5 Years

Yoonmin One Shots

It all started at Taehyung's birthday five years ago. Yoongi was watching as he excitedly tore open his presents with his usual boxy grin when he felt someone stand beside him. He spared the person a glance but stopped short when he noticed who it was. Park Jimin. They had been friends for about two years at this point. Jimin being 15 to Yoongi's 17. Now at 17 and 19 they had grown to be pretty close, a lot of flirting slipping into their once casual conversations.

"How's the party?" Jimin asked offhandedly, "Having fun?"

Yoongi hummed in response, putting the red solo cup to his lips and tipping his head back. The drink burned as it went down his throat.

"That's good."

The silence that passed over them wasn't uncomfortable but there was something lingering in the air. An important question that has went unasked and unanswered. One that scorched at the back of both individuals minds. The party's end looming over it.

12:00

"So...." Jimin took the cup from the elder, "Do you wanna go outside? I know you don't like stuffy places."

The elder looked over at him. His fox like eyes searching the others. Jimin's expression was one of question and didn't really lead to anything else. His body was tense though and Yoongi could hear a nervous edge to his words, one of slight worry. The second he noticed it he gave a small nod.

"Sure."

Yoongi pushed off from the doorframe he was leaning on and nodded at the other boy to follow him. He weaved through the ever growing crowd of people. His gaze catching a few others and he smirked in their direction, a promise for the night. Despite what others might think he wasn't one for being completely owned and tied down into a relationship. He sees it as a distraction to his dreams. He can wait until he's older for commitment. Just then he turned a corner and pushed open the door to a balcony. The air was crisp at this time.

Yoongi turned to find that Jimin was gone. Even if it was expected, it still stung in a way. He pushed away the feeling immediately and shook his head in amusement.

"Idiot."

The mint haired boy decided that he could at least get a smoke out of it. His back turned to the door and watching the sky above him. The streetlights obscured any chance of seeing stars but a couple broke through. The cold air and smoke in his lungs was a small comfort after being at a party for so long.

12:15

Long, nimble, piano fingers flicked cigarette ash into the wind and watched as it floated by. It was getting colder the more he stood there but it was nicer than being in a house full of sweaty people. The urge to pull out another cigarette itched at his thoughts. It wouldn't hurt to....

Yoongi felt soft hands at his back, moving to his arms until he was pulled to face someone. He smirked and flicked his cigarette again. "Just let me finish this. I'll meet you in the room."

 

 

Now exactly five years later Yoongi stood, the same scene in front of him. Except this time he was hiding in the corner and watching as Taehyung reached up to kiss his boyfriend, Jungkook. A smiling Park Jimin beside them. He felt a tug at his heart. The younger boy had grown to be gorgeous. His features a little sharper than before. His once flaming orange hair now an endearing silver. His outfit obviously more thought-out. He was so different. Yet his large smile was exactly the same as he remembered it. The five years apart not tainting it at all. That's probably what made his heart hurt.

During all this Yoongi didn't even notice Namjoon and Hoseok had come back with their drinks. Hoseok gave Namjoon a worried glance and whispered "what the hell is he staring at" and Namjoon just gave him a sharp look. 

"Yoongi!" Hoseok shouted, "I got you your old man drink."

The older man looked at him in surprise. "Brat."

He took his drink and raised it to his lips within seconds.

Namjoon sighed, "He's been worrying about you." He watched as Yoongi took a bigger gulp. "He was hurt that you stopped talking to him and he just wants to know why. He doesn't hate you if that means anything."

"I..."

"Jimin!"

Then he opened his eyes and watched in horror as the face that came into focus was someone else entirely.

"Why should I care?" He can worry all he wants I'm fine without him."

"Why do you keep lying to..."

"I'm not lying!" Yoongi spun on them, "I'm writing music. I'm alive. I don't ing need Park Jimin okay!?"

And he froze as he turned to see Park Jimin staring back at him. Everything stopped and the cup in his hand splashed to the floor and Jimin kept staring, his eyes unmoving. And as soon as the world came back to Yoongi he was pushing through the crowd away from him. 

12:00

Yoongi pushed through the crowd, a few vaguely familiar faces either winking at him or throwing a drunken "hey Yoongs" but he ignored them all. He had turned away from all that five years ago for the better and it had deeply benefited him in the long run.

He took the same path he did every time the party got a little too much for him. The room was the same as always. The bed sitting neatly and the bedside table filled with books and a laptop on the small white desk in the corner. The balcony doors wide open to reveal a dark night sky, clouded over and devoid of light. His eyes scrunched shut.

.

His heart raced and he could feel sweat that wasn't his run down his arms.

.

He fumbled weakly with his pack of cigarettes and pulled one out with long, nimble, shaky, piano fingers.

.

He inhaled and finally felt as if he could breathe. The smoke burning his lungs in such an intoxicatingly calming way that he almost cried with relief.

"Yoongi..."

.

Yoongi flicked the ash over the balcony and didn't turn but he knew who was standing behind him.

He followed the sound of footsteps until they landed beside him. He didn't dare spare the other a glance, instead taking another drag and exhaling slowly. 

"I missed you..." Yoongi rolled his eyes. "Don't be like that."

Yoongi chuckled hollowly, "Don't be like what?"

"Like you were when I met you seven years ago. All cut off and sarcastic whenever I'm trying to be nice." The anger in his voice was evident. "And could you look at me for one damn second."

The black haired man turned his head to the silver haired man. His fox like eyes looking closely at the other. He really has changed. His tank top replaced with a sweater and dark ripped jeans. The younger runs his hand through his hair.

Yoongi flicked his cigarette. "I'm sorry, kid."

"What?" Jimin blinked in confusion. "Why are you..."

"I said I'm sorry and I said it cause I mean it and I mean it cause I'm an ." Yoongi straightened up, crushing his unfinished cigarette against the railing of the balcony. "It isn't that hard to understand that I would apologise to my almost lover after I ignored him for five years and then ran off when he looked at me for the first time in that long. Now if you excuse me I still have to give Taehyung his present."

With quick movements Yoongi reached for the door but wasn't quick enough as he felt a small hand grab his wrist. 

He turned, unsure, to face Jimin. But his gaze was soft and comfortable as he looked at Yoongi. 

"Almost lover, huh?" He smiled a little

Yoongi stammered. "I...I said that....yes."

Jimin smiled wider. "Well almost lover would you mind catching up with me?"

"I..."

Yoongi watched as Jimin laughed. Stray strands of orange hair falling onto his forehead and his eyes scrunched up into crescent moons.

"I would love to."

 

Bonus (Five Years Later *again lmao*)

 

Min Yoongi watched as Jungkook got down on one knee in front of Taehyung. The older of the two covering his mouth in shock and shaking with sobs. A chorus of cheers soon ringing out as Tae jumped at Jungkook with a loud YES falling from his lips.

Just then a hand slipped into his and squeezed. He looked over to see Jimin staring back at him, a large grin on his face. Yoongi smiled back and reached forward to place a lingering kiss to his temple. A warm feeling rushing through them both and making them smile wider.