prolouge.

恋の予感

He didn't mind seeing color. 
 

Ever since he was born, he didn't pay much mind to it. Sure, the idea of not having a soulmate was a little depressing when he was younger, but he realized something over the years: He was free. The rules of the world's soulmate bullcrap that was forced down everyone's throats -- he didn't have to follow or heed what they said. He didn't have to worry or wonder about his "soulmate" or what color was like -- he had the freedom of choice.

And if there's one thing that Kim Jongdae cherised more than his colored sight, it was his freedom. 

Despite his peculiarity, if you asked him, he's had a full and fairly normal life. He has an amazing job with decent and pleasant coworkers, good friends, a happy and supporting family, and a girlfriend who was so out of his league it was laughable. There was one thing, though, that if he could get he'd truly be satisified with his life and could sleep without any regrets. The thing that could make him truly happy --

            "Not again." Jongdae groaned as his wi-fi bar flickered off in the corner of his screen, interrupting his train of thought. He placed his laptop to the side, standing up from his desk and began to manvuer through the boxes that stood between him and the door. His apartment was small and in the cheaper side of Seoul, and you'd think that living in Seoul, where wi-fi is aplenty and fast, there'd be a decent wi-fi connection even in the cheapest part of town.

             'Unfortunately,' Jongdae thought as he knocked on the door of his landlord's home, 'I'm stuck here in No-Fi Land until next week.'

His landlord was a surly, plain man by the name of Mr. Lee. While Jongdae had no complains about the person or character of Mr. Lee, he had a plethora of negative comments towards his Internet provider and tech support. 

            Jongdae began his complaint even before the door opened wide enough to reveal his landlord, "Mr. Lee, the wi-fi is out again." 

"I'll call the company." There was no anger or irritation in the two's exchange, rather it seemed old, repetitive and more of exasperation of an all too familar conversation making its rounds once more between the two. 

           "You know where I'll be." Jongdae nodded, thanking Mr. Lee as he left. 

Upon returning to his own space, Jongdae let out a tired sigh, his eyes scanning over the boxes and half-packed bags. His two year lease with this apartment complex was up, and the day couldn't come any sooner so he could be free to move into his new place. Another sigh escaped him as he sat back down at his desk, leaving the rest of packing for another day and settling to watch the wi-fi bar (which had nothing) until the company got it fixed. He could be here a while. 

           "Only a week more," he reminded himself, his eyes never leaving the corner of his screen, "You can make it one more week."

The wi-fi bar not responding discouraged him about his survival skills, but he was sure he could do it.

          The fateful day of his "Big Move" did come, and Jongdae did somehow manage to survive another grueling week of undependable Internet connections and late night, last minute packing. His coworker and friend was charitable enough to come by and get a bulk of his boxes and things into his car, however, early on in the morning, the two realized there would be a problem in making the "Big Move" a painless one.

         "There's no way all of your junk will fit." Minseok mused, looking between all of Jongdae's worldly possessions that were currently on display on a sidewalk in Seoul and between his own car. Jongdae grit his teeth. "We'll make it fit." He determined, grabbing a box and marching over to the car. Minseok sighed, doing the math in his head once more as he picked up a box again. "There's no way it'll all fit." He said to himself, but decided against in reminding Jongdae, who was shoving the box into the backseat of his car and heading back for more. 

An hour later, Jongdae stood proudly in front of Minseok's car and Minseok... well, he had to hand it to his friend. When Jongdae wanted something to work, he made it work. Almost everything fit into his car, except three things.

         "Jongdae, there's no way you and those bags will fit." His friend claimed, running a hand through his sweat dampened hair. Jongdae took a minute, gazing at the car and pondering what the best solution would be. He had his laptop and work bag by his side (like he would ever let anyone else touch it besides him) and another sizeable duffel bag filled with clothes and other knick knacks as a result of his last minute packing the night before. 

         Finally, Jongdae relented, "You're right. There's no way I'll fit." He ped the duffel bag, finding a crumpled take out receipt and finding a pen in his work bag and scribbling something down before shoving it into Minseok's hands. 

        "What's this?" Minseok squinted at the cramped writing, grateful that anything work related that he had to do with Jongdae was all on a screen instead of these strange symbols that he was currently deciphering. "My new address, you're going on your own and I'll meet you there." Jongdae shrugged, adjusting the duffel bag over his shoulder and picking up his work bag. 

