5. The Question

The Great Pretenders

"Did you see my notes?" 

"Nope." 

She stops upturning her table and turns to her boyfriend who is on the bed, just watching her in amusement. She glares at him, "Give it to me, Baekhyun." 

He frowns. "I didn't take it." 

She sighs in annoyance. "My presentation is tomorrow. I can't afford to lose it. Give it!" 

"I didn't take it!" Baekhyun swears, eyes wide, three fingers up. 

She rolls her eyes and stomps over to him, flipping over the blanket. There is nothing there. She pushes him aside and finds that he isn't sitting on it. She digs under the pillow, prepared to grasp onto the documents that her boyfriend has kept from her. She finds nothing. 

"Baekhyun," she whines. "Please return it to me," she begs desperately, still adamant that her boyfriend has kept it from her as a way of pranking her in his most twisted sense of humour. 

"I didn't take it!" he says again, this time in frustration. Why does she never believe him?

"Okay, then stop hiding it!" she snaps. 

She is anxious because the presentation that she will be giving tomorrow will be to the big boss in her company, as well as some other business associates. She has been working really hard with her supervisor on it, just to make sure that it turns out perfect. But now that she cannot find it, she is freaking out. And she swears her boyfriend is pulling a prank on her because that is just what he likes to do. 

"I didn't hide it!" Baekhyun swears, hurt and angered by her accusation. But then again, he understands why she is even suspecting him for taking it since he has done something like this before. Many times. "Maybe you misplaced it," he scoffs.

"I don't just misplace something as important as this," she almost cries. She looks at Baekhyun with teary eyes, begging one last time, "Baby, please. Give it back to me." 

"I didn't take it," he says quietly, softening now at the sight of her tears. 

This time, she buries her face in her hands as she drops onto the bed, really crying now. The stress is finally getting to her after so many weeks of O.T. and brainstorming just to get the presentation to where it is now. But that would all be in vain because she lost her notes and her boyfriend is being an idiot who likes playing jokes on her. He is an actor, he knows how to play with her feelings. She just wants things to go right and yet Baekhyun is not even helping her, instead trying to sabotaging her potential promotion that she has worked so hard for.

"Baby," Baekhyun calls, scooting closer to take her hands away from her face. She slaps his hands away angrily as she stands. "I didn't take it!" he shouts in frustration. 

"You did!" she accused, her voice strong despite the tears streaming down her cheeks. As she returns to her hunt for the presentation notes, she mutters angrily, loudly, "I can't believe you would do this, Baekhyun. You know how much this means to me." 

"But I really didn't take it!" he groans, unable to keep it in anymore. He gets off the bed and tries to look for it as well. "I don't get why you would think I'd hide it from you."

"Because you've done it before and you would do it again!" she yells, slamming a book on the table. She turns to glare at Baekhyun, who looks just as mad by her assumption. "You're an amazing actor, Baekhyun. Did you know that?" she sneers. 

Baekhyun's eye twitches. "You're a , did you know that?" he snaps back, meaning to hurt her as much as she hurt him with what she had just said.

"Oh, I know," she laughs hollowly, quickly wiping a tear that had just slipped down her cheek. "You tell me that every ing day." 

They keep their gaze on each other, eyes just shooting daggers, hoping for at least one to hit them in the chest. Before one actually gets to hit the target, Baekhyun purses his lips and turns away. The both of them continue to search for the document in silence, none of them wanting to speak to the other. After a long time of upturning the house, the girl stops. She lets out a small gasp as her eyes grow wide. Baekhyun pauses to look up at her expression before rolling his eyes and going back to flipping through a file that neither of them had touched since a year ago. Baekhyun is surprised when his girlfriend grabs her car keys and runs out of the house. Not wanting to waste time, he continues to look for her notes.

"Baby!" the girl shouts when she enters the apartment again a few minutes later. "I found it!" 

Baekhyun stops. Puts down the file. his teeth. 

His girl bounds over to him sitting on the ground in front of the coffee table with files and books in front of him, all flipped through and thrown aside. She falls to the ground next to him, waving the set of paper in front of her with a wide smile. 

"It was in my car. I put it under my bag and forgot to take it." 

Baekhyun clenches his teeth. Forces a smile. "That's great." 

She hears how forced his words are. Her smile falls as she watches Baekhyun packing everything on the table hastily, almost lividly. He dumps everything into the box with a loud, angry thud and strides back into the room. She deflates even though she has finally found the important document she had been looking so hard for the past two hours. 

She knows she hurt Baekhyun with her accusations and assumptions. She knows that she is in the wrong this time. She knows she should apologise. 

So she quickly arranges the files and documents neatly in the box before getting up with her notes tightly gripped in her hand. She can't lose it again. Because losing it once has already brought on friction between her boyfriend and her, and she doesn't want that to happen again. 

