Chapter 2

Easy steps to move on

          I was awakened by a cold breeze. However, I didn't want to get out of the comfortable and soft bed. I switched positions and, this time, I was bothered by a warm touch on my arm. A hand that wasn't mine caught my attention. The feeling of laziness vanished when I heard a groan. It definitely came from another person. And the last person I had met was.. Dong Woo.

         I glanced at the one sleeping heavily beside me. Then, I raised the blanket to peek at our bodies. We were both . Both of us. . In a bed.

 

"What are you looking at ?"

 

          I almost fell off the bed when I heard Dong Woo's voice. I felt myself blushing as I raised my face to see him. He was smiling, it seemed to me that he didn't feel uneasy. I couldn't understand his calm because of my own restlessness. He looked so comfortable.

 

"What happened ?"

"It's pretty obvious." he giggled.

"Have we.."

"We've spent the night together. And you started it."

"Oh.." I bit my lip.

"It was amazing."

 

          He caught my hand and we stared at each other.

 

"We can forget about it, if that's what you want."

"I don't think it will be easy."

"Sun Hee, may I be honest ?"

"Yeah ?"

"I loved our night and I hope it won't affect our friendship."

 

          His sincerity left me out of words. I felt nervous as he leaned closer. He pressed his lips against my cheek for a sweet kiss before whispering to my ear.

 

"Now, let me cherish this memory."

"I was so drunk.."

"Trust me, our night was incredible."

"Oppa.." I blushed.

"You proposed to me."

"Oh my.. are you kidding ?"

"We're engaged, my sweet Sun Hee." he said with a smile.

"I can't believe I behaved like this."

"It's lovely !"

"But, how did I end up here ?"

 

          The painful memories of the last night came back to my mind. I remembered the numerous flowers in the lounge, the bottle of wine and Dong Woo's message. Although these memories were torn to pieces, I could recall the main reason of my need to drink. Jae Hyeong had given up on me, on us. I had to live by myself after a love story that lasted three years.

 

          I was brought back to the present moment when Dong Woo's lips touched my forehead. He said that he had to leave soon. I glanced at the clock, which was on the bedside table, and my mouth fell agape. He giggled and said that we had slept a lot after our steamy night.

          I covered my eyes as Dong Woo got out of the bed in his current state. I heard his laugh and, when I allowed myself to look around, he had disappeared. For the first time since I had woken up, I saw the mess of our clothes.

 

"The night was heated, wasn't it ?"

 

          I whispered to myself as my gaze wandered to my on the floor. Suddenly, I realized that it wasn't a dream. I had spent the night with my best friend. And we hadn't slept a lot. I wondered if our relationship would be the same after this night of passion. I couldn't deny that I was troubled by our shared intimacy.

 

. . .

 

          For the third time, Sun Hee avoided my call. She had left already when I had gotten out of the bathroom in the morning. She hadn't left any messages. It was as if she had tried to escape from me and our memories. I had remained understanding. Indeed, I had fulfilled my duties at work, trying to keep Sun Hee off my mind. I had told myself that she needed time to think about what had happened.

          But, I had now finished my schedule and tried to call her several times. She never picked up the phone.

 

"Hyung, give her some time."

 

          My friends and I had gathered at a karaoke club. However, I had not been interested in their performances because my best friend occupied all of my thoughts. I had only told Hoya about what had happened.

 

"It's not going to be easy", he added, "she's just been dumped."

"What if our relationship gets weird ?"

"Well, I don't know how she will react."

"I hope she won't feel pressured."

"Should I talk to her ? She must be happy that you've given her your first time."

 

          I felt shy at the mention of my inexperience.

 

"It-it was-not." I stuttered.

"You don't have to be embarrassed, Hyung."

"Yah Dong Woo, Hoya, isn't Sun Hee coming ?", Sung Gyu shouted because of the loud music.

"She's not picking up my calls."

"She's not working now, is she ?" he asked.

"I don't think so."

"I'll call her." Hoya proposed.

 

. . .

 

         I was sitting on the couch, in front of the television, but my thoughts were miles away. I recalled the past with Jae Hyeong while eating ice cream. Dong Woo had called me three times but I had not replied. I didn't feel like talking to him. The night we had had was a burden that I didn't want to carry. Even if he had been nice when we had woken up, I was afraid of what would happen next.

          I snapped out of my thoughts when the phone vibrated again. This time, it was someone else.

 

"Hi Noona !"

"Hey Hoya !"

"What are you doing ?"

"I'm at my place. Why ?"

"We're at the karaoke now. Don't you want to come ?"

"Who's 'we' ?"

"Sung Gyu, Sung Jong, Myung Soo, Sung Yeol, Woo Hyun and Dong Woo" he emphasized the last name.

"Ah.. the thing is.. I'm not-"

"I'll get to your place if you don't come."

 

          My heart skipped a beat upon hearing Dong Woo's words.

 

. . .

 

"You're my best friend, Sun Hee. You're not allowed to avoid me despite the night we've spent together. Let's forget about it, alright ?"

"I don't think I can-"

"We were drunk !" I argued, "are you going to be mad for something we've done because of alcohol ?"

 

          She remained silent for a moment and I could only hear indistinct sounds. I felt guilty as I realized that she was sobbing.

 

"Sun Hee, are you crying because of me ?"

 

          She didn't reply.

 

"Park Sun Hee, calm down please. There is no reason to cry." I facepalmed, "I'm so stupid. I shouldn't have been angry."

"I'm lonely."

"What did you say ?"

"I'm so lonely.. Jae Hyeong.. He.. Jae Hyeong.."

 

          Her pain made me feel sad. And I was disappointed by my behavior. I had only been focused on our relationship instead of being by her side. She had to go through such sorrow.

          She was my closest friend and I couldn't let her face an hardship on her own.

 

"I'm coming Sun Hee. Wait for me !"