Start of Time

Coming Home

 

Prince Kyungsoo silently hummed as he made his way back to the palace, venturing through the forest which he was greatly accustomed to. It was his usual routine, but he didn't like to think of it that way for then it would title it a tedious duty, but he found it to be anything but that. It was for him, a much-required escape from his royal duties as a prince of Goryeo that proved to be more tiring than entertaining. 

 

 

Having changed back into his royal attire he secretly entered the palace, not at all worried that he would be caught. after all, he's been doing this for quite a while.

 

 

"Ah Prince Kyungsoo!"

 

 

"There he is!"

 

 

"Prince, Prince Kyungsoo!" 

 

 

"Prince Kyungsoo, forgive us for interrupting your walk but the King ask for your presence" said Eunuch Sung, respectfully bowing in front of the prince.

 

 

"Really?" Kyungsoo said, surprise etched on his countenance especially his eyes that seemed to double in size. It wasn't everyday the king asked for his presence. Excitement arose in him as he realized that this was chance to ask for something he's been wanting to. Maybe, just maybe, the king would hear him out.

 

 

"Yes, Prince" answered Eunuch Sung immediately.

 

 

"Very well then, I suppose I shall go" Kyungsoo matter-of-factly stated, but he couldn't hide the grin that graced his face as he made his way to the king with the happiness of a child.

 

 

-------------------------

 

"You ask for my presence, King?" Kyungsoo said as he bowed down avoiding all possible eye contact as usual. Kyungsoo heart hammered against his chest due to how nervous he was. He couldnt wait to ask the king something of grave importance to him.

 

 

"Ah, yes...how are you Kyungsoo?" the king questioned as began reading some documents before him.

 

 

"I'm very good, my king. But I actually have something-" 

 

 

"Yes, that's nice." the king interrupted, not even realizing he did so. "I have some good news for you". The king finally looked up to look at Kyungsoo. "You are familiar with Count Jin I presume."

 

 

"Yes, king I am. He's the official Count of Goryeo who is under some controversy and-"

 

 

"Let me get to the point" the king said not at all bothered that that was the second time he interrupted Kyungsoo. "Being that he has a scandal at he moment, he and his family are being attacked both physically and mentally. Count Jin is a good man and doesn't deserve any of this. In order to lighten his load and my load, I have promised you his only daughter. You see, if you marry his daughter, the scandal will hopefully disappear."

 

 

Kyungsoo heart sank upon hearing these words. He was frozen in place hoping that he heard wrong. He shut his eyes closed wishing to be anywhere but there, but upon opening he was alone with king before him.

 

 

He couldnt. No, he wouldn't marry her. He already had given his heart to another woman. He couldnt betray her like this. His heart hurt so badly he felt like it might burst.

 

 

"My king I...I" his words stuck in his throat. He couldnt believe this was happening "I......have already promised myself to someone else" Kyungsoo said in a whisper.

 

The king merely laughed at his son. Kyungsoo has always been his most foolish and immature son since childhood. He hoped with this marriage, it would mature him and also most importantly help himslef by getting rid of Kyungsoo being around here all the time. "Do you dare reject the king's gift?" the king replied with fire in his eyes that told Kyungsoo this was no joke.

 

 

"No, king, I didn't mean it like that" Kyungsoo said, attempting to ease the king's anger. After all, even thought he was his son, that didn't mean he wouldn't kill him. 

 

 

"Ah, so you accept" the king stated. 

 

 

Kyungsoo realized that there was no way out of this marriage. It was death or acceptance. Then an idea sprouted in his mind. "I'll accept, if you let me have a second woman of my choice" Kyungsoo said without a second thought. Kyungsoo knew that the woman he loved could never be of significance for she was a mere peasant so her being his second woman would be the best thing he could get.

 

 

"That's rather bold, son. Nevertheless I agree. To be clear with everything, you will marry the count's daughter in one month time. When we announce the marriage you may announce the name of your second woman to me or how many ever you want" the king declared hoping to be done with the matter.

 

"A hundred thanks, my king, I will hold to everything you say" Kyungsoo replied hurriedly before the king could change his mind. "I will take me leave now, king" Kyungsoo bowed then began heading to the door. Although his woman wouldn't be first wife, he didn't care. As long as she was his second woman it would be all right. he decided that he wouldn't spare a glance at that Count Jin's daughter. He wouldn't need to either, for he was already in love. 

 

"Oh, Kyungsoo, one last thing: your new home has now completed its construction" 

 

 

Kyungsoo eyes lit up with happiness. His new home had been under construction for a couple months now and hearing that it was now completed made his heart leap with happiness. "Yes, my king, I..I will go take a look at my new house then.." Kyungsoo practically shouted not being able to hide his gratitude. He bowed twice and made his exit, immediately calling for a horse so he could take a look at his new place.