Chapter 3: Advanced Class - Ogre

Beastmaster

“Have you heard about the new beastmaster?”, Bobby asked as he takes a seat next to Hanbin.

“Hmm? What’s with him?”, Hanbin asked back, clearly out of the loop with current gossips.

“I heard he led the basic class through a portal, which ended with a disastrous result!”, Bobby answered, gesturing with his hand to indicate how bad the disaster was.

“What disastrous result?”

“I don’t know…”, Bobby honestly replied.

Hanbin rolls his eyes. “Then you shouldn’t believe in such a baseless rumor.”, he advised.

“You should believe on such rumor.”, a sudden voice appeared behind them. Out of surprise, the two students leap up from their chair and turn around. It’s Junhoe!

Junhoe continues. “Because today, I’ll lead you through one such portal.”, he said while walking to the front of the class.

It takes Hanbin and Bobby a while to regain their composure, but when they do, they finally realize that Chanwoo is walking behind Junhoe.

When Junhoe arrives at the front of the class, he quickly puts his bag on the teacher desk and takes out a few crystals.

“We’re visiting an Ogre village.”, he nonchalantly said as he arranges the crystal.

“Eh…!?”. Unlike in the basic class, the students in the advanced class are not excited by the news. They have heard of Ogre before, and having to deal with Ogre is never a good thing.

Sensing the class’ reluctance, Junhoe tries to comfort them. “What are you afraid of? They’re civilized species.”

“Yes, but they eat humans!”, Bobby protested.

“Nope, unless you offend them.”, Junhoe explained. He then smirks, “Or when they’re hungry.”.

The whole class groans at Junhoe’s comment, while Chanwoo just smirks.

“What’s so funny? You’re not afraid?”, Junhoe asked to Chanwoo while opening the portal.

“Why should I? You’re here with me.”, Chanwoo replied with a simple yet effective response that immediately shuts Junhoe up. No, Junhoe is definitely not blushing, ok!

When the portal is finally open, Hanbin stands up and asks, “Do we really have to go?”.

“Yes. I’ve some business with the Ogres’ elders. Meanwhile, you guys will go with Chanwoo and take some notes on their culture.”, Junhoe said. The students seem relieved that their teacher at least has some connection with the Ogres. Junhoe adds, “They won’t hurt you unless you do something stupid… like in the previous class.”

He then sees Chanwoo approaches the portal. “What are you doing?”, he asked.

“I thought you want me to check for any danger on the other side?”

“Why would I give you such a dangerous job!? Step back!”, Junhoe demanded.

“But…”

Junhoe physically pulls Chanwoo back while he enters the portal himself. Not even fifteen seconds later, he returns.

“Alright. Let’s get going.”, he said to the class.

 


 

The Ogre village is surprisingly… calm. The students definitely expected a lot more from such an aggressive tribe.

“Remember what I told you: don’t do anything stupid and you’ll be fine.”, Junhoe clarified.

“What are we supposed to write?”, Hanbin asked.

“Anything. Clothes, food, plays, house shapes; I don’t care. Think about it this way: what kind of knowledge will help you in dealing with Ogres? That’s what you’re looking for.”, Junhoe explained. “Now, I’ll take my leave. Good luck.”, he said, before quickly adding, “You’ll need that luck.”.

“Eh…!?”, the students groan in unison.

When he is walking away, he stops and turns around. “Oh, I forgot something. It’s better not to speak to them. Ogres have no interest whatsoever in learning human language, and insisting on talking to them in human language will be taken as an insult.”, he explained, before continuing on his way.

“Ok, let’s start!”, Chanwoo happily exclaimed, seems unaffected by the anxiety that is obvious on the students’ faces.

“You can split if you want…”

“No, thanks! We’ll stay in group.”, the students responded.

The students start walking slowly, wary of any sudden rustle in the background; following Chanwoo that’s joyfully skipping in front of them.

The village is eerily empty. Where are all the Ogres?