When she enters the room, she is greeted with Baekhyun's profile as he packs up her table silently. His jaw is clenched and his glare on the things on the table is scary. His entire being is just exuding exasperation and fury. 

"Baekhyun," she calls softly. She knows he can hear her, yet he doesn't answer her. "Baby, I'm sorry." 

He stops his movements and lifts his head. He doesn't turn to her, however. He merely stares at the wall in front of him. His jaw ticks. She notices his fingers curling around his past script. She swallows and takes a tentative step closer to him. 

"I shouldn't have accused you for taking it," she apologises quietly, sincerely. "I just... I was anxious. And scared." 

Baekhyun absorbs her words. He rubs his face in frustration before turning to her, his gaze hard. "I may have done this before but that doesn't mean I'd do it again," he mutters expressionlessly. "Especially not with this. I wouldn't give you such anxiety the day before your big presentation." 

"I know," she nods, taking his talking as a good sign. She comes closer and puts down her notes on the table before reaching up to cup his face. "I know, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that." He stares at her with an unreadable gaze, his countenance void of all emotions. Tears spring to her eyes. "I'm so sorry, Baekhyun," she whispers thickly. "I'm so, so sorry." 

Baekhyun can never stay strong around his girl when she cries. Especially not over him. He shuts his eyes and lets out a controlled breath, trying to let go of the annoyance and frustration. When he opens his eyes again, she is staring at him, lips turned down, tears already falling. 

"It's okay," he whispers, letting go of the paper in his hand as he wraps his arm around her waist to bring her closer. "It's okay, baby. Don't cry." 

She slips her hands around his neck and hugs him, burying her face into the crook of his neck. Baekhyun sighs softly, his tensed muscles finally relaxing at the embrace. He rubs her back in comfort, his other hand holding the back of her head, her hair. 

"Thank you for helping me look for it," she murmurs after a while. She pulls back a little to look at Baekhyun in the eyes. "And I'm sorry for being such a ." 

Baekhyun hums, cupping a side of her face. His thumb wipes the last tear streaming down her cheek. "You were frustrated and nervous. It's fine." 

"It's not," she sighs as he wipes the tear streak on her other cheek with the back of his finger. "I shouldn't have brought it out on you." 

"Better me than anyone else, hmm?" 

She lets out a big sigh and drops her head. "But still..." 

"Shh, darling," he coos, making her look up at him again. His eyes are sincere and loving, no longer hard and menacing. "You can always dish it out on me. We both know I can take it." 

"You were scary when you got mad though," she mumbles, playing with his hair shyly. 

"I know," he laughs a little. "Had to scare you a little bit so you know not to accuse me of something I didn't do again." 

She whines though a small smile plays on her lips. Baekhyun dips his head and nudges her nose with his. She lifts her head and when their lips are aligned, Baekhyun leans in to press his soft lips on hers. She lets out a soft sigh. Baekhyun smiles even as he takes in her breath and deepens the kiss, his hands cupping her jaw, bringing her in closer. 

He takes slow, small steps backwards and she follows him, her hands sliding down to his chest. When the back of his legs hits the back of his legs, Baekhyun breaks the kiss and sits down on the mattress, widening his legs to make her stand between them. She giggles when he lifts her shirt to line kisses down her navel, stopping at her shorts. Her hand automatically finds home in Baekhyun's fluffy hair, her fingers playing with his now mocha brown locks.

"You know," Baekhyun breathes against her skin as he pulls the waistband of her shorts down slowly. "I think my favourite kind of is make-up ." She laughs at that comment. He looks up at her, eyes sincere. "I wouldn't mind living the rest of my life with you." 

She swallows at the possible meaning behind his words. But still, she tries to joke, "So you get to have as much make-up as you want?" 

Baekhyun hums as he presses opened kisses on her hip. "That," he murmurs on her skin. "And also so I get to love you as much as I want."

 

 

Baekhyun is sitting on the ground with a few other children as he plays with them. He has that bad boy look going on and though he really wants to keep up that reputation, he really couldn't say no when his girlfriend's niece went up to him and asked, Uncle Baekhyun, we're missing one more prince, can you play with us? 

He is sitting with his back against the couch, his girlfriend's leg hanging off his shoulder as she sits behind him on the couch, engaging in a conversation with her relatives. They're at her younger sister's birthday party where all her relatives are present. This isn't the first time Baekhyun is meeting her family but still, he is polite and courteous as he puts away his playful side. The only time the two of them are not snapping at each other would be when they're with their family. Not just because they want to make sure to leave a good impression on each other's family but also because they want their own family to know that this is who they're in love with and they want them to love them like their own child, too.

