Step Four

Turn Up The Music
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I think we are getting too old to look after our grandchild sometimes” spoke a man softly while watching the little girl running around their little living room. She was excited when she had heard that they would make a short trip to the place that her grandfathers had first officially met. He could still hear her squealing asking when they would go and they both should hurry up.

“It's not even like she hasn't visited that place before.” spoke the other man with a big smile on his face. “And it's also not one of our favorite places, no not at all. Even if it has changed in all these years, our memories remain.”

“Yes, always.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Youngjae was getting anxious since he hadn't seen Jaebeom for two days after they had their final meeting in that coffee shop. He hoped that the older didn't avoid him because of what he had said to him. Youngjae still felt flustered when he just thought about the possibility of the words the dancer had said and what he had by accident blurred out. He had thought about the words himself not just about the feelings but also about everything that Jaebeom had said. So he had noticed that in class whenever there was something that had to be done in a group, it wasn’t that his classmates didn't want to partner up with him, but it was he himself that had always tried to get away and do it on his own. So he had now two group projects which he would have previously all done by himself, to be done in a group and was now with the two other people in the coffee shop he worked at. Words had gotten around that there was a special coffee only special people would get and it seemed a challenge for his classmates to prove to his coworkers they meant no harm to him.

“Youngjae what do you think about this?” the voice of his classmate Dowoon reached him through his thoughts. Lost he looked at the two in front of him.

“Sorry my mind was somewhere else, where are we again?” Instead of getting annoyed that he wasn't paying attention, the two started chuckling.

“Your mind is once again miles away isn't it? Could it be because of a certain dancer who suddenly stopped appearing in front of you?” Dowoon spoke again while smirking at him. Youngjae could feel heat creep up his cheeks, caught he didn't know what to answer.

“No worries he and the others are just out of the city for a competition but they should be back by tonight or that's at least what Wonpil told me, you know he and Jinyoung are close.”

“Yes Jae hyung said something similar about Mark hyung and he was so annoying because they wouldn't be able to game against each other, for what two days? Seriously, those hyungs, like it isn't their senior year and they have more important stuff to do.”, spoke Changkyun while sipping on his coffee only to make a grimace.

“Cold coffee really is not mine.” Another round of chuckles erupted from the group of three. Relieve flooded Youngjae, knowing that the dancers were out of town and so wouldn't be able to show up at all had nothing to do with the talk he had with their leader a few days ago.

“Back to our topic what did you want to know my opinion on?” Youngjae tried to get their conversation back to the topic they were there for.

“Don't even try to get away with this now, we are taking a break here.”, spoke Changkyun again a mischievous smile on his face while leaning back on his chair.

“I am not trying to get away with anything. But we have to get this done by friday and I feel like we are miles away from it even be nearly finished.” He really didn't want to discuss anything related to what was going on with him and Jaebeom or if there even was something going on. He himself had no clue.

The words of the dancer were still stuck in his mind like he had heard them just moments ago. He didn't want to discuss this with the two boys in front of him it wasn't that he didn't trust them, but he only slowly started to open up and see the people around him not having anything against him, that they didn’t want to harm him. But the thought that anything he did would get turned against him was still stuck in his mind and he didn’t even know if he wanted to talk about it with anyone yet.

“Sure, we will let you get away with this for now. But just so you know, now that we finally have gotten to actually talk to you, outside of class there will be no way we will keep away from you now that you slowly start to upen up to us. I mean besides you being a genius at literally anything you do in class you’re way too much fun to tease for us to keep away.” spoke Dowoon. The way he said it didn't feel threatening at all more like an information to him that Youngjae had gotten himself two friends somehow without even trying. Two friends that liked to tease and joke around with him.

“Before we continue, I will get us another round of coffee. This round will be on me.” Spoke Changkyun who had pushed the cup which still had some coffee in it but had turned cold, away from him. Chucking Youngjae waved at Youngmin who had been leaning on to the cash register who had gotten the clue to prepare more coffee for the three.

 

Later that evening when Youngjae was back in his dormitory he kept on checking his phone. His fingers were itching to text Jaebeom asking how the competition went but he also didn't know what to write exactly. Thus he put his phone away like he had done a dozen times ever since he had returned to his room.

Just seconds later when his phone started ringing he got startled. Who would call him that late in the evening? His parents never called through the week, they had their usual call time on Sunday evening, when Youngjae was mostly back in his dorm from his part-time job and thus would have time to talk with both of them about how his week has been.

The number on the display was not a number he had saved and so he only picked it up hesitantly.

“Hello?” he spoke softly into his phone only to be greeted by loud noises and lots of different voices cheering.

“YOUNGJAEEEE!!” was the first word he could make out clearly. Confused he took his phone from his ear to stare at the number for a second.

“Hello who is this?” he spoke once again but this time louder hoping that the person who was trying to call him to actually hear him beside all the noises beside that person.

“Wait, you don't have my number saved? I am so sad right now sunshine. This is Jackson. The man that helped you and Jaebeom to finally make the first step towards each other.” he heard now clearly through the phone.

“Oh, I'm sorry Jackson hyung I think we haven't exchanged numbers up till now. How come you're calling me and what is all that noise beside you?”, Youngjae spoke into the phone, while sitting up on his bed, on what he has been lying on ever since he had gotten back to his dorm.

“Wait give me a second I'm just leaving the room then I can hear you better. I am calling you because it seems that our Jaebeom hyung here, is suddenly too shy to do so himself. We will be back in Seoul in a few hours our competition just ended and guess who won?” Youngjae could literally hear the big smile on the other's face.

“Wow, this is amazing congratulations to you all. You've worked hard!”

“I am calling you because we will probably hold a small celebration party in Mark and mine's dorm when we arrive and we all expected our leader to tell you about this but he seemingly keeps on trying to get away when we just mention your name. So I am doing this now. You know even if you aren't in our dance team ever since we had our meal together last week we consider you our special team member. And thus you have to be there when we celebrate our win.”

 

There was no way any of Youngjae's excuses were acceptable for Jackson. So he found himself waiting in front of the entry to the dormitories, he knew Jackson and Mark’s was located at. The older had told him they should be there roughly 2 hours later, and that he didn't need to bring anything besides his cute smile, yes this was what Jackson had said only to laugh loudly after a comment from one of the others that Youngjae wasn't able to hear through the phone. Youngjae felt out-of-place waiting in front of the dorms of the seniors, many of them had already offered him to lead him inside but he had no clue on which floor he would have to get to and waiting right by the entrance was as awkward as waiting in front of it. The words Jackson had said before about Jaebeom being too shy to call him himself led him to think that if he wouldn't have had to get out of the city, he would have probably avoided him, anyway. Thoughts of just going back to his own dorm appeared in his mind, but he also knew that the Chinese who had spent roughly 20 minutes talking him into coming would have probably materialised by his doorstep only to drag him to their celebration party.

The noise of an arriving car ripped him out of his thoughts. The car or rather the van that drove towards him to get to the parking lot right in front of the building was obviously the car he was waiting for, because Jackson was already sticking his head out of the window to grin at him widely.

“Youngjae!” was the only word he screamed when he was suddenly pulled back inside the van again. When it passed Youngjae, he could hear loud laughter erupting from the inside and once the van had found its spot on the parking lot, they pushed the doors open. The six dancers exited the van and Youngjae could see that Jackson was being held back by no one else but Jaebeom, else he would have probably dashed towards him right after getting out of the car.

“Come on hyung let me go! You can have him for yourself later.” This just made him to get smacked lightly on the head. Once again loud laughter escaped from the group and Jackson was pouting at their leader.

Once they got to him every one of them were smiling brightly at him, all of them threw their hands around him as a greeting, all except one, Jaebeom.

Jaebeom waited for the others to let him go and enter the building.

When it was just him and Jaebeom left standing outside, he couldn't help but feel awkward. Was it really a good idea to just tag along the celebration party? Yes, sure Jackson had said he was practical in their team already but what if Jaebeom had wanted to just be with his team, what if he was intruding them now?

“Thank you for coming Youngjae.,” he heard Jaebeom whispering. His eyes immediately flew up to the older’s face. The gaze he looked at him with, was once again one Youngjae couldn't read nor interpret what it meant.

“Thank you for letting me come. I don't want to intrude or anything but Jackson sounded really persistent on the phone earlier.” he spoke while his gaze once again dropped to his shoes. The words the dancer had said to him days before suddenly came up in his mind again. He had no clue how he should act around the dancer now. He wasn't even sure why he has been so drawn towards him for such a long time and what had changed ever since they had started talking to each other, and what it had meant for him to hear Jaebeom that he might be falling for him even if it really made little sense to him as to why he would be. He knew if the other would be able to hear his thoughts he would probably scold him just like he had done before, but he just couldn't see how there was anything special about him to attract someone like Jaebeom to him.

“Come on, we should get inside or they might get ideas.” With this Jaebeom put his arm over You

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter