Chapter Two

His Little Prince

'Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...'

A soft and breathy voice travelled lightly through the halls of the empty library.

'Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens...'  

A tall soilder of five feet and ten inches stalked quietly amongst the tall wooden shelves that held hundreds of leather-bound books.  The more steps he took, the louder the voice became.

'Brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favorite things...'

The general stopped at the edge of a shelf, only to peek an catch a sight of a petite boy sitting by a large bay window and singing to himself.  

Smilling to himself a bit, Jungkook decided to make the solo a duet.  

"When the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad...."  A light but dark voice joined in, causing Jimin to look up from his book.  A soft smile graced his prepubescent face when he was met with his only friend, Jungkook.

  'I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad...'

With the song ended and Jimin found, Jungkook came closer until he was plopped down right beside the young prince.  Close to the young boy, Jungkook was used to his faces and what they meant.  After years of guarding him, it was easy to tell that Jimin puffed out his cheeks when he was fustrated, he scrunched his nose when he was confused, he bit his lower lip when he was nervous, he pouted and curled into himself when he was sad and smiled gleefully on any normal day.  

To the general's dismay, the boy was quiet and his posture was less than confident.  Although the prince kept a small smile on his face, it was very obviously fake.  Seeing the prince in this state was something very worrisome, for he lived a very pampered lifestyle and even then was Jimin extremely humble and content with eveything.  There was a reason he was upset.

"Don't give me that fake smile.  You know I don't tolerate anything false.  I want you to be as real with me as possible."  The older scolded.

Jimin's 'smile' dropped as he grew a bit more flustered.   

"It's nothing to worry about hyung.  Aren't I allowed to have a bad day every once and a while?"  Jimin mumbled while closing the cover of one of his favorite books; a one about Greek mythology.  The thirteen year old boy then looked next to him to see his gaurd give him a skeptical look.  

"Well, tell me what happened to make the day go sour?"  Jungkook asked carefully.

"Nothing in particular.  I just overheard a conversation in my father's office and it has me thinking."

"About what Jiminie?" 

**

Jimin grew up with a very small family.  

All he had was himself and his father.  Long time ago, Jimin was told that he had a mother, however, Jimin couldn't strain his memory that far back to recall the late queen.

But then while walking alone in the gardens the young prince couldn't help but over-hear a servant gossip to another worker about the castle's latest guest.

"She should arrive tommorow early in the morning, our majesty ordered us to clean out the old master guestroom."

"The master guestroom?  No one has been in their for years!  Who is the guest to be that important in the King's eyes?"

"What?!  You don't know?"

"What?  Is she a princess or something?"

"No, she is the King's mother.  She used to rule as Queen, but when her husband died and her son took the throne, she spent all of her free-time pushing him to get a wife.  When he finally did, she chose to move to China.  Now, she's back."

"Huh, I wonder if the prince ever met his grandmother."

And that was all it took for Jimin's heart to swell in a heavy but wonderful feeling.

He had a grandmother.

A grandmother!

Quickly, the prince raced to his room to brainstorm a gift for his long-lost family member.  He wondered what she looked like?  Did she have his father's face?  Maybe she was tall and her smile was just as gummy as her sons'.  Perhaps she enjoyed music.  Or maybe a good cup of tea.  Jimin wondered if he could go into town and get her a good book.  Or maybe he should start practising a piece on the piano for her to listen to when she arrives.  

Jimin couldn't believe it, he had more family than he thought.

The next day, Jimin had a plan.  He was going to preform a traditional tea act to show clear respect and admiration to his grandmother.  It was a Korean tradition.

Jimin was ready to prepare the water and everything, when he decided to stop at his father's office for advice about his grandmother.

Once the young boy came across the wooden, double-door entrance he suddenly stopped at the sound of arguing.

Curious at what can make his level-headed dad so angry, he leaned closer in an attempt to discover what the arguement was about and with who. 

