ADOPTION

EVANESCE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

A month swiftly passes filled with long night recording sessions and more house hunting. On top of it all was the adoption process. They filed for it about a year ago and are now waiting for ‘the call’. Seungyoon is relieved that they’re past the interviews they dreaded that sometimes fell on Monday mornings - the nights before each meeting had been particularly hard on both of them. They would spend it lying awake in bed for hours assuring each other that everything will be alright.

 

They decided on a newborn, its gender didn’t matter to them. They would gladly take and bestow all their love to any child offered to them. Seungyoon convinced Jinwoo to it, it was better than both of them going around visiting homes and facilities. Jinwoo is too soft-hearted for his own good and would always grow attached to the different children they got to meet there. He would want to bring them home and Seungyoon would always have to be the ‘bad guy’ that would pull him aside and remind him that the children aren’t like stray cats that they can just take home as they please.

 

When Seungyoon woke up that morning in their cramped condo, his husband’s side of the bed was cold. He enters the kitchen and finds him by the sink, phone pressed to his ear, his coffee mug empty on the kitchen table. Highlighted strands of his hair caught the sun, he was wearing Seungyoon’s shirt - the one Seungyoon had on the night before.

 

“G’morning, baby.” Jinwoo mouths to him and smiles.

 

“You look amazing in my shirt.” Seungyoon remarks, lightly grabbing his husband’s bum as he passed him on his way to the fridge.

 

To this day Seungyoon isn’t exactly sure when Jinwoo had moved in with him, all he knows is that he sure as heck never ever wanted him to move out. Their fourth date comes to mind - he invited Jinwoo over who was curious about his unreleased music. They spent a good amount of time listening to them, Jinwoo’s eyes shining bright as he animatedly gushed about each one. Seeing him so excited and pleased about each one made Seungyoon feel proud, it made him feel like he was on top of the world.

 

They ordered Chinese food that night and neither of them had noticed that its delivery was running late. They talked about Jinwoo’s kittens as they ate, Jinwoo’s hometown, Jinwoo’s modeling career - time flew by and close to midnight they were both on the couch watching a movie that Jinwoo picked out. Seungyoon turned down the lights and microwaved some popcorn. He doesn’t know what the movie they watched was about, all he recalls is Jinwoo’s delicate features bathed in flashes of tv light and how terribly besotted by him he was. After-all, Seungyoon ended up watching Jinwoo that night instead of watching the movie.

 

He doesn’t recall how they got in that position that night either, from supposedly watching a movie to having a steamy make-out session on the couch. It was the first time they kissed and neither of them wanted to stop. Everything Seungyoon thought he knew had disappeared in his mind the moment their mouths met. Jinwoo devoured his whole heart with his sweet persuasive lips. The movie played on and by the time the ending credits started rolling he had Jinwoo on his bed, and Jinwoo was letting him do unspeakable things to him that made his heart beat faster and faster.

 

It was natural how they fitted together. Under low lights and engulfed in Jinwoo’s tight heat, Seungyoon felt that he was and to this day still is - truly his first and only true love. All other loves that came before him had become irrelevant. In the silence of the night, Seungyoon held the galaxy in his arms for the first time. He wrapped himself against him so tightly, his I love you’s marking Jinwoo like ink, sinking deep into his skin and penetrating his core so that he would never mistake them as something temporary. It was on that night that Seungyoon sought out to become a permanent part of him.

 

Jinwoo never left his side since then, and Seungyoon was never just Seungyoon anymore - it all became Seungyoon and Jinwoo from that point on. Jinwoo took over half his closet and bought his kittens in. Seungyoon’s life turned upside down and he was never the same again. Jinwoo, who was once only a dream to him, has become the reality he gets to wake up to every morning.

 

They ate a lot of ice cream and went to almost every single music festival in the summer, driving with the windows down and making out in the backseat while the sun set before them. In the autumn they spent most of their time in the park, taking long walks while holding hands. Jinwoo grew an interest in cooking and was always excited to have Seungyoon try out his new dishes. They drank cheap wine in plastic cups and got drunk with each others lips as they kissed under the canopy of changing leaves. In the wintertime they watched the snow flurry around them, their cold red noses touching each time they purposely and giddily got under the mistletoe. They pulled each other close, kissing unhurriedly under it, relishing in the feel of each other’s lips and the corniness of it all. When springtime came around, they had gone full circle. They snuggled in bed with the cats on rainy days and when the weather finally got cooperative, Jinwoo took him back to his hometown to meet his family. It was mid-April, Jinwoo took him to see the blooming tulip fields in Imjado that day. Seungyoon felt happy being there with quite literally the person of his dreams right next to him, smiling and laughing.

 

“Jinwoo, let me love you for the rest of my life. Marry me.”

 

Seungyoon thinks it was the longest wait he had to endure, Jinwoo had not responded and was only silently staring at the ring he was offering him. Next thing he knows they’re pressed so tightly together that not even a breeze could pass between them. Jinwoo wanted him close, so close that they can literally feel each other’s heart beating. Seungyoon didn’t need to hear him say anything after that, Jinwoo’s beating heart had already given him the answer - loudly, clearly, immeasurably.

 

That night, Seungyoon penned his love for Jinwoo all over his skin with his lips. He made music for a living and he created an entirely new melody just for him. A melody for a love so profound that it can only be heard and understood by the two of them.

         

“What did our lawyer say?”

 

Jinwoo sighs in response, walking back to the kitchen table and sitting on Seungyoon’s waiting lap.

 

“They found someone.” Jinwoo bit into his bottom lip, voice going low, “Someone who will give us their baby.”

 

Seungyoon feels time stop, it’s taken them almost a year to get this far. Jinwoo’s eyes locked into his, a certain sadness in them.

 

“I thought I’d be really happy the moment we got ‘the call’ but right now I just feel horrible.” Jinwoo admits, “I‘m literally going to take a newborn child from his young mother just so we can have a family.”

 

“It’s ‘we’, Jinwoo. We’re doing this together.” Seungyoon reminds him, “We aren’t taking her baby away. She’s giving her baby to us, willingly.”

 

It’s like slow motion tranquility, Jinwoo’s eyes were warm and luminous in the sun as he nodded and held his gaze in understanding. Seungyoon hopes to grow old with him, hopes to see the same look in his eyes when they’re 70-something. Jinwoo’s eyes on him, that he will never ever stop loving.

 

“It’s really happening. We’re going to have a baby.” Jinwoo pressed even closer to him, “You’re going to make a very good dad. I just know it.” his voice was gentle, “I can’t wait for the day that I finally get to see you holding our baby.”

 

Seungyoon felt his own smile starting to build in respo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter