Conscience

And to be honest, it was okay-

Yoongi didn’t remember saying to the girl that they were officially friends after that incident, but that was what happened.  Since the following morning, the girl always greeted Yoongi at the beginning of the day.  She even started conversations sometimes, when Yoongi chose not to sit at the back row.

“Yoongi!” the girl nudged Yoongi’s arm when he took a casual nap in class.

And of course, she still talked too much, in Yoongi’s opinion.  After the girl called his name the third time, Yoongi woke up.  He groaned and mumbled some words that supposed to sound ‘what is it?’. Fortunately, the girl didn’t bother and went straight to the point.

“Let’s go see a movie after school!”

Yoongi’s eyes snapped out in a second.  What was it that she just said?

“Beg your pardon?” Yoongi answered while his expression was more like ‘Are you ing sure?’.

“Let’s go see a movie with the others, it’s going to be fun!  Some of your friends have agreed to join!”

Gee, I thought it was just the two of us, Yoongi muttered.  Now that he wasn’t as surprised as before, his eyelids started to weigh again.  He usually rejected any kind of invitation in a blink, but this time it oddly sounded very fun.  Yoongi didn’t hide his hesitant face in front of the girl, which she caught promptly.

“I won’t accept a ‘No’, so I assume that was a ‘Yes’.”  Then she left the class.

Yoongi lifted one eyebrow, she talks too much, then went back to his paused nap.  Little did he know, he was sleeping with a smile on his lips.

When they were heading back from the cinema, Yoongi and the girl were the only two left behind.  The girl had left her jacket back at the studio, and when she remembered that, she grabbed the nearest hand on her sight and dragged the owner to accompany her back to the cinema.  And that particular hand belonged to Yoongi.  He flinched when their skin first touched, he still couldn’t believe that her hand was always that cold.  Anyhow, he let himself being dragged.

So there they were, walking side by side beneath the night sky, after getting her jacket back.  The humid ambiance that night warned everyone that it could rain at any time, which Yoongi hoped would never happen.  He hated rain, obviously.  Rain made his shoes damp or at least dirty, decorated with brown stains, making it unpleasant to look at.  And of course, he despised the drastic change in temperature.  He never liked cold, it made your ankle ache somehow, and the chill was unbearable, like the girl’s hand.

“Why are your hands always cold?” The girl was surprised to find Yoongi was actually talking to her, but believe it or not Yoongi was more surprised that anyone else.

Why did he suddenly think about the girl’s hands?

It took several seconds before the girl answered, “I don’t know either. I’ve read somewhere that it could be a weak heart condition, but I never had any problems in PE class and I’ve never passed out either.  So, I don’t know.”

So she doesn’t know, Yoongi muttered.  Then the girl suddenly stopped, and so did Yoongi, after a step ahead.  She stretched out one of her hand.

“Here, feel my hand! It is even colder in this kind of weather!”

Yoongi put his hand on her palms, the cold soon transferred in Yoongi blood the moment their skin brushed.  Then she put her other hand over Yoongi’s, making his sandwiched between hers.  Other passerby was starting to look at them, but Yoongi couldn’t care less.

“You should get them checked,” Yoongi suggested.

“I’ve been planning to,” the girl released their hands, “but never got the actual chance to do that,” then she started to walk again.

Yoongi followed her, but his hand was falsely feeling empty.  The cold that a moment ago his epidermis was gone, and not even the night breeze in this rainy season could replace it.  Did he want to touch her hands again?  The thought never really made its way to Yoongi’s slow-witted brain.

“I’ll walk you home.” Yoongi just wanted to be polite, since it was night and was probably going to rain soon.  He was just being a gentleman, or so he thought.

“You don’t have to,” she said, still looking ahead.

“I’ll walk you home.”

Yoongi caught the girl giving him a glance on his peripheral.  She looked like she wanted to ask why but Yoongi pretended not to notice.

The silence took over again for a while.  The murmurs of the town can be heard, but this time Yoongi didn’t enjoy it.  His cerebral was busy drowning in deep thought.

“Why did you decide to be friends with me?” Yoongi asked.  This question had been lingering in the back of his head over the semester, since the girl started to greet him every morning.  He barely talked to any girl in his class, unless it was required for doing an assignment.  The girls were also never interested in him, so it worked perfectly on both sides.  But she was exceptional.

Yoongi knew that his question was an odd one.  And considering it was the first voice that came out from both mouths after ten minutes of silent walking, he was ready to get a question as an answer, like ‘what do you mean?’ or something similar.

“Because, you have conscience.”

Now that was not what Yoongi expected.  A light snort came out from Yoongi, he shook his head in fascination.

“Of course I have conscience,” Yoongi clacked.

They both giggled at the odd conversation they both just had and continued walking home.