Baekhyun feels his girl massaging his earlobe and he knows she's only doing that because he has his hair styled with wax. He suddenly wishes he hadn't styled his hair just so he could feel her fingers running through his locks. Still, he enjoys her touch. He leans back, a hand running up and down her shin distractedly as he watches the kids play with their toys.

"What about you and Baekhyun?" 

At the mention of his name, Baekhyun looks up. His girlfriend is staring at him, along with her aunt and mother. She looks embarrassed, which makes him frown.

"When are you guys getting married?" her aunt asks, eyebrows wiggling, now looking at him. 

The corner of Baekhyun's lips curls, now understanding why his girl looks so abashed. He glances at her mother, who is also staring at him. His girlfriend is the oldest child with her sister being the youngest. Her mother is just waiting for her eldest daughter to finally get married and settle down, so she will have grandkids to hold. 

"Do you want to marry me?" Baekhyun turns his head to stare at his girl. 

What kind of question is that? she thinks. 

But for Baekhyun, he truly wants to know. He isn't exactly the world's best boyfriend. He's barely even a good boyfriend, he believes. He really wouldn't be surprised if she says she'd like some time to think about it. It would definitely hurt him but he doesn't blame her. He understands. After all, which boyfriend says more mean things to his girlfriend than saying the nice things? However, her answer ignites a spark in Baekhyun's chest, his heart swelling and thumping.

"Of course, Baekhyun," she says with so much conviction, even her eyebrows are knitted like she cannot believe he would ask her such a thing. "What kind of question is that?" 

They don't notice the girl's mother grinning. Leaving the couple to talk it out, her mother engages the nosy aunt in a conversation, knowing just how much she likes interfering in other people's love lives. But she will not have the chance to do that this time because she really wants to see her daughter get married soon. And if her sister keeps bugging her child, she will eventually lose this moment to just talk to her boyfriend about their future due to her embarrassment.

"Seriously?" Baekhyun breathes, staring at his girlfriend. Would she really want to marry him?

"Yes," she murmurs in slight exasperation. "Being married to you would be a dream." 

Baekhyun gapes at her. Sensing the disbelief and insecurity in his expression, the girl swings her leg away from his shoulder and stands. She squats down to speak to her niece and the other kids are playing with their toys. Baekhyun has his eyes on her profile, taking in the beauty of her features.

Sometimes he wishes his relationship with her is different. Sometimes he wishes complimenting her wouldn't be so hard and rare. But then again maybe that's the amazing thing about their relationship. Compliments and praises are rare but they both know how honest and true they are, not just words said to make the other person happy. And these praises and compliments won't lose their meaning because of the rarity of them, unlike other couples who simply exchange them just for the sake of it.

"Uncle Baekhyun has to go somewhere," the girl tells the children, who are already pouting. "He'll be right back, okay?"

She turns to Baekhyun even though the kids are whining for their prince not to leave. She takes his arm and pulls him up with her. Baekhyun apologises to the children and follows his girl while she wraps her arm around his, slipping her hand into his. She brings him out to the porch where they settle down on the swing, the both of them sitting close to each other, her thigh flushed against his, their entwined hands on his lap. For the first time in a long time, the both of them let go of their prideful nature and their playfulness to have a serious conversation. 

"I think I heard Soo-ah crying when you left," the girl clucks her tongue. "I swear she loves you more than she loves me." 

Baekhyun chuckles. "Can't help being so charming, you know." 

She laughs, hitting his arm. "You're disgusting."

Baekhyun only chuckles quietly, glancing at her watching him. He leans in to kiss her lightly on the lips. She sighs in content when he pulls back and faces the street again, observing the world around him. There is a long moment of silence as the both of them enjoy the warm sun and cool breeze. There are many thoughts running through Baekhyun's head right now. He glances at his girl, who looks just as deep in thought as he is. 

"Did you really mean what you say?" he whispers. 

She turns to look at him. She doesn't need him to explain because she knows exactly what he's referring to. "Of course, Baekhyun," she murmurs quietly. "I love you. And we've been together for almost three years now. I'm getting a little impatient," she says with a teasing smile on her face, hoping to help him feel more at ease. 

It doesn't. In fact, it makes him feel even more nervous. 

"But I don't treat you well and I say mean things to you," he murmurs guiltily. 

"I don't treat you well either," she tells him. "And I say mean things to you too. Our relationship is so twisted yet I love it because it's just so... refreshing. Everyday is like a mystery with you. And I wouldn't change it for the world." 

"Really?" Baekhyun breathes, still insecure about her confession. 

She rolls her eyes playfully. "Yes, Baekhyun." After a moment, her playful expression falls into a frown. "Why? Do you not want to marry me?" 

Baekhyun widens his eyes. "Are you crazy?" he gasps dramatically, now back to his playful self. He feels better now knowing she is just as insecure as he is. (It's twisted, he knows.) "You're the only one for me. My one and only." 