 Minseok's eyes widened, "And how are you going to get there without me?" At that, Jongdae jerked his thumb behind him, where not even two blocks away and within sight there was a subway entrance. "I'll just take the subway, I need to get used to the transfer from Seokgye to Line 1, anyways." Minseok just shook his head, ruffling his hair again as he looked at the address. "You're sure?"

        "Of course I'm sure." Jongdae scoffed, "I've never second guessed a choice I've made in my life." And with that, he turned his heel, pulling out his phone as he did so to check the train schedule. "Looks like it'll take me roughly an hour, since I might miss this next train. See you there!" He waved, bounding off to the entrance and down the stairs with relative ease despite his luggage. Minseok sighed as he got into his car, surrounded by boxes and igniting the engine, "One of those days, Kim Jongdae, you're going to regret a decision and it's not going to be a small one, either."

It took Jongdae a little more than an hour to get to the right station, and the five minute walk wasn't planned either, so by the time that he had gotten to the apartment complex, Minseok was already unloading and walking boxes into the lobby. "You could've waited for me!" Jongdae exclaimed, gaining his friend's attention as he reached for another box.

      Minseok shrugged, "It's okay. Your landlady was really kind, gave me some iced coffee and the key to your apartment. Apparently your roommate is in class and will be back later in the evening."

"Did I get a name? And is he that young?" Jongdae's nose crinkled, he didn't want to deal with an unruly undergraduate student who didn't know what to do with his life and had no morals. He definitely didn't want any of the roommate situations he had in college, either. He shuddered at the memory of the lazy smirk his Chinese roommate had when he'd walk in on something embarrassing. Now, Yifan was a good guy and they still talked, but he was so cocky sometimes that Jongdae couldn't stand it. 

       Jongdae followed Minseok into the building and to the elevator to get to his apartment. Minseok adjusted the box as he pushed the button with his elbow, "Don't know his age, but I think his name was... Jang? The woman was really quiet and I felt bad asking her to repeat herself after she said it twice." His ears turned red as he spoke, and Jongdae could only imagine how flustered Minseok must of been when an older woman spoke to him and he couldn't understand. He was never good when he didn't comprehend things, even after years of working in an unpredictable field. Jongdae's head tilted up, watching the elevator numbers turn to the bottom floor, dinging and surprisingly, a young foreign girl came out of the elevator, making the two of the jump back as she exited. The girl pushed back her blonde hair, avoiding looking up. 

"Oh. Hello." She greeted politely, hands fidgeting with her backpack straps before running off, not meeting either of their eyes. Jongdae glanced over at Minseok, eye brow raised. "Interesting already." He noted, stepping in with his friend and pressing the button for the third floor. "Still floor 3, right? It didn't change from when I got the confirmation email, right?" He asked as the doors closed. Minseok nodded, watching the numbers blink as they rode up.

       The apartment was quaint, to say the least. Jongdae got his own bedroom, he and his roommate would share the bathroom and the rest of the apartment. The rest of moving in the boxes was not that stressful or that complicated, especially with the aide of the elevator speeding their trips up to his floor. He prayed that he would never see the day that the elevator was out of order. 

After the last box was placed into his room, Jongdae sat on his bed (pre-moved a few days ago by movers that he had paid) and took in the sight. This apartment was already a really nice change from his old one. Minseok stretched in his doorway, resting against the doorframe. "Shouldn't you start unpacking?" He jerked his chin towards the boxes covering most of the floor space. Jongdae shrugged. 

      "Eh, I can do that later. For now, I owe you dinner. What do you want?" He asked, dodging the question. His friend shook his head, "Of course. Why don't we just order Chinese food? Not too expensive and we don't have to go anywhere." Jongdae grinned, pulling out his cellphone, "Two of my favorite things. This is why I like you, Minseok." Minseok snorted and Jongdae thought he heard him mumble something about doing most of the work so he should be buying him food anyways, but ignored it in favor of remembering the number for the take out place and the new address of his apartment complex.

About 30 minutes after the initial order, a knock was heard on the door. Minseok propped himself up on his elbows from where he was on the floor, "They're here already?" Jongdae pushed himself out of the armchair, heading over to the door. "Don't know," He responded, checking through the door and his brow furrowing when he saw a meek looking burnette on the other side.