But soon enough, they discover them. The Ogres are making a big circle; it seems that they’re playing some kind of game.

The Ogres notice the group of students approaching, but they quickly disregard them and continue what they’re doing. The students approach them slowly, and when they’re close enough, they can see what the Ogres are actually doing. They are playing a game that’s unlike any human game; the game can be best described as a combination of soccer, basketball, baseball, and Ogre’s enormous strength.

The students peacefully take a spot in the corner, watching the game. Hey, this is actually not bad!

After a while, one of the Ogre kicks the ball high in the sky… and the ball is heading toward the students!

The students freak out. They have absolutely no idea how the game works; should they dodge the ball, should they catch it, should they block it? What should they do!?

In the end, the ball is heading toward Bobby, so he simply catches it with his two hands. After he caught it, all the Ogres’ eyes are staring at him. The students nervously await the Ogres’ reaction. Will they get angry? Will they cheer for him?

The Ogres start talking among themselves. Then, the talks turn into shouts, and the shouts turn into weapons.

“Oh no…”, Hanbin sighed.

Bobby looks around in confusion. “What? What did I do? Did I just offend them?”

“No sh…, Sherlock!”, Chanwoo declared.

“No time for that! Run!”, Hanbin shouted.

The horde of Ogres starts chasing the ill-fated students. Some of the students try to throw a few spells at the Ogres, hoping to slow them down. But a spell can only do so much on Ogre’s sturdy physique.

“Run toward the portal!”, Chanwoo gave an obvious instruction. He’s already in the very front of the group. He’s fast!

Because of the Ogres’ large number, the group of students becomes split. Bobby is running alongside Hanbin.

“Can we get out of this alive?”, Bobby asked.

“Don’t think. Just run!”, Hanbin said.

However, they’re stopped in their track as a small group of Ogres suddenly appear in front of them.

“Oh, no. We’re surrounded!”, Hanbin exclaimed. He tries throwing a fireball at one of the Ogre, but it only annoys the Ogre even further.

Eventually, they get captured.

Unbeknownst to them, Chanwoo is watching from the top of a tree. Seeing the two students get captured, he casts an invisibility spell on himself and set off to find Junhoe.

 


 

Where is he?

Chanwoo has been circling the entire Ogre village twice, but there is no sign of Junhoe. Well, he said he would be talking to the elder; is he in a secret place?

Chanwoo then approaches the place where Hanbin and Bobby are held captive. To his relieve, no other students are captured by the Ogres.

He observed what the Ogres are doing; they’re preparing a fireplace. Great! They’re going to eat them.

Chanwoo dashes off again; still trying to find Junhoe. Finally, he notices Junhoe getting out from an Ogre house. He quickly runs toward Junhoe and grabs his hand, dragging him toward the forest.

Once in the forest, Chanwoo reveals himself. Before Chanwoo can stay anything, Junhoe holds out a hand. “Wait, let me guess. The students did something stupid and are now hold captive by the Ogres.”

“Well, not all of them. Just two.”

Junhoe hums. “Ok, you go back to the portal. I’ll handle this.”

“And how exactly are you going to handle this?”, Chanwoo asked.

“I have a way. Trust me.”, Junhoe insisted.

“Alright, fine. I’ll wait at the portal.”, Chanwoo conceded. Except he didn’t. He walks away toward the direction of the portal, but mid-way, he casts the invisibility spell again and goes to the place where Hanbin and Bobby are held captive. He then climbs a tree, and wait. He wants to see how Junhoe resolves this.

 


 

“Hey, Hanbin.”, Bobby tried to call Hanbin. They’re now tied to a stick like a Kebab stick; ready to be roasted by the Ogres.

“Hanbin…”, Bobby tried again.

“What!?”, Hanbin replied with annoyance.

“I just want to say…”

“Say what?”

“If we don’t come out of this alive… I want to say… I love you…”

Hanbin sighs at Bobby’s sudden confession. “Great! We’re going to die, eaten like fried chicken. And here you are, confessing your feeling. Oh, so romantic!”, he said sarcastically.

