장 1

나는 당신을 사랑 할 수 있습니까? (Can I Love You?)

The handsome face sitting alone in the white studio. She examined the photos one by one. Deeply serious trying to concentrate and focus onto each of them, as she wants the best out of the bests. 

They were a few pictures of different models that late evening. In her observation, the last one had attracted her light-brown eyes. So she picked the photo which hanging at the edge of the screen and carefully studied every inch of it again. 

 

 

 

 

 

"Aigoo this kid..." a middle aged man greeted as he walked into the space with box on his hands. 

 

"You've been staring to that photo since this morning, Riu. No breakfast, no lunch. Are you on diet or something???" 

 

She chuckled and put the photo back to the previous spot. 

 

"You know this task give me such a hard time. Choosing who's the most beautiful and look stunningly pretty in lens, I should work harder dont you think?" she asked while smiling. 

 

 

"Of course I knew... But lately you looked so out man. Try to cheer up a little bit will you? Go hangout or do something with less stress. Honestly I say, your face now almost look like zombie, that zombie in Train to Busan," he joked. The box full with papers had been put down and he slightly adjusted the tip of his old-fashion cap. "Come on, Riu. Go for some fresh air and eat. I dont want my favorite worker pass out," he uttered with a firm voice. Try to influence the latter. 

 

Riu just nodded in agreement. 

 

 

"Im totally fine, Young Gi. Dont worry, just a few more minutes, Im out, " she managed to say even though her eyes still focused on the white screen. The man chuckled and shook his head as he's looking at the scene. The tall girl is very diligent but sometimes her perfectionist behaviour can cause worry sometimes. 

It's been just a year but he know Riu very well. The young photographer was a graduate from Seoul University, still a freshman for his studio, and he knew why that girl was so difficult to mix with other staff. 

 

Her past. The only reason she distanced herself. She is so careful when it is time to communicate or interact with others. Even with her own best friend. Young Gi knew it all. 

 

 

"Alright, anything you want, Riu. I'm going now, okay?" 

 

Riu nodded and showed an 'ok' sign.

 

Few moment later, the guy left the space and made himself out from the building. 

 

The boyish still in her work mode when her mobile phone vibrate and rang loudly in her pocket. She aswered the call and sat on the well-designed chair. 

 

 

"Hey, what's up," 

 

 

 

"I dont want that moodless of your voice in my party this night, idiot," her best friend said straight with sarcastic tone. Riu bursted into a small laugh then. 

 

"Yah, that's mean... Who say I'm going tonight? Who say? Better tell me or I'm gonna kick your ," 

 

 

"Let me kick yours first, Riu Eddy. You said it yourself. I repeat, YOURSELF. Need cotton buds?" 

 

 

"No, well thank you," Riu replied back, flat. 

 


"Ow come on, Corpse. It's my birthdayyyy... Not complete without you," 

 

 

"Not complete your , why is it today anyway? I have works to do," 

 

 

"Blame my mom. She's the one who gave birth, not me. And blame my dad too. It was their plan I was born," 

 

 

"Hahahahaha, you dumb!" Riu laughed out loud. She turned off the PC and grab her back pack. Making her way out, she is still holding the phone, focusing on their conversation. 

 

 

"Okay fine, I'm going," she said. "But before 11 Im going to drive home," 

 

"9 am tomorrow, next photo shoots. Cant be late, Ann," she opened the door and locked it from outside. "Anyway, what gift you want me to buy for you?" 

 

 

 

"Seriously buddy???" the other side of person asked her with a puzzled tone. 

 

 

"Why?" 

 

 

"It should be a surprise you sadist," 

 

 

 

"Opss.....sorry. I forgot, really," Riu answered then. "Okay-okay, I'm gonna stop by at the mall first. Will be there at your house afterwards, I promise," 

 

 

"That's even better! Okay dude, see ya! Bye!" 

 

 

 

"Heh, bye," then the call ended. 

 

 

 

 

***

 

"This is hard. I dont even know what to buy...." Riu monologued as she passed the entrance of the huge mall. Spent almost 10 minutes wondering around, at the end she decided just to get some shirts for her best friend. So, UNIQLO is her choice. 

 

 

 

"Welcome to UNIQLO. May I help you with something?" a uniformed- girl approached her and bowed. Riu bowed back and trying hard to speak out what's in her mind. 

 

 

"W-Well... Dont know either... My friend's birthday... Shirts maybe?" 

 

 

"Okay sir, you can come with me," the salesgirl brought her into the collection of branded t-shirts and introduced the latest one. Not knowing much about fashions and trendy look, Riu didnt want to be a picky person. So she agreed to take two pairs of shirts from that store. Those were recommended by the salesgirl. 

 

"Here it is, sir. Thanks for shopping with us" the cashier handed Riu the well-wrapped boxes with a wide smile. She bowed and took it then. 

 

"Yes, most welcome." 

 

The moment her exit from the store, she accidently bumped into stranger and the camera bag fell down on the floor. While the person who she hit already sedimented, winching in pain. 

 

 

"I-I'm sorrry...  I'm sorry," she apologized. She helped the person to stand up and didnt stop apologizing to her. 

 

 

"I'm really sorry, miss. I didnt notice you before," Riu said with her apologetic face. "Are you okay?" 

 

 

 

"Yeah, I'm fine..." finally the person spoke. "My fault too, Im sorry," 

 

 

Riu watched close the person's face and  didnt know why she felt something familiar. She zoned out for a while until the person touched her shoulder, frowning. 

 

 

"You, can you let go of my hand now? I'm rushing actually. So sorry," 

 

Spontaneously, she free off her hands from the long-hair girl. 

 

 

"Y-yes, I'm sorry too..." 

 

 

"I'm going and thanks for helping me up," the girl said and bowed. She didnt let Riu to reply as she walked away, really into her rushing mode. 

 

 

The tomboy picked her camera bag. She watched how the image of the girl disappear from her view, blurred and finally gone. 

 

 

 

 

She asked herself why she felt that way to that girl. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"She's not her, Riu. Dont be a fool..." Riu remind herself.