      He swung it open, eyebrow quirked and startling the other. "Can I help you?" He asked as politely as possible. The other mussed his hair, "Ah! You must be Jongdae, right? I'm Yixing." His nervous smile revealed a dimple, and Jongdae couldn't help but smile back, "Nice to meet you, but why did you...?" Yixing scratched the back of his neck nervously, "Well, I forgot my keys in my room again... I figured you must have moved in by now, so I was hoping you'd be home to let me in." He walked into the room, looking around and catching sight of Minseok. "Oh! Hello!"

"Hi," Minseok pushed himself into a sitting position, "I'm Minseok. Jongdae's friend. I helped him move in today." Yixing nodded. "I see." 

     "The landlady told me your last name was Jang...?" He continued, not wanting to offend but he wanted to confirm what he heard. Yixing laughed a bit, "Oh! Ha, yeah, My last name is Zhang. I'm a pediatrician student here and people usually just call me Jang since it's similar." He shrugged, settling down on the couch in the living room, his bookbag giving a resounding 'thud' as it hit the floor. Jongdae settled back into his armchair. "We ordered Chinese food, if you're interested in eating with us." He offered, not wanting to be rude. 

A soft snort came from his new roommate, "No, I'm okay, thank you though. I'll stay up and chat though. We should get to know each other, after all." Yixing straightened himself up in his seat, preparing himself for the conversation ahead. 

By the time the delivery guy had come, Jongdae knew a lot about Yixing: He was from Changsha, China, had been living in South Korea for almost 7 years for school, his best friend was a fellow student named Kim Joonmyun (who would be over often, he assumed), he wanted to be a physical therapist for children, he used to dance but due to a back and knee injury, and pretty much anything he needed to know about the Chinese male, even his favorite foods and alcohol. 

        "So not to be rude," Minseok asked, swallowing his bite of eggroll, "But for the last few hours we've been without wi-fi and I'd like the password so both of us can check our work updates." Jongdae nodded, looking at Yixing and pulling out his phone, "Do you know the password?" 

Yixing swallowed his drink, his cheeks pinking, "Actually, about that--"

       Jongdae felt his stomach drop, 'Oh god, no.' He thought, swallowing his own food, "Ms. Boo assured me that the wi-fi here was really good and worked perfectly fine --" Yixing jumped a little, "Oh no! It's not that the wi-fi isn't good, I uhm -- I'm hardly ever here, usually spending late nights at my school's library or at my internship, so I just never asked for the wi-fi password..."

A relieved sigh came from Jongdae's lips, "Thank god. Any idea where I can get the password? My job kinda depends on it." And it was true, after all, Jongdae was a journalist and alongside Minseok and their friend Baekhyun, they co-wrote articles together for an online magazine. It was good work, and the fact that Jongdae didn't have to leave his house at all in order to write it was probably the best part about his job. 

        "Oh, we can visit the apartment's techie in the morning. Lives in apartment 42c, the floor above us. I think they should be able to help." Yixin offered, revealing that he didn't have classes until the afternoon tomorrow and should be able to come with him. Jongdae nodded, "That'd be great, thanks, Yixing!" Yixing offered that same dimpled smile, and Jongdae felt as ease with the entire situation. The rest of the evening was filled with idle chatter, Minseok eating most of the meat, Jongdae whining about it, and Yixing's light hearted laughter.

Taking Minseok down to his car, Jongdae tapped the top of it as his friend prepared to leave. "You should get it repainted, the blue's peeling a bit on the top." Minseok rolled eyes, "Okay, Mr. I-See-Colors, thanks for the update. I'll fix it when I can see it." He got into his car, waving, "Be sure you get your wi-fi password, we have that article due on newscasters and ism due in two weeks and we need to get started." Jongdae waved him off, "I got it, I got it. What could possibly go wrong?" 

      "That's what I'm afraid of. Just get it done and let me know when it's done." Minseok started his car and drove off, leaving Jongdae waving at him until he the corner. Jongdae rolled his eyes, "Minseok worries too much. It's just getting a password, honestly, it'll take like, five minutes." He sighed as he turned to walk back into his apartment complex. 

Despite the fact that he needed to unpack and call his girlfriend, by the time he had gotten back into his apartment, Yixing had presumably gone to bed and Jongdae realized just how tired he was himself. So he settled on face planting on his bed, drifting off and leaving his responsibilities to another day. They'd still be there tomorrow, anyways.