1. The Reunion

The Great Pretenders

Her scowl deepens when he isn't here yet. Everyone else is already there except her because her boyfriend is late. She dials for his number but the line is cut off. Thinking that he rejected her call, she hangs up and seethes in her annoyance. She waits impatiently at the corner, killing time as she plays a game on her phone.

"Do you have to stand here and make it so hard for me to look for you?"

She stops the game and looks up slowly when she hears a familiar voice, his tone annoyed.

"You're late and you dare say that to me?!" she growls, now quickly walking off in the direction of the mall. Baekhyun keeps up easily. She glares at him. "And I tried to call you, why'd you reject it?"

"Because you were calling," he shrugs.

She rolls her eyes. The both of them wait at the lift lobby with some other people to go up to the restaurant where the reunion with her high school friends is taking place at.

"I was probably underground, the call didn't get to me."

"Liar," the girl mutters just as the lift arrives.

As they pile into the elevator, Baekhyun rolls his eyes. "Of course you would think I'd reject your call. You always think of me as the bad guy."

"Aren't you?" she sneers.

"It take two to clap, honey," he says back, his tone biting and his words dripping with sweet venom.

"Wait!"

Someone in the lift, close to the button board, opens the closing door quickly. A lady with a pram comes in view. Baekhyun circles his arm around his girlfriend's waist while she presses her body to his, her cheek bumping against his, making space for the lady.

While she wheels her pram in, the girl mutters, "You've rejected my calls more than once, you'd do it again."

"Yeah, I actually would."

She hits his chest, making him smirk obnoxiously. "You're the biggest ."

"Anyone would reject the call once they know you're calling," Baekhyun mutters.

They don't notice the glances from other people in the lift. They hope that their fight won't get any greater, especially in a small space like this. Only when the lift stops at level six and only when the couple weaves their way out of the confined space, they notice their intertwined hands, shocked.

The way Baekhyun and his girlfriend talk to each other and get on each other's nerves is not healthy and more often than not, their conversations are of harsh words that should cut. People who come across the couple are always afraid that a big fight might break out but when they see that they're still holding hands, they're confused. Because no couple fights while holding hands. Only Baekhyun and his girl do.

"Be nice, Baekhyun," the girl warns as they enter the restaurant.

He rolls his eyes. "Sure, I won't let them know how much you gossiped about them last night."

The girl glares at him. "Don't you dare."

He looks at her, takes in the fire in her eyes, and his lips tilt into a mischievous grin. She's so hot when she looks at him like that.

"I'm serious, you ing idiot," she growls. She knows Baekhyun would do things like that, just to piss her off. And she really did say very mean things about her high school friends. "Don't be a bigger than you already are."

He bobs his shoulders. "Dunno, I quite like to be promoted to The Greatest on your phone."

She saves his number as The Biggest .

"You're ing sick," she mutters just as she spots her friends. She slides a wide smile on her face and waves to them.

"And you're ing fake as ," Baekhyun says under his breath, knowing she can hear him.

She doesn't say anything but pierces her nails into his hand. He hisses in pain. He impatiently watches the girl greet her friends and apologise for being late.

Her high school friends notice the obvious change in her, especially since this is the first time meeting after four years. The girl who used to be quiet and shy is now confident and independent despite having a boyfriend. And about her boyfriend; they never would have thought two people so similar in personalities would be such a match, especially when their personalities are so hard to keep up with. The girls of the group are eyeing Baekhyun, taking in his legs in those torn jeans, the black leather jacket that only accentuates his broad shoulders, his red hair styled effortlessly messily like flaming fire, just like his personality.

"This is Baekhyun," the girl introduces to the group, sounding quite dismissive. No mentioning of him being her boyfriend to warn the girls to back off.

Her boyfriend gives the girls a charming smile and they smile back just as coyly. The girl rolls her eyes mentally and takes her hand out of Baekhyun's. She takes a seat while Baekhyun settles next to her.

Despite this being her high school reunion, most of the girls seem to be more interested in her boyfriend. It only gives her all the more reason to gossip about them the next time. Baekhyun seems to enjoy the attention, especially when he smiles and flirts back as if he isn't attached and his ing girlfriend is right next to him. The girl knows he's doing this to piss her off. It's working. But not because she is jealous. But because he is talking to them about her.

"She's smart," Baekhyun says when they ask him about her job. "She knows to pick the best paying job for the least amount of hours."

"She does so much for me, things that I don't even know how or what to do," he says when they ask him who does the laundry at home.

No, sure, they're nice things, and they're true, too. But compared to all the things they spew at each other all day, everyday, these 'nice' words sound mocking and totally insincere. She hates how Baekhyun is just saying this in front of other people, she hates how he is making her out to be such a good person to others when he always tells her she isn't. So she gets back at him.

"What are you doing?" Baekhyun whisper-hisses when his girlfriend is not engaged in a conversation.

He has been watching her flirt with her guy friends, but not like how he is doing. All he does is gives the girls his best smile and basks in their attention and attraction toward him. But when he notices that his girlfriend is genuinely flirting with the guys, giggling when he has never heard her do that before (he thinks she sounds forced), throwing harmless remarks that has the guys grinning and craving for more of her quips.

