kissing in the rain

A Moment in the Rain

They leap out of the sky. They jump off rooftops. They tumble down waxen umbrellas. Bouncing from the tiles of the city with satisfying syncopation, they drench unsuspecting inhabitants calves-deep. In this little plastic world, raindrops are almost never absorbed. Most of the time, they acquire a life of their own, and make their way pitter-pattering across the city square.

But nature meets a foe today.

The blond boy holds a pink cloud, standing in its way. The droplet almost seems to scream in confusion as it hurtles towards it. If you've ever observed water dropped on cotton candy, you'll know just how fast it sinks in - almost like acid cutting through silk. Within just a second, with a pink blur, the droplet is ejected from the other end.

Today, the boy is too distracted to notice. He stares at the pink cotton candy, but in his mind, a memory of his boyfriend plays in front of his eyes. He sighs wistfully. "Jihoonie..." then immediately snorts. "I'm so whipped."

Although, he can't deny this: the fluffy pink thing? It really looks like Jihoon, what with his new hairstyle. From the colour, the fluffiness...down to the sweetness, that Soonyoung only knew of recently. He adds this object to his growing mental collection of things that remind him of Jihoon. No, that's not creepy at all. With such a conclusion drawn, the boy shoves a handful of fluff into his mouth. Stupid him forgot to take an umbrella. Ah...Jihoonie is going to scold me again...

...not that he minds. His boyfriend is so cute when he gets angry.

But only to a certain extent. Soonyoung recalls a guitar, which leads to a vivid recollection of blood-curdling screams, which leads to memories of a violent chase, which leads to a rather foggy (I wonder why?) recollection of something crashing down on something else with a loud crack. Soonyoung doesn't really remember the rest of that incident. And that scares him a little.

Speaking of heads getting hit, his happens to be suddenly stuck in the fabric of an umbrella. Only one person is so much shorter than him that the drastic height difference leads to an umbrella-sharing mishap.

"Ah Soonyoungie," Jihoon's voice chides, "don't flail around so much. You're going to hit someone with that cotton ca- mmph- "

Soonyoung had pushed the cotton candy directly onto Jihoon's face, and because of the humidity, it stuck. When Soonyoung extracts himself from the top of the umbrella, he almost falls over in laughter. The cotton candy is big enough to hide the entirety of Jihoon's face, and the colour helps it camouflage into his hair seamlessly. Jihoon's head now looks like a fluffy pink cloud...a fluffy pink cloud that is brewing a storm.

"Aw, Jihoonie, don't get mad," Soonyoung pleads, "I'm sorry. Here, I'll help you take it off." As Soonyoung soon realises, removing the cotton candy is the easy part, but getting rid of the stickiness is a whole other matter. Jihoon lightly fumes as Soonyoung wipes his face with the dampened sleeves of his long sweater.

Out of the blue, Soonyoung bends down and lightly kisses Jihoon's soft cheek.

"You actually taste better now." He points out, courting death.

"And whose fault is that?"

"Me." Soonyoung happily quips.

Jihoon looks up at the bright, smiley, oversized-kid of a boyfriend. How am I supposed to get mad at this idiotic face.

He says huffily, "Alright you can stop ogling at me now. Give me some of that candy as compensation." Eager to please, Soonyoung holds the stick out and they resume walking under the pattering rain, the diminishing cotton candy shared between them.

When it disappears, Soonyoung sighs wistfully, "This weather is perfect for romance." He grins and winks at Jihoon.

Until a few days ago, Jihoon never dreamt of ever dating his crush, and it took a long while after that till Jihoon finally let himself go and reciprocated Soonyoung's approaches. This time though, already more used to opening up, Jihoon shyly obliges and angles his head. Their lips meet in a chaste kiss.

Soonyoung smiles into the kiss. "You taste like cotton candy."

"Stop saying that or I really will get mad," Jihoon says in a lower voice than usual. "Are you asking to be punished?"

And then, gazing up at Soonyoung, his face melts into one of his softer expressions.

"Hm...am I?" Intoxicated, Soonyoung drunkenly leans back in for a second kiss.

Voice barely a whisper, Soonyoung murmurs, "I love you."

The kiss is slow and sweet.

"Idiot...I love you too."