Chapter 1

Easy steps to move on

          The day at work had been so boring. I had missed my lovely boyfriend all day and I had been excited at the thought of going back home. In fact, it was my birthday. I wondered if Jae Hyeong had prepared something for me.

          When I finally reached the apartment we shared, I was greeted by several bouquets in the lounge. The sight of those colorful flowers and their sweet scent pleased me. He was such a cute guy. I liked his little attentions. He had left a note and a box on the table. There was a wonderful necklace inside. I was smiling widely when I opened the birthday card.

 

'Sun Hee,

 

We have been together for a long time but.. we can't go on.

I'm sorry for writing a letter instead of talking to you,

I've been trying to tell you about my feelings for the past few days.

But you were so busy..

I hope you'll be able to forgive me, and maybe we'll be friends someday.

 

Jae Hyeong'

 

          I read his cruel words, again and again, but it felt like a nightmare. I glanced at the expensive necklace and the flowers. Then, I turned my head to the card. I tried to recall the events of the past weeks. However, his behavior had not been suspicious. We had spent amazing nights, had had a lot of fun cooking together, we had gone out on several dates. Jae Hyeong had been loving and caring.

 

"Gosh.. don't tell me..", I spoke to myself, "Jae Hyeong, it's not funny. Come out now !"

 

          I breathed a sigh of relief as I thought about his playful personality. It was probably a joke. He enjoyed pulling pranks on me. I searched for him in every rooms. Yet, he was nowhere to be found. My heart raced when my gaze met the card on the table. I decided to go to our bedroom.

          There, an invisible power guided me towards the wardrobe. I hesitantly put my hand on the knob, still convinced that it was just a joke. But reality hit me when I discovered the empty closet. Jae Hyeong's clothes had disappeared.

 

"Jae Hyeong.."

 

          I couldn't cry despite the pain I was feeling. The one man with whom I had wanted to spend my life had given up on our relationship. He had left without words, not even an apology. And he had chosen to break up on my birthday. I had been thinking about our romantic night for days. However, the joyful evening I had been waiting for had turned into a disaster.

 

          Some heavy steps brought me to the lounge and the bottle of wine I had bought earlier caught my attention. That would be my only comfort. I poured the liquid in a beautiful crystal glass, then, I sat on the couch. I took a sip as I looked at the TV. I could see my own image on the black screen. I wasn't able to appreciate the fruity aroma of the alcohol although it was one of my favorite drinks.

          My lonely birthday party was interrupted by the sound of my phone. I had received a message from my best friend, Dong Woo.

 

'Happy birthday Sun Hee !! <3 <3

Have a fun night with Jae Hyeong ;)

See you tomorrow sweetie !'

 

          A tear ran down my cheek as I read Jae Hyeong's name, it had the same effect as an electric shock. I didn't bother wiping the tear. I just focused on the tasteless wine. I threw the phone away since I didn't feel like talking to anyone. Only that beautiful bottle of alcohol was truly helpful.

 

. . .

 

          I tightened my grip on the blanket, with half-closed eyes, as the movie's character walked slowly in a dark corridor. The moment was so frightening. I hated horror movies because of those scenes. I would be stressed-out when the character was alone in a silent room. Something was bound to happen, I knew it. And I was afraid.

          Three muffled sounds were heard, as if someone had knocked a door. I pulled the blanket closer to my face as I waited for the scary scene. Calm lasted a few seconds and there was a clearer knock.

 

"Yah ! Jang Dong Woo !"

 

          I jumped with fear as I heard someone calling my name. Instantly, I hid my face behind a pillow and I put an hand on my heart. I would never watch such a movie by myself again. I felt sweaty as the unknown voice called out my name.

 

"No.. Don't take me away. I'm too young. I promise I'll be better, please." I blabbered. "Don't kill me now.. I'm still a .. I can't die now.."

"Dong Woo, where are you ? Dong Woo ! Yah Jang Dong Woo !"