"He is thirteen years old Min Yoongi!  What schooling has he had?  When you die, he will be left to your throne and he needs to be mentally prepared.  We must leave this kingdom with an intelligent king to rule over."  A soft but frim female voice explained.

"Mother, I will hire teachers if you insist but all schooling will be done from home.  I have too many enimies oustide these walls to leave my only son out there."  Jimin heard his familiar father's voice echo inside the office.  Jimin realised with a heavy heart, that the person his father was arguing with must be his one and only grandmother.

"Come on, you and your brother were sent to a private boarding school over-seas, and look how you two turned out.  Please, even if it's just for a year or so, consider it.  I have allies in Japan that will be willing to look after him."

"No!  I said no!  He is MY son and I will do what I wish with him.  And anyone who tries to take him from me isn't a welcomed guest of our castle."

"Just what are you implying, son?"

"I'm implying that it is a good thing you haven't unpacked yet, for I will have to have you escorted out mother."  The king spat out that last word as if he was disgusted to even say such a word.

Shocked but scared at being caught eavesdropping, Jimin quickly escaped to his safe-haven; the library.

**

Jungkook sat still next to the boy, the words still processing in his head from the story he just heard.

"So....you overheard you father and grandmother arguing over you."

"Yes...and I....think for the first time ever, I sided with someone else other than my dad."

Jungkook's jaw dropped.

"What?  You want to go to a boarding school?"

Jimin was silent for a while, just thinking.  It was true that he spent all his life inside the same building he was born in.  However, what his grandmother said was also true. One day, Jimin will grow up and become King of his land, and although Jimin was smart, he needed to be taught the ways of politics, war and social situations that his father just refused to discuss with Jimin due to him being too 'innocent'.  Jimin once saw a quote in old book that read, 'You can never aquire too much knowledge.'  

"Trust me, I don't think it is going to be easy at all.  But, I want to be a good leader to my land when the time comes.  It will literally break my heart to say bye to you and father, but I will return a much better man."  Jimin explained the best way he could.

"Jiminie, your intentions are so admirable and you are so brave to consider such things.  But, your still just a baby.  You shouldn't feel so obligated to leave the country.  You still have all the time in the world until you take the throne."

"I...think I need to go."

***

Supper had came along, and Jimin was nervous to face his father.

He had rehearsed the way he would tell him about school, over and over again in front of the mirror and sometimes with Jungkook playing as his father.  But no matter how much Jimin attemped to picture his father's cold and stern face over the young generals', all he could focus on was how much Jungkook looked like a bunny even when being serious.  

Tummy tying up in knots of anxiety, Jimin sat in his chair waiting for his father whose arrival was being delayed more than usual.  Tonight's dinner was a simple soup, as the winds became harsher with the sure promise of the upcoming winter.  Jimin wondered if his father would be alright with celebrating Christmas alone.  Afterall, they only had each other and the holidays were mostly about family.  

Jimin's thought process was cut off as another presence entered the room.  The young boy looked up to be met with the sight of his father, pulling his chair back to take a seat.  

"G-Good evening, father."  Jimin stuttered.

"Good evening baby.  How was your day?"

Jimin thought carefully about how to tip toe around the topic.  Perhaps it would just be better to bite the bullet and get it out there.

"Well, it was quite uneventful.  However, I have had an idea in mind all day and I can't get it out of my head."  Jimin says.

Yoongi's brow raises in interest as he pours himself a glass of rich, red wine.  

"Do tell, honey."

Jimin bit his lip as a cold sweat began to form on his forehead.  The tension in the dining room weighed heavily upon himself.  Sure, his father had his deep and honey like voice call him 'honey' as he affectionately urged him to continue, however there was no promise for the behavior and treatment to remain this sweet when Jimin tells him the truth.  The King was infamous for his temper, and any slight insult or misbehavior can be push the kind to a red and violent rage.

But, Yoongi was his father.  He would never do such things in front of him, right?  Surely, he would at least respect his choice to leave in pursuit of his own education.  

