Good and Bad News

Pregnancy Complications - Baekhyun

“Please, don’t take them from me” Baekhyun pleaded, allowing himself to let his emotions sweep through his body, he took a few deep breaths before he was ready to face reality. Wiping away his tears, he exited his car and locked it behind him before running into the Emergency Room. Trotting up to the front desk, he asked for your name and status. With a little searching, the receptionists asked him to sit and wait for you in the lobby.

Nodding his head a little, he turned around and headed to the couches to anxiously await any word on you. Staying close to the front desk, he grabbed himself a coffee from the cafe within the hospital. Pacing back and forth for a good hour, the doctor finally walked out and approached him. Standing to his feet, Baekhyun’s eyes widened ready to hear anything on your condition.

“She is very dehydrated and malnourished, we started her on an IV trying to get her rehydrated before we give her an anti-nauseating medication, then we will see if she will eat from there” The doctor explained.

“What about the babies?” Baekhyun questioned, relieved that you were being taken care of.

“We are going to have a doctor come down from the OGB/YN office and check the babies out. We can take you back if you would like” The doctor added as a nurse joined him in the waiting room.

“Yes, please” Baekhyun nodded as the nurse turned around, leading him to the room where you were staying.

“We will be in to check her after a little while, try not to disturb her” The nurse whispered as she opened the door for Baekhyun

“Thank you” Baekhyun whispered back before stepping into your room, his footsteps lightly tread over the tile floor while his eyes watched you laying in the bed, being outfitted in a gown with your hair still tied back from this morning.

Quietly taking a seat beside you, he pulled himself closer to you as his fingers gently brushed your skin softly letting you know that he was there. Listening to the monitors around you, he waited patiently for a while, the sun now proudly shining in the sky, while the shadows of the blinds cast across the tile floor in your room.

Dozing off in his chair with Baekhyun’s hand lightly resting in yours, you moved slightly causing him to wake and lean into you. Your hand rubbed your stomach gently before your eyes opened, blinking a few times, you cleared your vision before you looked around your darkened room.

“Baek?” You questioned before feeling his hand in yours, turning your head a bright, relieved smile proudly curled his lips away from his teeth.

“Hi yeobo” He whispered, his hand lacing with yours, “You doing okay?”

“Mhmm” You hummed, nodding your head against the pillow before a knock on the door and a woman in a white coat slipped through the door.

“Hello Mr. and Mrs. Byun. I am Dr. Kim and I will be checking to see how your babies are handling all of this” Her sweet smile gave you a sense of relief as her nurse pulled a monitor over as she grabbed the cool gel.

Lifting your gown up, she placed the cool gel on your stomach before moving the ultrasound across your stomach. With her eyes fixated on the screen while her hand moved the monitor around, you held onto Baekhyun’s hand slightly tighter as he held your hand back.

“Everything will be okay” Baekhyun tried to reassure you as your worried eyes met his calm ones.

Within a minute or two, the doctor placed the monitor back on the cart and wiped the excess gel from your skin.

“Would you two like the good or bad news first?” The doctor questioned, her bright smile was far gone from her lips.

“Bad news please” You whispered letting your eyes turn from your husband’s eyes to the doctor that faced both of you.

“You have a condition; it isn’t life threatening but it is serious and we need to do some things to ensure that you and your babies don’t have lasting effects.” The doctor explained

“W-What kind of condition is it?” Baekhyun questioned, one of his worst fears coming true.

“You have Hyperemesis Gravidarum, it occurs when there is severe, persistent nausea and vomiting during pregnancy—more extreme than “morning sickness.” This can lead to weight loss and dehydration and may require intensive treatment and is most common when carrying twins.” The doctor explained as your hormones started to get the best of you, causing tears to swell in your eyes.

“W-What’s the good news?” Baekhyun questioned feeling the familiar sting of tears in his eyes.

“We caught it just in time, and your babies are looking hungry” Her small smile curled on her lips, my nurse will hook you up to a monitor so we can make sure that the babies are doing well and I will be back in a while to check back up on them.

Standing to his feet, Baekhyun bowed and thanked her before she left the room, leaving her assistant to finish with hooking you up the monitors and machines.

“That’s good news” Baekhyun whispered, brushing his thumb across your fingers.

“I have a condition though…” You whispered gently

“But it is treatable and we caught it before it got too late” Baekhyun reasoned, seeing the nurse finish up before bowing and leaving the room. “Our babies are doing well too”

“I should have told you earlier…” You whispered as your bloodshot eyes peered into his.

“It’s okay” Baekhyun reassured knowing that you would beat yourself up more if he said anything else.

“Don’t you have to go to work today?” You questioned taking deep breaths as you felt the IV seep into your dehydrated tissues.

“I’m not going anywhere” Baekhyun gently leaned over and kissed your head, “I don’t want to be a drive away when you might need me”

“Need you? To do what?” You questioned, tilting your head to one side

“Anything, anything you or the babies need” Baekhyun whispered, his fingers tucking some fallen strands of hair behind your ear.