :P”.

“You are cruel.”, Chanwoo commented.

“Anything for my students.”, Junhoe sarcastically responded. He then looks at Chanwoo, “I’m not bound by human’s ethics.”, he declared.

“Is that a hint?”, Chanwoo asked, eyes wide.

“A hint to figuring me out, yes.”, Junhoe said, quickly returning to his book.

The students go to the front one by one trying all kind of spells, but nothing revealed the books identity so far. Yes, someone tried feeding them, but it does not help when there is a Poltergeist that makes the books dance. Meanwhile, Donghyuk just sits down quietly, watching everyone else panicking.

“This is not an unpassable exam…”, he whispered quietly to Yunhyeong.

“Do you know the answer?”, Yunhyeong whispered back.

“I mean, there must be a way. But we need to use our brain instead of just throwing random spells.”, Donghyuk explained. He then remembers something: Junhoe has shown them his collection before, and Donghyuk recalls that Junhoe gave them commands.

“They don’t have eyes, do they?”, Donghyuk asked.

“Nope. I don’t think so.”

“Then, I think I can try something.”, Donghyuk said as he stands up. He casts a spell on his throat, and says, in Junhoe’s voice, “Everyone, say hi.”.

Hearing the command, the book labeled A and C stop dancing, and start flipping their pages from the front to the back, and right to the front again, while the book labeled B stop dancing and look around as if confused.

“That’s one down.”, Donghyuk proudly said, earning an “Ooh…” from Chanwoo and the students, while Junhoe laughs and claps his hands.

“Ow… Look at poor Poltergeist; he is sad now…”, Junhoe said. After he said that, the book labeled B is dropped to the desk by the Poltergeist, and the remaining two books continue dancing.

Now everyone knows the trick: there must be a command that can differentiate between the Bookworm and the Mimic. So, the students’ job is to find out what that command is.

Now, the students go to the front one by one and try all sort of different commands in Junhoe’s voice. Unfortunately, most of them don’t work, and if they do, both books behave similarly.

Chanwoo also gets deep in thought. He lives with Junhoe, and he indeed knows that Junhoe gives commands to his books a lot. So, if anyone can figure out the magic words, it should be Chanwoo.

Then, he remembers something he overheard. His memory is fuzzy, and when he heard it, he doubted what he heard and disregarded it as mishearing; but, he does have a slight suspicion that he wasn’t hearing things.

Chanwoo stands up, earning gazes from Junhoe and the students. He then casts a spell on his throat. The students are excited; they know these two teachers are very close, and Chanwoo is the person that can most likely solve this riddle.

Chanwoo clears his throat, and says, in Junhoe’s voice, “I want you to spy on Chanwoo.”.

Hearing the command, the Mimic book turns into… Chanwoo’s underwear!

Chanwoo’s eyebrows twitch a few times at the revelation. He then lashes out at Junhoe. “You did what!?”

“I did nothing.”, Junhoe innocently lied, blinking his eyes a few times.

“What do you mean nothing!? What is that!?”, Chanwoo yelled, pointing at the Mimic. “Are you secretly replacing my stuff with your Mimic!?”

“Umm… I did that to protect you…”, Junhoe said, insisting that he’s blameless.

“That’s not protection!!! That’s privacy infringement!”, Chanwoo shouted. “I want you to take back all your Mimic! Now!”, he commanded.

“Now? Like, right now?”, Junhoe asked.

“Yes! Now!”

“But… but…”, Junhoe said, pointing at Chanwoo’s whole outfit.

Chanwoo facepalms. “Are you saying that… everything that I wear right now is your Mimic?”

Junhoe innocently nods.

Chanwoo groans. “Unbelievable!!!”, he said as he stomps out of the room.

The students were shocked by Chanwoo’s sudden outrage. But, after the shock passed, they realize that they now know the answer! In the end, they cheer for Chanwoo just before he leaves the room.

Junhoe sighs. “Well, now you all know the answer.”, he said to the students while standing up and leaving the room. Truth to be told, he is leaving because he just lost his face…

“What about our mark?”, Donghyuk asked.

“You all pass.”, Junhoe stated simply.

The whole class cheers. Yunhyeong goes ahead and hugs Donghyuk from behind. “Well, that’s thanks to you.”, he said with a relieved sigh.

“Not really. We should thank Chanwoo.”, Donghyuk said, deflecting the praise.

“Well, let’s get something nice to celebrate!”, Yunhyeong offered.

“Don’t we have another exam tomorrow?”

“Don’t remind me.”, Yunhyeong said as he takes Donghyuk’s arm and drags him out.

 


 

That night, Junhoe gets a visitor.

“You are… Yunhyeong, right? I remember saving you.”, Junhoe stated.

“Whoa…! You remember me!”, Yunhyeong gasped in awe.

“What do you want?”, Junhoe asked straight to the point.

“That Mimic thing, how do you do that?”

“Do what?”

“You know… spying…”, Yunhyeong said in a shy tone, looking down.

“Oh…! With proper training, why?”

Yunhyeong then looks up and gives Junhoe a gleaming stare. Junhoe sighs, “Do you want to spy on your boyfriend? That Donghyuk guy?”.

Yunhyeong quickly nods.

“Do you want me to teach you how to do it?”

Yunhyeong nods even harder.

Junhoe sighs again. “Sure. But I’m not responsible for any breakup.”