"Father, I think I would like very much if I left for school."

Yoongi halted his actions.  As he raised his dark eyes to the light ones of his own son.

"Leave?"

Jimin shivered at the unreadable tone.

"Well, I'm a prince.  I just want to be a good one for my people.  I would like very much if I had a formal education."  Jimin tried to reason.

Yoongi couldn't speak.  Suddenly, his sturdy figure began to break out in body aches.  His baby was attempting to leave.  He wanted to leave the safe foundation and protective walls of the home that Yoongi carefully provided for him.  The unpleasantness of the idea of young, vulnerable and priceless Jimin leaving to the outside world caused so much discord upon his brain, that the King began to feel sickened.  Someone as sweet and royal as Jimin could easily be targeted by many political enemies.

"Father, I want to grow up to be an intelligent young man.  Pease understand.  It would kill me to leave you but I have to consider what's best for me and the future of our people."

"I could get you the best of the books this country has to offer.  I will hire as many teachers as you wish.  There is no need for you to leave."  The ice in Yoongi's words chilled Jimin to the bone.

"Father, it's not the same.  You cannot buy me what the real world has to teach me.  I need to expierence things outside of these walls.  Please say you'll understand."

Yoongi remained silent as he greedily gulped down his precious wine.

"Son, I will not be able to protect you after you leave."

"That's a risk that I'll have to take."

****

Jimin woke up with a pounding headache.

He groaned as he rolled over onto his side.

Last night was painful to recall. 

For the first time ever, the King left Jimin at the table with no words.

It was obvious that his father was angry at him.  And this fact was too much to handle.  No else loved Jimin as much as his father did.  And for the first time in his thirteen years of life, Jimin felt truly alone.

Jimin laid there on his silk sheets as he felt the sun seep through his thin curtains and hit his sun-kissed, prepubescent body.

No motivation whatsoever stoke Jimin to get up.  He preffered to just lay there, and soak up the silence of the morning.  The prince's head felt heavy and ached as the result of last night's crying.  His chocolate eyes were hidden behind the swollen skin of his eyelids and his florally pink lip were cracked, dry and slightly bleeding due to the constant lip-biting in attempt to silent his uncontrollable sobs.

Perhaps it was time for Jimin to apologise.

Maybe he was just being selfish.

Afterall, many royals were taught from home.

Jimin sniffed as he heard the door suddenly open, announcing the arrival of the maid.

"I'll be down in a minute."  The prince groaned.

"Actually Young Majesty, the King suggested breakfast in bed this morning."  A soft voice countered.

Shocked, Jimin looked up and indeed saw the maid holding a tray full of fruits and pancakes.

Suddenly Jimin's eyes watered.

His dad didn't even want to eat breakfast with him.

The maid set the tray down on the bedside table, but then she suddenly pulled out a folded paper and passed it onto the young and confused boy.

"What's this?"  He asked in a croaky voice.

"I'm not sure, you Father requested I sent this."

Jimin waited until the maid left the room to open the letter.

'Pick one and I'll prepare a carriage:'

What folowed below was a list of boarding schools.

Jimin huffed as a tear slid down his cheek.

So, he really was leaving.

*****

It had been three days since Jimin had come face to face with his father.

It would only be 20 minutes before the carriage would arrive to whiskn the young prince away.

Jimin stood outside of his home as he hugged Jungkook, promising to write whenever he can.

"Eat all three meals a day, sleep eight hours a night, don't let anyone walk all over you, pay attention to your studies and know when to have fun and take a break."  Jungkook chided like a true mother hen as he squeezed Jimin's cheeks.  

"Okay, I promise."  Jimin managed to get through his chubby cheeks.

The gaurd continued to hover over the young boy, mentioning how lonely he will be without the prince there to brighten his bleak days.  Jimin blushed and told Jungkook he was being over-dramatic, but in all honesty he was just trying not tear up by the thought of not seeing his beloved body guard for a very long time.