 

          I felt relieved when I listened to the voice carefully. It wasn't a stranger, nor the character of the movie who was talking to me. It was someone else. A person who wasn't supposed to be here. She knocked on the door one more time and I turned the TV off before welcoming her. Sun Hee greeted me with her malicious grin.

 

"I have something for you !"

 

          She had been hiding a bottle of soju behind her back and now held it as if it was a trophy.

 

"Let's celebrate !"

 

          I let her inside and we went to the couch together. I wondered if I had fallen asleep in front of the movie, if this was a dream. Or if Sun Hee had really come to my place. 

          I was given the answer when she cupped my cheeks.

 

"Do you have a cake ?"

"Why would I have a cake ?"

"Oppa, it's my birthday !" she pouted.

"I know, but.. what are you doing here ?"

"Aren't you happy to see me ?"

"Where's Jae Hyeong ?"

 

          Her brow wrinkled but she was speechless, only focused on the alcohol she had brought. She opened it without hesitation. She took a long sip from the bottle as I watched her, helpless.

 

"Jae Hyeong left."

 

          I was taken aback when she finally released the truth.

 

"Let's not talk about him.", she said, "I've got you, right ?"

"Of course Sun Hee. I'll always be by your side."

"Then, do me a favor. We'll celebrate my birthday and forget about Jae Hyeong."

"Al-alright."

 

          My hand made its way to the bottle of soju but she snatched it away from me. I gave her a questioning look as she took another sip. Sun Hee had never been so broken. I let her drink on her own while listening to her rumblings. Although she had not wanted to tell me about her boyfriend, the alcohol had a strong influence on her. When she had told me everything, I realized that my fists were clenched. I hated people who made my beautiful friend suffer. If only I could find Jae Hyeong and..

 

"Oppa, do you remember our promise ?"

 

          I snapped out of my thoughts when Sun Hee put her hand on mine.

 

"Yes."

 

          We had been children at that time. Our parents had been friends since high school, I had lived as Sun Hee's neighbor. Inevitably, we had become close friends. We had done so many things together and we had even fallen in love. I had promised to marry her if we were still single by 25.

 

"I want to marry you."

"Sun Hee, you've drunk enough. You better get some rest."

"I'm serious Oppa."

"You're drunk."

"I'm not drunk. I really want to be your wife."

"Sun Hee-"

"Don't you want to marry me ? Am I so unattractive that you want to leave me ? Just like Jae Hyeong did ? Am I-"

"Okay, we'll get married.", I cut her off, "Go to bed now."

 

          I was surprised as Sun Hee shook her head. I told her to leave the lounge, yet, she didn't listen to me. Suddenly, she leaned her face closer and whispered.

 

"Will you come with me ?"

"What ? Where ?"

"To your bedroom."

 

          I felt my face redden because of her mischievous tone.

 

"Come with me, husband-to-be."

"Sun Hee, I-"

 

          I couldn't speak more as she pressed her lips against mine. I was frozen for a moment. She moved her hands to my neck while kissing me slowly. I pulled away from the kiss, trying to forget about the wonderful feelings it had given me. Yet, she wouldn't let me go so easily. Her lips were on mine again. She was almost hovering over me.

 

"I want to sleep with you."

 

          When I saw the look on her face, her pleading eyes and cute pout, I was unable to refuse. Even if she was under the influence of alcohol, she seemed determined. I had no reason not to make her wish come true. We had slept together several times. It wouldn't be a problem. She had been unconscious when she had kissed me and it wouldn't happen again.

          That was what I thought until we reached my private room. Instead of lying down on the bed as I had expected her to, Sun Hee walked to me. She rested her head against my chest as her arms encircled my waist.

 

"You're better than Jae Hyeong."

 

          She lifted her head up to kiss my cheek.

 

"Let me be yours, Oppa."

 

          My heart skipped a beat upon hearing her seductive whisper. I had never felt desire for my best friend. Actually, I had not once thought that I would ever be ually attracted to her. But her playful behavior had . I tried to get my senses back. However, I lost the ability to think when Sun Hee's hand met the secret part of my body.

          At that moment, I had made up my mind already. I was willing to lose my ity to.. my drunk best friend.