She rolls her eyes at that. His recent musical has the song One and Only and he has been practicing it so much by singing it to her that she swears she knows all the lyrics by now. (She isn't complaining though, she actually likes the song, especially when Baekhyun hums the tune as they go to sleep instead of singing it obnoxiously like he always does when she comes home.) 

Baekhyun grins. "Seriously though. Ask Chanyeol, you're the only girl that I have been with for so long. And I'm not going to change that." 

"Not sure if you're trying to remind me of how many girlfriends you have had, or trying to make me think you're being sweet with that confession," she narrows her eyes on him.

He laughs, clenching her hand and leaning in to kiss her temple. "Maybe both."

"I knew it," she sighs, though a smile is playing on her lips when he keeps kissing her face, getting closer to her lips. Just before Baekhyun closes in on her lips, she whispers, "As long as I'm the last girlfriend you have, I'm content." 

"You're my one and only," he promises before kissing her smile.

 

 

Baekhyun is so nervous that he jumps when the door opens from the inside when he reaches his girlfriend's apartment. She looks at him weirdly, eyebrow raised, a bag of rubbish in her hand. She opens the door wider and steps out past him. He reaches out to hold the door open as he takes a step into her home. 

"Hiding something from me, Byun Baekhyun?" she teases over her shoulder. 

"Yes. I actually am," he whispers to himself, rubbing his sweaty palm on his jeans. 

His girl returns from throwing the trash. She brushes past him after kissing his cheek as a greeting. Why is she being so sweet today, greeting him with such a loving peck on the cheek as a welcome home? It only makes the little organ in his chest pump harder and faster. God, he is so nervous, it is so out of character for him. He has never even felt this nervous before any play before. Not even his biggest play.

He lets go of the door so that it slams shut, locking the couple in the home. His girl is now in her room at the time being, just answering a text from her colleague, though dinner is already served on the dining table, just waiting for Baekhyun to sit and start. She's always cooking for the both of them, doing most of the chores without a complaint or even a prompt. She is already doing things a wife would do, so why not officially make her one, right?

"Baekhyun, I'm hungry," he hears her say, her voice getting gradually louder as she walks out of her room. "Let's start din—"

She stops in her tracks, her eyes rounding into the size of saucer plates. Her boyfriend is on one knee, a famous red velvet box in his palm. She covers her gaping mouth with a hand, just staring at him, unable to say anything.

"I..." Baekhyun clearly hears his voice trembling. He clears his throat but that doesn't help in making him any less nervous. "I'm so nervous, baby... Help me," he pleads breathlessly.

A giggle bubbles up from her chest even as tears spring to her eyes. She rushes forward, immediately dropping to her knees in front of him. 

"Yes, Baekhyun, yes," she cries as she throws her arms around his neck, hugging him. 

Baekhyun lets out a shaky but relieved breath. Wrapping his arms around her body, he hugs her close to him, their bodies flushed against each other. He hears his girl crying in happiness as she laughs, euphoria taking over her. A smile spreads on his lips. Pulling her gently away from him, Baekhyun cups her face to wipe her tears. She is staring at him, eyes dancing in exhilaration. Then, he takes his hand away to open the velvet box, displaying a diamond ring embedded in the black pillow. An awed sob leaves her. 

"You'll be my Mrs. Byun, won't you?" he whispers, just to make sure she really did say yes. 

She looks up at him, nodding rapidly. His grin is the widest it has ever been, and his heart feels like it is going to explode with too much love. He had been nervous and anxious for nothing, now seeing just how eager and happy his girl is. Maybe he really had been waiting for too long but he just couldn't help it when he is constantly being attacked by his insecurities and doubts. 

That evening, Baekhyun doesn't get to eat the dinner she cooked. Because they end up in the bedroom, making passionate love to each other, breathing I love you's down each other's necks, kissing each other with so much emotion that it only leads to round after round of love-making. 

That night, their dinner sits untouched and cold outside while they write the end of this chapter to make way for the next. 

 


Author's note:

The next chapter will mark the end of this fic... It's so sad bc I really love writing this, I really love how their relationship is like. And it's so fun writing every moment that they share together. Every chapter for comes easy to me tbh, which isn't common when I write for other stories. So I'm actually sad that I have to end it... I know some of you will be too, and I'll probably have people asking for sequels etc, but a story will eventually have to end somewhere and I think it would be best if I end it the next chapter. 

So yeah, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Not as much fighting in the last few chapters since I wanted to bring things to a more serious note to get to this point (marriage). I'll make them fight more the next chapter though, promise LOL. Weird how I say that bc people normally don't want fighting in fics because that means bad news, but for this fic it's just so much more fun with them quarreling and bickering lol

Comments and upvotes are always appreciated! 

xoxo