final

Just a Smile, Just a Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]

Final

[/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

One day left, or else...

Tears silently dripping down his face, Jungkook stared at the ominous note which had been left for them at the locked door. After such a long time had passed, it was finally ending.

Bitterly, Taehyung ripped the note out of the younger's hands, tearing it into shreds and crushing its remains into the dirt beneath his feet.

"Where are the police? They should have been here already, why are they taking so long?" He snapped, his eyes dulling as they trailed over towards the pristine gun lying peacefully on top of a wooden stool. Beginning to tremble, Taehyung nearly tumbled onto the ground, catching himself with his hand and burying his face in his chest.

"It's pointless," Jungkook whispered, staring blankly at the wall. Running his hand through his unkept hair, he let out a deep breath, as though he had been holding it for quite some time.

"We can't keep hoping... we can't keep waiting."

Letting out a scream of frustration, Taehyung shook his head, wailing, "We can... we need to have hope. Otherwise we're letting him win, can't you see that? It's not–"

"No," Namjoon interrupted, "We're going to have to play his... game. That's the only way to get out of this mess."

Taehyung continued to sob, soft murmurings of "we can't" slipping through the sound of his tears. Doing his best to ignore the elder's cries, Jungkook looked over at Namjoon.

"How... what's a fair way to do this? What rules do we have?"

"It's just Russian Roulette," Namjoon murmured softly, "The only rules are... that we have to shoot." He smiled sadly at the two, his eyes filled with a fierce determination which were a facade for the weakness and tears lying within.

"I’ll go first. It's five out of six, right? And I'm sure I'll... I know it.”

Before Jungkook or Taehyung could protest, he picked up the gun, his lips curling up into an empty smile.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to shoot either of you... Just… I can't let either of you go, okay? Plus, you two have to be there, for the others. At least you’ll have each other, I know you're close.”

Jungkook murmured, "Namjoon-hyung, please... We can find a way out of this. You're trying to be strong, but…”

"No… I'm not strong. That's why I'm doing this. It's because I'm a coward."

He bit his lip, pressing the gun to his temple before continuing. Jungkook stared at him in shock, but he couldn't gather the will to move to stop him. Namjoon opened his mouth to say something, but couldn't get any words out through his futile attempts to stop a relentless flow of tears.

"I... I was so confident I could keep everything together. But now, now that we’re in this situation?”

Droplets of saltwater cascading down his cheeks, Namjoon tightened his grip, not yet moving his finger to the trigger.

"You’re all strong, and I'm weak. I'm the leader, and I'm just... Y-you guys can keep it together, okay? I don't... I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I'm sorry, I'm being selfish right now..."

Taehyung looked at him, teary-eyed, and whispered, “What makes you so sure that you’re going to die?” His leader's actions had caused him to stop his emphatic cries, leaving him with red eyes and puffy cheeks.

Silently, Namjoon moved his finger to the trigger. His hand shook uncontrollably, making it nearly impossible for him to keep the gun steady.

"I don't... I don't know for sure, but I really hope that I will. I'm... so, so sorry."

He looked into their eyes, hesitating before pulling the trigger of the gun. There was a bang, but Namjoon continued to stand.

It was an air shot, the bullet was absent.

Jungkook stared at him in disbelief. How could he have been so lucky-no, so unlucky-like that?

He looked at Taehyung, his expression blank. Carefully, he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter