001

Morning Morning

(Kim Yoobin) 

 

You know how people are usually so happy when it's the weekends because it's time for them to relax? Yeah, not me. It's a Sunday morning but guess who's heading to the office right now? Me, that's right. Work has taken over majority of my life. I'm either at home or at work, but the thing is, I'm at work most of the time I'm even considering moving there to save the money I spend on rent. Ok, maybe not... but you get what I mean. The saddest part is that when I'm finally home, all I do is catch up on my sleep since work tires me out so much. I'm only usually able to meet my friends or family during my lunch break. 

 

After working for two years, I've developed a routine for working days that I've never once broken. It consists of waking up, showering, preparing for work, heading to the nearby cafe near my office to get coffee and breakfast then lastly to work. However, today it looks like my routine will be disrupted since the cafe I frequent is closed for renovation. What a bummer. Looks like I'll have to find another one since 3-in-1 coffee won't cut it for me. Beggars can't be choosers but... I'm picky. And not a beggar. Just poor. Yup. 

 

I whip out my phone and turn on Google Map like any smart (or lost...) people will do. 

 

Huh, there's a seemingly popular cafe just around the corner and I didn't even notice it before. It's called MS Cafe. Walking there, I realise how cute this cafe is and wonder how is it I've been walking past it but never knew of its existence. I think it's because when I'm focused on something, I can't notice anything else. In a nice way, I give all my attention to things I like, but in a not so nice way, I'm just not observant enough. I think I like things that I'm familiar with. I don't like changes. I think changes scare me. I'm probably like this because my family used to be very wealthy until my father's business went bankrupt. We went from staying in a mansion in Pyeonchang-dong to a small apartment in Yeongdeungpo-gu.

 

I enter the cafe and sigh when I see so many couples on a date. This early and they're on a date? Is that how dating is like nowadays? I guess I wouldn't know since all I've done this past few years was just burying my head in studies and then work. During university, I studied so hard to keep the scholarship since my family couldn't afford to pay for my school fees. They could only afford paying for my older brother. I swear I tried not to resent them but sometimes I look back and still feel bitter about it. It's something I would never admit to my family though, since my brother already felt and still is feeling so guilty about it. He doesn't like the preferential treatment but my parents are pretty stubborn people and bias as hell. Another reason why I keep quiet about how I feel is so that I won't worsen the relationship between my parents and I. My parents and I don't have a close relationship, unlike them and my brother. We only contact each other when there's a need to like during special occasions. After graduating from university, I found a job and moved out as soon as possible. I hate housekeeping and all but I really couldn't stand staying with my family any longer, because they (especially my mother) always compared me to my brother, making me feel bad about myself. 

 

"Hi, good morning! What can I get for you?" A cheerful, smooth voice snaps me out of my trance. I blink and look up to see a super cute, good-looking barista smiling at me. My breath gets stuck in my throat and I blink a few more times to see if I was dreaming. "*Sonnim?~"

 

"Oh, erm, hi, good morning. I would like an Americano to go please, thank you," I quickly order while taking out my wallet to dig for some money. 

 

"Sure! Would you like any food to go along with that?" He asks, his face hopeful, just like a kid who thinks his mother is going to buy all the candies he wants for him.

 

I narrow my eyes at the refrigerated display case while pursing my lips, searching until something catches my eyes. "Ah! Can I have the croissant with eggs, cheese and ham? Can you also heat it up for me?"

 

"No problem," He grins with a nod and proceed to take it out to put it in the microwave. He then goes on to make the drip brew coffee.

 

It is such a sight to behold. I've never felt my heart flutter for a guy for a long time, not since high school freshman year. The fresh aroma of coffee and the way he concentrates while pouring in the hot water slowly - it brings butterflies to my stomach. I'm pretty sure it's not my stomach rumbling due to my hunger for food. 

 

Image result for xiumin barista Related image

 

"Sonnim? Sonnim~," The barista calls and snaps me out of my trance once more. He smirks and I blush, knowing he caught me staring at him. "Your orders are ready."

 

"Huh, right," I nod while biting on my bottom lip in embarrassment. I quickly pay for it, grab my coffee and croissant and rush out of the cafe before he can say another word. My cheeks feel scorching hot in the cool autumn weather. A call from my manager suddenly pushes all the butterflies out of my stomach and in stomps dreadness. Sighing, I start to make my way to the office, all thoughts about a certain barista gone in an instant. Those thoughts will have to wait till tonight when I'm lying in my bed all cozy and comfortable.

 


 

It's been two weeks and I've officially gotten used to going to MS Cafe everyday. Today is no different. Despite the finishing of renovation for the previous cafe I've always gone to, I still stuck by MS Cafe. Sure, one reason is that the coffee is better, but I can't deny that the main reason is actually that barista. Whenever I'm not working or busy, my mind just fills itself up with thoughts of him. What's his name? How old is he? Is he a student? Is he working there as a part-timer or a full-timer? How is he really like? Does he... Does he have a girlfriend? I'm a pretty shy person so even though I've seen him for two weeks straight, I haven't been able to talk to him other than just ordering my items. He did try to have small talks with me but I realised he makes small talks with all his customers so... that's that. I'm not the kind to get my hopes up.

 

I enter the cafe with a lighter mood than usual to realise that he's not there. It feels like someone just poured ice water all over me. 

 

"Hi, good morning! What can I get for you?" A staff I've seen a couple of times asks me with a cheerful smile. 

 

"Hi, can I have an Americano and an egg sandwich to go?" I order while fishing out some money. 

 

"Sure," The staff nods and takes the money from me before going to make the orders. I purse my lips while in deep thoughts. Should I...? Soon, the orders are done and I grab them, turning around to leave but something in my heart tells me to turn back. 

 

I gather up my courage and turn back while the staff tilts his head to the side lightly, probably wondering if there's something wrong with the orders or if I forgot something.

 

"Erm... do you happen to know where's the barista that's always here?" I ask softly. "The one with single eyelids."

 

Realisation dawns on his face and he nods with a knowing smile. "Ah~ That's our boss and the owner of this cafe, Kim Minseok. He's running late today."

 

My eyes widen. He is the owner of this cafe? Kim Minseok... MS Cafe... Ah. That's unexpected. He looks so young I thought he was a student working here as a part-time staff. 

 

"Looking for me?" A familiar voice says, cutting off my train of thoughts and my breath gets caught in my throat. I look behind me to see him smirking. Kim Minseok. My face heats up and I can feel my cheeks redden in embarrassment. Oh my gosh, I just had to get caught by him asking about him. 

 

"Erm... I..."

 

"I'm Minseok, but you can call me Xiumin," He beams. "What's your name?"

 

"Yoobin. Kim Yoobin," I answer shyly. 

 

"Yoobin-ssi, I've been wanting to ask you this for the longest time..." He says slowly with a hint of shyness. "Can I have your number?"

 

Image result for xiumin shy Image result for xiumin shy

 


 

- FAST FORWARD THREE MONTHS -

 

"What else is missing?" I ask myself out loud in my small apartment. I look at the dishes on the table. Hearty beanpaste stew, pork belly and kimchi stirfry, sausage and cream sauce baked rice with extra cheese, and fluffy steamed buns. That looks about it.

 

Just then, the doorbell rings and I take off the apron, wipe my hands, smooth out my hair before heading to open the door. 

 

"What the..." I mutter when I notice there's no one. I was about to close the door when I look down and almost squeal in surprise. The good kind of surprise. 

Image result for cutest christmas puppy

"Merry christmas, baby," Comes the gentle, sensual voice that I've heard almost everyday for the past three months. Xiumin pulls me into a tight warm hug, sending tingles down my spine deliciously and toasting me up better than any heater.

 

"Merry christmas oppa," I smile into his chest. 

 

He releases me from his embrace a while later and picks up the box containing the cutest puppy. "Do you like your present?"

 

"Like? I love it!" I squeal while retrieving the box from him. "Come on in, you little cutie! This is your new home!"

 

"Wow, you're inviting the dog in but not your boyfriend," Xiumin scoffs.

 

I turn back and send him a sheepish grin. "Aw, but you know you're always invited~"

 

"Fine," He huffs playfully while putting down his belongings. "Anyway... I'm hungry and the food looks amazing."

 

I quickly set the box down gently on the floor and pat the puppy's head softly before taking Xiumin's hand and leading him to the kitchen. 

 

"First, you have to wash your hands," I tell him, turning on the tap while pumping out some soap to lather it. I then rub his hands with mine for a minute or so before rinsing the soap off thoroughly with water.

 

"I hope you can do that for my entire body," He says with a straight face.

 

"It's good to be hopeful," I give him a sickly sweet smile despite the dirty thoughts plaguing my mind. Heh... He doesn't have to know about my erted side just yet. He pouts and sticks his tongue out at me causing me to chuckle. "Come on, let's go have dinner! I spent so much time cooking it. Let's open the presents and also name the puppy later."

 

After giving some dog food, that Xiumin bought, to the puppy and snapping a few pictures of the feast I prepared, we finally pick up our chopsticks and spoons only for the doorbell to ring, interrupting us. The both of us look questioningly at each other, wondering who that could be since I didn't invite anyone else. Hesitantly, I get up and open the door only for it to reveal my older brother holding a familiar cake box.

 

"O-Oppa..." I stutter. "What are you doing here?"

 

Chen pouts at my words while poking my forehead with his index finger. "Is this how you should welcome your older brother? Of course I'm here to spend Christmas with you, my only sister!"

 

"Wait oppa, I kinda... have a guest," I say, pursing my lips nervously. He only knits his brows in response before barging in. I quickly close the door to follow after him.

 

"Xiumin?!" "Chen?!" Both guys exclaim simultaneously. 

 

"You guys know each other?" I ask, my turn to have my brows knitted together.

 

"We're best friends!" "We're bros!" Both guys say simultaneously.

 

"Why are you here?" "Why are you here?" Both guys ask each other simultaneously. 

