Children

And to be honest, it was okay-

I double updated, kindly check the previous chapter if you haven't :)

---

If you asked Yoongi one thing he hated more than rain and going to school, the answer was probably waking up before wanted to. Well, his mother once tried to know how long her son could possibly sleep. And Yoongi ended up sleeping for 22 hours straight, according to his mother calculation. What a record.

That morning, Yoongi was forced to wake before dawn, because it was his class’s turn to do a social service, some campaign to raise awareness to the unfortunate others. He was going to an orphanage in suburbia, 19km far from Yoongi’s school. And the day before, Yoongi had heard that the trip wouldn’t be pleasant, since the road to the village was bumpy, to which Yoongi rolled his eyes.

Oh, Yoongi hated to sleep in shaking car more than he hated to wake up in the morning.

When everyone was settled down in the bus, Yoongi was the first one to yawn. After a short bickering with his friend, Yoongi successfully got to sit near the window at the back row of the bus. When Yoongi’s home teacher called the driver to depart, Yoongi couldn’t be happier. He soon leaned to the window and tried to catch up his delayed sleep.

And failed miserably.

The orphanage was better than Yoongi thought, but the children were the worst. Yoongi was never good with handling children, he convinced it was because he was a boy. When he was assigned to teach some 3 years old children some new words, Yoongi prayed to God not to let him cursed in front of them.

“The dwarfs are Snow White’s friends, the Queen and her subordinates are her enemies,” Yoongi said while holding a fairy tale book, three children was in front of him.

“Fwends and emenies,” one of the child muttered, showing his only two bunny teeth.

“Friends and enemies,” Yoongi corrected while smiling.

“Emenish,” the other child said.

“E-ne-mies,” Yoongi said with the most clearest pronunciation he could pull off.

“NEMESIS!” The child with bunny teeth shouted then giggling.

Yoongi sighed then closed his eyes, preventing him from rolling his eyes. Oh God, give me strength.

When it was the time to play outside, Yoongi thought it would be less hard since all he had to do was watching the children and brought them to the teachers if they fell or cried. Turned out ‘playing’ time was consisted of him sway the swing, making sure that everyone had their turn, and preventing children from eating sand.

Children were the worst.

“It’s starting to look like you are giving up,” the girl’s sound greeted Yoongi’s ears who was sitting under the tree near the sandbox. Here we go again with her talking. Yoongi was far too tired to be the girl interlocutor at the moment.

Yoongi sighed as the answer.

“But that’s alright, I am too,” she sighed and then pouted.

When Yoongi gave her a look, the girl defending herself and Yoongi told her about how false her words sounded in Yoongi’s ear. Since there was a girl who is giving up to take care of children, isn’t it what girls do best? Taking care of children? Yoongi asked.

“Maybe. But for me to wake up before dawn to play with these children who is been trying to put their make-up toys on my face all day, it would be a lie if I said it wasn’t tiring.”

Yoongi nodded.

“And their crying. God, if only I could mute them for a good minute,” the girl shook her head in disdain.

Yoongi chuckled in understanding. He could felt sympathy washed out his body.

Children are indeed the worst, Yoongi murmured.

“But you know, this is an orphanage, every child here wasn’t as fortunate as us, like having parents and all.”

“I know,” Yoongi wouldn’t forget.

“That boy with two bunny teeth, I heard he was found under the bridge near here. No message, no food, no blanket. Teacher said he was lucky enough to be alive,” the girl pointed at the mentioned boy.

The smile in Yoongi’s face was long gone.

The bunny teethed boy then suddenly stood up, walked up towards the two under the tree. His hands were hiding behind his back. Yoongi squinted his eyes, glanced at his pants almost automatically.

“Don’t tell me he pooped,” Yoongi breathed.

“Hey, be nice!” The girl reminded, the annoyance in Yoongi’s face washed out just like that.

“Hyung?” The boy asked timidly. Yoongi straightened his sitting to match height with the boy.

“What is it? Hmm?”

The boy then took out his hands from behind, in which were handful sands, and throwing it out to Yoongi’s face. What the heck. Yoongi coughed few times and opened his eyes to find the boy giggled in front of him before running back towards the sand, gathered up with his friends who also laughing at Yoongi. The girl beside him had an amused look a second ago before joining the laughing party a second later. Yoongi rolled his eyes, the least he could do to retain his pride.

“Brat,” he cursed while cleaning his clothes.

The girl shed a single tear that showed up from her eyes, she was laughing too hard. Then she waved to the child in the sandbox, calling him the bravest kids alive to dare to throw Min Yoongi’s face with sand. The boy then grinned in all of his innocence and his almighty two teeth. Yoongi snorted seeing how proud the kid looked.

“Why is it that the saddest people have the nicest smiles?” the girl mumbled.

“I wonder too.”

Maybe children are not the worst, life is, Yoongi thought.