First and Last Chapter

[ONE-SHOT] Jiyong's Butterfly

Jiyong’s Butterfly

-      -     -     -     -     -     -

                In a famous restaurant, sitting in a table in the patio, with the view of the Han River, sat a couple.  They had the whole place to themselves with a special chef cooking dinner tonight.  It was their 3 year anniversary since they’ve had been together.

                The music played, while the two stared into each other’s eyes as she danced in his arms.  Bom looked stunning from head to toe, in her mini red dress and her black peep-toe pumps.  Matching along with her outfit, Jiyong wore a black tuxedo with a red handkerchief in his front pocket of his suit, along with his red tie around his neck.  “You look beautiful tonight, Bom.”  He smiles and holds her tighter around her waist.  “You don’t look bad yourself.”  She complimented.

                Ruining the moment, the chief brought out dinner, placing it on the table.  Both Jiyong and Bom pulled away from each other and head towards their table.  Jiyong pulls her chair out from her, and pushes in back to the table in order for Bom to sit down.  He made his way to his chair and took a set.  Nodding at the chief to go, he grabs the wine bottle from the bucket of ice and uses the corkscrew.  He reached out and poured into her glass cup, and also pouring himself a drink too.

                Rising up his wine glass, “Cheers,” he announced, “To our 2 year anniversary.  I love you, Bom.”Blushing, she picked up her glass and raised it up also.  “Cheers.”  Tapping their glasses together, they took a sip.

                After eating dinner, they walked along the Han River, walking beside each other, holding hands.  Stopping at a bench nearby, they took a seat and stared at the bright lights bordering the river.  The atmosphere was silent.  The only thing heard were the cars driving through the bridge.

                The wind blew against her skin, she shivered in reaction.  Jiyong took off his suit and put it over her shoulders, covering her body.  He then wraps his arms around her back, pulling her closer to him.  “Thanks.” She smiled.

                The vibration of Jiyong’s cell phone ranged from his suit’s pockets.  The vibration was felt by Bom.  Jiyong heard, but ignored at stared into the water.  “Jiyong, your phone is ringing.” She taps him in the arm.  “Jiyong…”

                “Pick it up.” He said, still looking out to the lights of the bridge.  She sighs and reached to answer it.  As she searched for his phone, she felt a small box in the way.  Instead of picking up his phone, the pulls out the box.  It was a small black jewelry box.  “Jiyong, what is this?”  She asked, looking at him.  “I don’t know.  Open it up and see it for yourself.”  He smiled at her, looking innocently like he had no clue what it was.

                Opening the small jewelry box, it was a diamond necklace, designed as a butterfly.  She smiled as she saw it.  “Ji….” She fades out.  “It’s for you.”  He said as he reached for the necklace from the case.  “Can I put it on you?” He shyly asked.

                She laughed at his question, “Sure.” She turned around, with her back facing him and slide her hair up to make it easier for him.  Locking the necklace in place, “There.” He said.  She drops her hair back down.  “It’s beautiful, Ji.”  She leans over to peck him a soft kiss on the lips.

-      -     -     -     -     -     -

                It was September.  The leaves were changing to different hues.  Bom had just received a phone call from her parents, saying that she had to come home, it was a family emergency.  Without telling Jiyong, since he was still stress about work and busy, she packed her stuff and left for the train station.

-      -     -     -     -     -     -

                Four years later, Bom have not come back from her visit to her parents.  She left Jiyong still wondering about her disappearance.  For the last two years, all of his songs and album was dedicated to Bom, only Bom.

                Jiyong was in the recording studio, with his lyric notebook and his pen, writing a new song about Bom again.  Tapping his pen on the table, thinking about the next line to write, his phone ranged.  He sighed and picked up his phone, “Hello?”  No response was heard.  “Hello?”  He again asked through the phone.  No response was heard again.  Since no one was answering, he was about to end the phone call until a voice was heard, “Daddy?”  A boy’s voice was heard through the phone.

                “What?” Jiyong confusingly asked.  “I think you got the wrong number.”

                “Honey, who are you talking to?”  A women’s voice was heard from behind the phone.  The lady took the phone from her grandson’s hands.  “Hello?”  She asked.

                “Hello, who is this?”  Jiyong asked.  “This is the Park’s House, and you are?” She answered, also asking a question.  Jiyong definitely recognized that voice.  “Umm… Hello?” She asked again.

                “Oh, yes... Hello?” He replied.

                “Sorry for my grandson, he’s 3 years old and doesn’t know much.  I’m sorry to bother you.”

                “No, it’s okay.”  He replied.  As the lady was about to end the phone conversation, Jiyong quickly talked, interrupting her from doing so.  “Excuse me, mom?”  The lady from behind the phone was confused from the name she was called.  “Excuse me, but do I know you?” She asked.

                “It’s me, Jiyong.” He answered.

                “Jiyong?  My son in-law… Kwon Jiyong?” She asked.  “Yes,” he responded.  With the answer, she quickly removed the phone away from her ear, not believing it was actually him.  As she was about to hang up on him, Jiyong yelled from the other line.  “Omma, omma!  Don’t hang up, I still want to talk!”

                Putting the phone back on her ear, she listened to what he had to say.  “Omma, it’s been so long since I’ve seen Bom.  Do you know where she is?”  Tears fell on the woman’s face as she heard her daughter’s name.

                “You haven’t heard the news yet?” She quickly asked.  “What news?” he asked confused.  “Bom left us, all of us.  She’s in a better place now.”  She finished as more tears fell down.  Quickly, he did also. “What?!  How can this happen?  Why wasn’t I notified by this?!”  He cried in disbelief.

                As Bom’s mom was still drowning in tears, he answered his question.  “She left us, Ji.  She wasn’t strong enough.”

                “Strong enough?  Strong enough for what?!”

                “SS..She wasn’t strong enough t-to deliver our g-g-grandson, Ji.”  She stuttered from crying.

                “WHAT?!!”

-     -     -     -     -     -     -

                Two weeks after that phone call, a knock was heard from his front doors.  Jiyong ran to answer it.  His mother in-law was in the front doors with a child next to her, holding her hands.  “Hi, mom.” He immediately bowed.  Looking down at the child, “Who’s this?” he questioned.

                “Kwon Hyun Ki, your son.”

                He kneeled down to the kid, and picked him up.  The kid had his nose, lips, and ears, but he definitely was passed down with his mother’s eyes.  Her beautiful eyes.

-     -     -     -     -     -     -

To clear something up

A butterflies life cycle: Once winter comes, they fly south to a warmer climate.  As winter ends, the butterlies fly back up north, but they can only make it half way there.  They have their babies and the babies finish the journey back home for them.  (I got the idea because my sister was watching an educational show, talking about butterflies, which reminded me about our lovely couple).

This One-Shot was kinda, "EHH?" but I DON'T CARE ; *runs away to cry*