 

"I'm her boyfriend!" "I'm her brother!" Both guys answer simultaneously. 

 

Oh .

 

Image result for exo chen angry - "You owe me an explanation, young lady."

 


 

After much persuasion, I managed to convince my brother to let us first have our dinner because the food wouldn't be as good when it's cold. It was quite awkward but since the food was delicious, we started to chat happily while eating. We had freshly made strawberry shortcake that my brother bought from our favourite bakery for dessert. The fresh cream made me feel like I was in heaven. I really really love whipped cream, fresh cream etc. Fattening but so worth it.

 

"So... Who's going to explain everything to me? Xiumin? Yoobinnie?" Chen narrows his eyes at both of us, scrutinizing every action that we make.

 

I gulp and fiddle with my fingers. "Fine. So I met Xiumin oppa three months ago in his cafe..."

 

"And?" Chen asks, eyeing us.

 

"And I fell for him at first sight..." I explain, slightly embarrassed to admit it out loud, to which Xiumin smiles coyly at. 

 

"What are you smiling at, hyung?" Chen glares at him politely. Xiumin immediately wipe the smile off his face. "Yoobin-ah. Why didn't you tell me that you are dating? I'm your oppa. You should tell me everything. What if the guy's not Xiumin hyung and is a creep? Who's going to protect you?"

 

I look down guiltily. "I'm sorry oppa, it's just that we just started dating. I didn't want to say anything until I'm sure of the relationship, not that I'm not sure now, but I just want us to be more stable before telling you."

 

After some minutes of silence, Chen finally speaks up again. "Fine, but from now on, I'm going to keep an eye on the both of you. Hyung, don't bully or play with my sister. Yoobin, don't be a stupid girl and suffer silently if he does anything to you. Tell me if that happens. And, to the both of you, don't... just don't do the dirty."

 

"Oppa!" "Kim Jong Dae!" We both blush heavily at the topic. The two of us have only reached the kissing stage, so the dirty will be a huge leap which I think both of us aren't ready for yet (or maybe it's just me).

 

"I'm serious."

 

"Fine..." I nod. "Now that we're over this issue, can I please name my puppy?"

 


 

"Come on, hurry!" My brother urges while he tugs on my hand, bringing me to God knows where.

 

"Stop rushing me! It's not easy trying to walk blindfolded!" I snap, annoyed.

 

"But I'm holding your hand and guiding you!"

 

I roll my eyes but it goes unseen by my brother, obviously. "Well, maybe you aren't doing a very good job."

 

"One more comment and I'll make you walk there yourself, blindfolded." I must be pouting subconsciously, because he continues with, "Stop acting cute. I'm still pissed off with you, little miss pissy."

 

He doesn't sound angry, though. It's more of a joking tone. As we walk for about another ten minutes, he finally stops, and I breathe out a sigh of relief. It's so tough and insecure walking like this when my brother keeps forgetting to warn me about uneven road or obstacles like stones and rocks. He just doesn't get it. I should do this to him one day too.

 

Silence envelopes us and I can't help but feel anxious. Am I alone here? Why isn't Chen saying anything? 

 

"Is anyone there?" I call. "Oppa. Oppa?"

 

Suddenly, music starts to play. It's a very familiar music though, something that I've heard since I was little. Themepark? Merry-go-round? 

 

"You can take off the blindfold now," A familiar voice says. I reach up to untie the blindfold and when I open my eyes, my mouth falls open at the scene in front of me. Pleasantly surprised is the perfect description. 

 

My eyes scan the place and the people who are standing around me. My friends, my family, his friends, and his family. They smile at me knowingly while my brother sends me a wink. And then he walks out and capture all of my attention with his bear costume and the bouquet of flowers that he is holding.

 

Related image

 

"Yoobin-ah," He calls gently, slowly approaching me as tears start to form in my eyes.

 

"Xiumin o-oppa."

 

"Yoobin-ah," He calls again, stopping right in front of me. "You told me that this place is your favourite place when you were younger so I thought that I'd make this your favourite place now too, and even when you get older. I know that we've only been dating for a year but I know you are the one I want to spend the rest of my life with. I've known that since I first saw you in my cafe. And although we are already raising our furry baby, Ppal-gang, together, I would like it if we can create our own (human) family. You are the only one I want to say my vows with. You are the only one I want to have babies with. You are the only one I want to grow old with. So... Will you please marry me?"

 

Tears roll down my cheeks crazily as I become an incoherent mess. I nod my head vigorously. "Y-Yes, yes I will!"

 

Cheers exploded from the crowd of our loved ones and he walks towards me, passing me the bouquet. He then takes off the bear headpiece and gives me a breathtaking smile. Before I know it, he tackles me into a tight hug and plants a sweet kiss on my lips. 

 

"Thank you, thank you Yoobin," He chants, tears of happiness escaping his eyes. "I promise to never let you down, ever."

 

"I should thank you, oppa. Thank you for making me the happiest girl in the world."

 


 

*Sonnim - Customer