two

Bestowed Upon Faith

Amidst of the silence of the room, there was a roar of laughter. Everyone looked at the one who was laughing his out while holding out his tummy. No one shushed Doyoung off. Not even the old man with the glasses. His aunt looked at him, his uncle planted his face on his palms while his cousins smiled at him but not knowing what was the funny thing.

It took him a few good minutes to finish his fit of laughter before wiping his eyes. Doyoung was already panting when the old man cleared his throat. There was formality that made Doyoung straighten his back and calm himself.

“Okay guys, stop with this prank okay? I have watched these thousands of times. Where are the hidden cameras?” Doyoung looked up to look at the ceiling and the walls of their small living room, only to find spider webs and dust hanging from it.

“We surely cannot afford to plan a prank when it’s our national security on the line for seventeen years, your highness. I am Mr. Choi Ki Young, Secretary to the Royal Family.” The man said with a gentle smile. He clasped his hand together and went in front of Doyoung and put a hand on his back. His hand felt light against Doyoung’s back, ushering him slowly to the sofa. All those words like your highness, national security, royal family were foreign to Doyoung and he’s sure that he has only heard it from the movies. They sat beside each other and looked at Doyoung, his face stern.

“I am sure you have already heard the infamous tale of the little crown prince stolen from the palace 17 years ago?” Mr. Choi asked and Doyoung had to recall his history lessons and luckily he was able to remember fragments of it.

“Yes, he was stolen from the palace and until now, no one ever knew where he is and who stole him from the king and the queen.”

“Correct, but we already knew where he is and who stole him.” Mr. Choi spat the words like sharp knives towards his Uncle Jaebom. He looked defeated as he looked away from Doyoung’s gaze. “You are the crown prince, Doyoung. You are the long lost prince of Volaires.” The old man added.

Doyoung could have laughed if it weren’t for the look on Mr. Choi’s eyes. He looked at Doyoung like he’s an owner of a lost puppy. The prince placed his hand on his head, getting dizzy with all the information that he’s been fed. All those history books, all those kids who study how this prince was stolen and never returned struck him. All this time he was the prince.

“But sir, I think you are just mistaken. How can you be so sure that I’m the lost prince?”

“We knew you are the one three years ago. You do remember your physical examination when you entered high school right? We had run DNA tests around the kids around your age. And your results matched with the King’s DNA samples.” Mr. Choi answered as a matter of fact. Like he’s used to explaining things to people.

“Why now? You could have approached us three years ago? Why only now?” Doyoung asked, his voice shaking. He believed that he belonged to this family but now he learned that he was a stranger trying to belong in someone’s home.

“The Palace cannot afford you getting hurt inside the house of your kidnapper.” Mr. Choi’s gaze fell upon his Uncle Jaebom. That explains everything for Doyoung. That’s why his uncle cannot look at him in the eye. That’s why he never felt the affection that nephews should have cherished. Doyoung felt his tears roll down his cheeks, although he never wanted to cry in front of people, he cannot stop the tears falling down from his eyes. There’s so many things that Doyoung wanted to say but nothing escapes from his lips.

“That guy,” Mr. Choi pointed at his Uncle Jaebom. “His real name is Hoejin, from our neighboring country, Signa. He was a general there and apparently, their king was not so pleased at him so he was exiled here and he was ordered to kidnap you. But before you were taken as hostage in their country, the war broke out.”

Aunt Miyoung was looking at Mr. Choi as he tells the untold story of his husband. Based on her reaction, Doyoung noticed that she doesn’t know anything about this and she had only learned this too only this time. She was lied to too, just like him.

“However, after so many years, the war ended because we caught a Signa general in our country guilty of treason by kidnapping the crown prince. Signa, offered peace and the royal family took it. For you Doyoung. To stop all this fight.” Mr. Choi added but the teen can only understand bits of information. All of these sound like a dream to him. He woke up thinking that he’s a normal person but now this man is bombarding him facts about being a royal blood.

It’s like all the things he knew about himself were false. All the things his uncle told him were all lies and just orders from a king. All of it. For seventeen years he had tried to fit himself in his uncle’s heart only to find out that he has been seeking a connection to his kidnapper. The realization hit Doyoung like a punch on the face. His head was spinning as he can feel his nerves tingling right on his fingers. 

“And now, we have come to take you home, your real home together with the King and the Queen. The trial for your kidnapper will be arranged soon. But you don’t have to worry about that.”

“But what about my studies? I am only months away from my graduation. And my job. I can’t just leave without notice. And Yuta—“

“You will still graduate at your high school. However, security will be added around the campus for your safety.” Mr. Choi chuckled and placed both his hands on his back. “Now that you are the prince, you don’t have to work. All you have to do now is focus on your studies and your prince training. A royal guard and a secretary will be assigned to you anytime you need them.”

Doyoung was fascinated by how all of this were carefully planned and organized. Well that’s because they planned this for seventeen years. The secretary stood, guiding the bewildered prince with him to the door when Jiwon, the youngest among the children of his aunt ran to him and hugged his legs. The prince’s heart melted as soon as he saw the look on the younger’s eyes.