Eventually a carriage pulled up to the castle, meaning it was time for Jimin to leave.

The young prince sighed heavily as he watched a servant begin to load his luggage onto the carriage.

"Kookie, does he really not want to see me?"  Jimin whispered.

The young general's soft grin dropped.

"You know your Father is a busy man.  I'm sure he'll write you letters."  Jungkook tried to lie with a smile, but Jimin wasn't buying it.

"Goodbye, Hyung."  Jimin rushed out before running to the carriage, trying not to let anyone see his tears of betryal and guilt.

******

Yoongi watched from his office window as his son left the estate.

Yoongi's bloodshot eyes revealed the true emotion that his stone-cold mask wouldn't; he was tired, depressed and lost.

His son was gone.

So what did the king have left?

Nothing.

Nothing of worth anyway...

Yoongi couldn't uphold the promise he made to Min Jimin the moment he was born.  Now that he was gone, the King couldn't protect him.  Jimin would now be exposed to everything Yoongi promised to keep him from.  

However, Yoongi had to let him go.

Yes, Yoongi would go to hell and back to keep Jimin from anything evil.  However, Jimin wanted to leave.  And no matter how much it hurts Yoongi, he would give his baby whatever he wanted.  It didn't matter how much it killed him.

Yet, the King couldn't bring himself to say goodbye to his baby.

Because there would be no garauntee Yoongi would be able to supress the need to lock Jimin in the castle foever.  So Yoongi faught the urge to run to Jimin and cage him in his arms, simply because there was no promise he would ever let go.

"Majesty?"

Yoongi turned around to be met with his advisor.

The older man supressed the urge to gasp at the deep and dark bags that laid beneath the King's eyes.

"What is it?"  Yoongi asked harshly as he took a seat by the fireplace to pour himself yet another glass of whiskey.

"The list of eligible bachlorettes in Korea you requested is ready."  the advisor said while avoiding eye contact.

Yoongi sighed as poured the drink while stroaking his stubble.

"Well, let's see it."

*******

"Breakfast is at 7 am sharp, lunch at 12 and dinner at 7.  Everyone who is caught outside of their rooms after 8 will be punished accordingly."

Jimin nodded as he let himself be lead down the hallway by the school's principle.

"You have five classes a day.  Math, Reading & Writing, History, Social Etiquette, Basic Language and Gymnstics.  We have extra classes about politics and royal rullings every Sunday but you will have to sign up for that on your own."

Jimin smiled, liking how formal and smart his schedual sounded.  He had no doubt in his mind that he will become a better man in no time with this proper education.

"Sir, the moment you enrolled in this school, you became a student.  We will not treat you like a prince as no special treatment is given here.  You are surrounded by many royal young men and you will all be treated equally.  Am I understood?"

Jimin nodded at the stern woman.

"Good, now here is where you will be staying.  If you have any problems with your roomate, come find me.  Your uniform should be on your bed.  Good luck."

The lady walked away, leaving Jimin alone with his luggage by a door.

Jimin took a deep breath as he silently prayed that his roomate wasn't mean or unwelcoming.

With some level of hesitation, Jimin opened the door and stepped inside.

A tall, lean boy stood by the window.  He had brown hair and was wearing the school uniform, however he wasn't facing Jimin face to face.  Feeling awkward, Jimin cleared his throat.

The boy turned around and revealed a box-like smile as he observed Jimin from head to toe.

"You must be my new roomate.  I'm Taehyung."

**********

Word Cound- 3,215

PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR NOT UPDATING IN FOREVER.  I was so absorbed in my finals for school and then I made a tumbr account (btw follow me on there my name is kpopsafeplace) and I honestly didn't know where to go with this story for a while.  But it's now summer so I'll be writing alot.  Please comment and let me know if you guys have any ideas that you'd like to see on here bc this is all a work in progress and any idea or thought will be taken in consideration as I write the upcoming chapters.  Anyway, have a good day!