Bobby responds with a melancholic tone, “Don’t put it like that… My feeling for you is real until the very end.”.

“Why don’t you use that feeling to think of something?”

“I did...! And I think I love you.”

Hanbin sighs again. We’re really going to die, aren’t we?

But suddenly, an Ogre elder appears. He gives some commands on the Ogres, and the Ogres complain at first, but they finally do as they’re told and release Hanbin and Bobby.

As soon as they’re released, the elder seems to be talking to Hanbin and Bobby in Ogre language. They don’t understand what he’s saying, but they’re sure it’s something like, “Leave and don’t ever come again.”.

Regardless, they immediately take their leave and run toward the portal.

Meanwhile, Chanwoo just stares at the event that just unfolded in front of his eyes. How did Junhoe manage to do that!?

 


 

When Hanbin and Bobby arrive at the portal, Chanwoo is already there waiting for them.

“Oh, you two are safe?”, Chanwoo said, faking his surprise.

“Yeah. We got lucky.”, Hanbin said, catching his breath from the run here.

“Well, good then! Go back. The class is already dismissed. I’ll wait for Junhoe here.”, Chanwoo instructed.

“You don’t have to wait for anyone.”, Junhoe said as he suddenly appears from the forest. “Let’s go.”, he quickly ordered.

Back in the classroom, all the students have already left. Hanbin and Bobby quickly go to their table and grab their belongings, while Junhoe closes the portal and packs his own stuff.

The two students leave first, heading toward the cafeteria.

“So, what are we now?”, Bobby asked while walking.

“What are we what?”, Hanbin innocently asked back.

“You know… Back there, I…”

Oh, right! He confessed.

“Well, what do you want us to be?”, Hanbin asked, stopping so he can take a good look at Bobby’s face.

“Umm… Official?”, Bobby hesitantly said.

“Ok. We’re official now.”

“Really!?”, Bobby asked, eyes wide in surprise.

Hanbin just hums in agreement.

They then continue walking; fingers linked together.

 


 

After a long day, Junhoe is just staying in the outhouse; sitting down and doing nothing in particular. Chanwoo comes and sits down in front of him.

“How did you do that?”, Chanwoo asked.

“Did what?”, Junhoe asked back.

“Persuading that Ogre elder.”

“Trade secret.”

“Don’t give me that!”, Chanwoo complained, suddenly rising his voice. Junhoe stares at Chanwoo, giving him a weird look but says nothing.

“The problem is, I didn’t see you do anything.”

Junhoe then realizes something, “Wait, you were watching?”.

“Yes, I did. But it doesn’t matter! And it’s the same with Yunhyeong too. I didn’t see you inside the river, but you just suddenly come out a hero!”

Junhoe simply hums, waiting for Chanwoo to finish. “Like, how can you do that? I don’t believe you did that yourself.”

Junhoe sighs. “Are you really that ignorant?”

“What do you mean?”

Junhoe smirks. “We’re more similar than you thought.”

“What…?”, Chanwoo asked, looking confused.

“You’ve lived as a human for so long; you forgot you are not a human.”, Junhoe bluntly said.

Chanwoo’s eyes widen from the surprise. “But… I… Are you…?”, Chanwoo hesitated, but he refuses to give in. “No. I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m a human.”, he declared, standing up from his seat and tries to leave.

Junhoe smirks at Chanwoo’s insistence. He then stands in front of Chanwoo; holding Chanwoo’s arm, preventing him from escaping.

“You see, I honestly don’t know what you are. But I’ll figure you out.”, he said while brushing his fingers on Chanwoo’s cheek. “Don’t worry; I’m not in a rush. And, as I said before, I’m not spilling.”

Chanwoo pouts. “There is nothing to figure out. I’m a human, and that’s all you need to know.”

“But that’s not all that I want to know.”

In the end, Chanwoo shakes Junhoe’s grip on his arm and dashes off, while Junhoe just smiles at Chanwoo’s form.