“Doyoungie, don’t go. Don’t leave us. You promised you’ll sing me the lullaby you created. Please don’t leave.” The toddler said in between his sobs and Doyoung’s tears poured without him knowing. The prince looked at the kids, crying and weeping because of his departure. Aunt Miyoung was trying to calm her children down so as she was trying to fight her own tears. Although now that Doyoung knew that they were never related, he still feels attached to Miyoung and her children after sharing the same suffering from Jaebom.

The prince knelt and wiped the sniffling child’s cheeks damp with fresh tears before picking him up in his arms. He will surely miss the kids and his aunt who took care of him for years. Doyoung turned to face the secretary who was waiting for him patiently.

“Mr. Choi, can I ask something?” The teen wiped his tears, rocking the kid in his arms to keep him from crying too much.

“You are the prince, you should get used to us being at your disposal.” The secretary said with his most gentle smile.

“Please provide the needs of my aunt and her children. Shelter, food, education, everything they need. Despite of my kidnapper’s hostility towards me, his wife and his children, Aunt Miyoung raised me well, as if I am one of her own. This is the only way I can repay her for her kindness.”

“Consider it done, your highness. We will be waiting for you outside to bid your goodbyes.” The secretary said politely with a bow before leading his guards out of the small house.

As soon as the intimidating men left the house, the kids went scrambling to the prince and hugged every part of him. They have bonded so tightly like siblings and surely, Doyoung will miss all of them. His aunt came half-kneeling, half-crawling to him. Her face red and wet masked with shame. She was sobbing, rubbing her palms together.

“Please forgive us, your highness. My family have sinned you so greatly. We deserve nothing of your kindness.” She wept and her children went beside their mother and bowed and kneeled in front of him. He cannot stand the sight of the small kids bowing with all their might before him. They are so little to understand all of this. Doyoung’s kidnapper was still sitting on the sofa, not sparing a glance on the stolen prince.

“You don’t have to be sorry for the sin you didn’t do. It’s not your burden to bear.” The teen tried to haul the weeping lady into his arms. Fresh tears spilled from the prince’s eyes as he hugged the lady carefully, so that he won’t brush on the dark bruises adorning her arms.

“You are the only one who treated me as your family and that will never change."

“We love you so much, Doyoung. And that too, will never change.” The lady gave her a bright smile even though her eyes are puffy and red because of her sobbing. “You will be a great crown prince and a wonderful king.”

Being a king or even a crown prince was still a bit distant to Doyoung. He was never prepared for something big as this. He was already accepting the fact that he will fail in life but never has he thought what life has in store for him. After all the events, he’s still waiting for someone to crack the joke but nothing came. This is real. Doyoung thought.

“Go now, the King and the Queen are waiting for you at the palace. We will be fine here, don’t worry.” The lady tugged on his children to prevent them from suffocating the prince.

“No, Auntie. You think I will leave you with him?” He said, shooting daggers at his kidnapper. There so many things he wanted to ask. He wanted to ask if why he had done what he did. Was it for money? Honor? But his answers definitely don’t matter anymore.

“Please come with me to the palace. I am sure the King and the Queen—“

“Your highness, that’s too much. I cannot accept that.” Her calling him honorifics makes Doyoung feel so weird.

“Stop calling me that, earlier this morning you’re just calling me Doyoungie.” The mood was so serious that it felt like it’s been so long since he last heard her auntie laugh. “I am serious. I am sure I can get you a job at the palace to support your kids. You will be fine without him.”

Aunt Miyoung was about to retort but he silenced her with a finger on his lips. He tugged Jiwon again in his lap and hugged the boy one last time.

“No buts okay? I’ll have someone to pick you up tomorrow morning and a guard will be here to protect you.” The prince said, and the lady nodded. She can never express how much thankful she is for everything.

The prince spared once last glance on his kidnapper, but he never wanted to say anything to him anymore. Jiwon and Jisung, was clinging on him still as he went outside, assuring both of them that they will still see each other again.

In front of the house was a black car, its glossy coating shining under the dim street lights. The car was too fancy to belong in their neighborhood. Mr. Choi was waiting for him inside the car and a guard held the car door for him.

“I’ll see you guys, soon. Don’t miss me too much okay?” Doyoung tried to smile, gulping down the tears that might escape his eyes. Aunt Miyoung wiped her eyes but gave a small smile back at him. He kissed Seojung, the twins; Jiwon and Jisung, Minhee who’s cradling Donghyun and the baby his Aunt Miyoung was holding.

Doyoung entered the car and the guard shut the door after he was settled on his seat. The prince told the secretary about what he had promised to his aunt. The secretary agreed to it and assured him that he will take care of it. The prince wondered if he’s asking too much.

“Are you ready, your highness?” The secretary placed his hand on Doyoung’s shoulder, stirring the assurance inside Doyoung’s restless mind.

“Yes, let’s go see my parents.” Doyoung replied with a nod and their car went through the night.

 

 

----

Welp-- i know you are waiting for Jaehyun. Just be patient guys okay? Tell me what you think! thanks lovelies!!