1/1

Young Love

 

It was a rainy Saturday morning, I should be sleeping or even resting in my room covered by my comfy cream coloured blanket while listening to the raindrops that fell on my window pane, but here I am at my friend Chan's house. He said there's something important to talk about. 

We basically grew up together most certainly because he is a family friend. He lives a couple blocks away from me making it an easy way for us to visit each other often.

Honestly, I don't wanna go there because the last time he told me to come over is because of an emergency and the emergency is that he is hungry. Which leads to me trying so hard not to kick his at 8 in the morning because I am not a morning person. Being such a nice friend, I went to see him but truthfully he bribed me with food.

"Okay now where's the food?" I said right after he opened the front door of his house.

"Well hello and good morning to you too, well about the food, we gotta go out to buy it" he said while closing the door right after I walked in.

"You're joking" I looked at him cause I was about to throw a pillow at him if he is not.

"Yes I am, I dont wanna mess with you girl calm down its on the table".

I sat on the sofa right after I took some of the half-burnt pancakes he cooked. He said it's his way of cooking and I shouldn't judge, well I didn't.

"Whats the important thing you wanna talk about?" I asked while eating.

"There's this girl in my class-" I stopped eating when he said that and looked at him. "-we started talking a few weeks ago and I like her".

I laughed a little because he is such a shy boy he doesn't really talk to people, especially girls.

"You? Talking to a girl? I'm impressed Lee Chan" I said while taking a bite of the pancake.

"Hey I'm serious! We hang out sometimes during free period and everytime I talk to her I get the butterflies. The way she laughs when I told her a joke and the way she blushes and hides her face when I compliment her. Her smile, my gosh, it's the cutest thing ever. This sounds so cheesy but she is so beautiful and perfect to me" he said while looking at floor with a smile on his face and his face is clearly red.

"Well okay, what's the important thing anyways?" I asked

"Well, I want to ask her to be my girlfriend tomorrow because we are gonna hang out at the cafe that you and I always go to but I don't know how." he said while looking at me.

"Please? I'll give you a reward or something later" he said with a cute voice which leads to me laughing.

"Okay okay, you owe me something remember that" I said while standing up.

"Where are you going? Don't ditch me" he panicked a little when I went to the front door.

 "I'm going to the mall and don't worry I wont ditch you cause you're joining me so lets go".

After a few hours of shopping full of whinings such as "Im tired" and "Why is this so hard" we finally got a box of chocolate, a card, an Innisfree liptint because he said she prefers liptints than lipsticks and also a single red rose which actually means love, yes we googled it. He wants to buy 50 roses because it means unconditional love but we are on a budget.

"Remember the song "Cant Help Falling In Love? A few years back we said we would sing it at our wedding" he said while laughing.

Yes he said our wedding because when we were little we said we love each other so much and we will get married but that's a long and old story, basically we grew up. He moved on, but I didn't.

"Should I sing that song to her?" he asked me. I stopped drinking my drink and looked at him, well we are at the food court because we are starving.

"Well if you dont mind cause its our song yknow".

Our song, he still remembers about it.

"Yea, ofcourse. Its not like we're gonna date or get married. I dont mind. Its just a song right?" I said while stirring my drink.

Why does my heart hurts when I said that.

"Its just that we always sing that song to each other before and now I'm going to sing it to somebody else, it feels kinda weird" he laughed and I smiled.

He sent me home as usual and we did our secret handshake but he didn't let go of my hand at the end.

"Thank you. For everything. I owe you one." He let go of my hand and hugged me.

"You're the best." I hugged him back and pulled away.

"You're welcome. I'm always here for you. I wish you all the best. Remember to tell me everything okay?" I looked at him while a smile on my face.

As I walked to the front door, I turned around to look at him.

"Sing our song to her nicely just like how you used to sing that song to me okay" I smiled at him and went inside.

I didnt even sleep well that night. It was around 10am when I woke up because I kept waking up and had trouble sleeping. I was worried for him.

I just want him to be happy because he deserves it so much.

I kept looking at my phone waiting for a call or even a message. To distract myself I went to take a long shower and even cook something to eat.

It was around 12pm when I went back to my room after eating and there's a missed call from Chan. I called him back and he answered a few seconds later.

"So how did it go?" I sat on my bed while listening to him.

"It went so well! She loves the stuff and she even teared up when I sang that song to her" I can tell he is very happy.

"So my bestfriend got a girlfriend now huh? I guess I'm gonna be alone most of the time from now on" I said and laughed a little.

"No, I'll hang out with you too! Are you okay though? Are you sick? You sound abit off" he asked.

"Im fine! Dont worry about me. Anyways, I'm happy for you! I hope you guys will last long" I said and I didn't even realise I was tearing up.

"Thank you! I'll come to your house later. She is coming back from the bathroom so I gotta go, goodbye!" he said before hanging up.

Guess what, your girlfriend is not the only one who teared up cause of you today Chan.

I laid on the bed and I remembered mine and Chan's memory box. It is full of pictures and stuff such as our first movie ticket, friendship bracelet we made and alot more. As I looked through it, I remembered our memories, our promises.

Suddenly I found a fake diamond ring that we got from a vending machine. It was a promise ring from him. I still remember what he said when he gave me that.

"One day, I will give you a real diamond ring I promise".

The doorbell rang and it shocked me. I hid the box and went downstairs. It was Chan. His hair was perfectly styled and he looked so handsome.

"You look good" I said and laughed.

"Of course I do" he laughed and sat on the sofa once he entered.

"I cant stay long today because I have a skype session later to help her study but hey I got something for you" he handed me a small black velvet box.

"Better not be a lizard in here" I looked at him and continue opening the box. It was a diamond ring.

"Well I suddenly remembered about our promise ring and I promised you that I will give you a real one and I just realised I've never gave you something fancy for your birthdays so I hope you like it. Its not the fancy and expensive one though I'm sorry" he said.

"Oh my god, why did you do this, I'm thankful but why?" I asked him.

"You're the bestest friend ever, you helped me alot so this is my reward to you and I promised you, remember?" he smiled.

Yes Chan, I remember and I'm sure you don't remember another promise you made which is me being yours.

"I love it. Thank you". I looked at him and he looked so relieved.

"I have to go now. We'll hang out soon okay?" he stood up and hugged me.

I closed my eyes and try my best not to cry infront of him. He let go and stopped walking to the front door when I called him.

"Hey Chan, remember that you still owe me right?" I asked him.

"Yes I do, do you have anything in mind?" he asked.

"You owe me happiness. Not mine but yours. Be happy for me. That is what I want from you. You deserve all the happiness in this world Chan, I just want you to be happy. Can you do that?" I asked him once more.

"I'm with the girl I love right now thanks to you, Im sure I will be happy. She's my happiness. I hope you'll find yours soon" he smiled and walked out.

Lee Chan, I already found my happiness. Its you, but sadly I'm not your happiness.

Once he is gone I went to my room and cried. All those promises. I still remember it and I'm still waiting for it to happen but it wont.

I'm just a friend to him and he is my everything.

People told me that if the person we love is happy, we will be happy too.

Chan you said that to me too but why am I hurting when I see you happy with your happiness.

Well its true that if we love someone we gotta learn how to let them go.

I'm young but I do know what true love is. I love him alot but I'm just a friend to him.