That's the thing Baekhyun loves about her. He loves how everyday is just a new day for him to hear more of her sassiness, how he never gets tired of hearing her being snarky with him, how he never gets offended by the mean things she says. He loves how, his relationship with her is never boring and always so refreshing and just... loud. He loves it.

"I'm catching up with my friends," she brushes him off easily. "What does it look like I'm doing?"

Baekhyun looks at her with a kind of spark in his eyes. "What's wrong with you?"

She shrugs, cutting up her food. "Should have asked me that the moment I said I would be your girlfriend."

Baekhyun's lips twitch despite the annoyance burning in the pit of his stomach. "Wouldn't have made you my girlfriend if I knew you were so..."

"Nice?" the girl sneers. "Smart? What, Baekhyun?"

The two of them do not notice the side glances the others are giving them. They have long blocked out the nosy stares and nervous glances. From the eyes of people around them, they are in their own world, just spitting fire at each other, biting each other in the .

"If I knew you were so irritating," Baekhyun bites out.

The corner of her lips twitches. There's the Baekhyun she is used to. The cut of his words, the bite in his tone. Everything is so Baekhyun and she almost forgets about him talking about her so nicely.

"As if I would have been your girlfriend if I had known you were so..."

"So what?"

Their voices are getting louder and conversations at the table are slowly bating, just to focus on the couple fight. A little drama is always fun, it just feels uncomfortable that they're watching a couple fight — especially when this is the first time in four years seeing the girl.

"So ed up," she spits, the last word hanging in the air like an angry grenade flying through the air in slow motion.

Everyone is silent as they stare at the couple glaring at each other, stabs of ugly words piercing through their chests like swords. They notice the spark in both their eyes, like they are both driven and delighted by this fight they're having out in public. But when someone in the group awkwardly clears his throat, it is like the grenade has landed and blown up in everyone's face. They gasp when their lips collide, Baekhyun nipping earnestly at her bottom lip as if determined to bruise her. No one had expected that, no one would have expected them to kiss when they had been glaring daggers at each other, when they were spouting hateful words at each other. If anything, they had been expecting Baekhyun to hit her, or something. Not kiss her.

However, knowing that they're out in public, Baekhyun breaks the kiss and grins at her, eyes dancing with mischief and lips tugging at the corners naughtily.

"You're disgusting," his girlfriend mutters, ignoring his look even though her lips are quirked.

She turns to the table, ready to engage herself in a conversation. She frowns when she notices everyone's eyes on her and her boyfriend. Even Baekhyun looks confused. When had everyone stop talking? Had they been staring the entire time? When they only keep staring at them with confusion and shock written all over their faces, the girl speaks up.

"What?"

 

 

"I just don't get you," Baekhyun yells, following behind her into her apartment. They have been at each other's tails for the entire train ride back, with passengers constantly glancing at them in both amusement and horror. "You're mad because I said nice things about you? Are you ing psycho?"

"You know I am," the girl answers back, tone too calm for Baekhyun to understand that this is way beyond their usual playful fights.

"What is it about the nice things that you're mad about?" Baekhyun asks, no longer giving his words that edge. She doesn't answer him. "Baby."

The girl stops. The apartment is quiet. It feel like the world is now holding its breath just for this moment. The sound of Baekhyun's shoes against the wooden floorboards is loud, but calming. The girl finds herself stilling when Baekhyun slips his hands through the space between her arms and the sides of her body, wrapping his arms around her waist from behind.

"Tell me," he murmurs comfortingly into her ear, pulling her body into him so that her back rests on his chest. "Why is it bothering you, that I like to boast about my girlfriend to people."

The fire within her comes back again. She breaks his hold around her waist and turns around to glare at him. Baekhyun doesn't understand her. Sometimes he thinks he does, but when she does things like these, he realises that he doesn't at all. It only makes him love her more for her unpredictability. 

It's weird. People don't like unfamiliar things. People don't like the unexpected. People normally stay far, far away from active volcanos. But Baekhyun enjoys being close. He likes the fights, not just because it makes his life interesting but because the fights are with her and not about them, nor about her, nor about him. 

"I just hate that you turn into a liar when you're with other people," she says, tone serious and accusing.

Baekhyun frowns. "What? When have I ever done that?" he asks incredulously.

"You just did it, Baekhyun," she snaps, causing his frown to deepen. "Calling me smart... All that kind of ing lies."

"They're not lies."

"Yes, they are," she grits out.

"No," Baekhyun growls fiercely because why can't she just listen? The girl freezes when she hears the resoluteness in his voice. He takes one step towards her. "You are smart," he reiterates, making her heart pound yet making her blood boil. "Sweetheart... Baby, if you're not smart, we wouldn't have been able to last more than a month, much less two years. You know how much I crave for fights—"

"Of course you'd think I'm smart only because you think you're smart." She rolls her eyes.

Baekhyun grins, taking another step towards her. "Baby, you have a double degree in science and commerce," he reminds her gently. "Your stupid — but very handsome — boyfriend here only has a degree in arts." She doesn't say anything as she looks away. Baekhyun steps closer so that they're standing right in front of each other. "I really do think you're smart. And that is only one out of the many reasons why I love you," he says softly, sincerely.

"What about doing things for you?" she murmurs, glancing up at him. The fire in her eyes, her veins, her voice, they're all gone.

"Are you trying to get me to compliment you?"

She scowls at him, which only makes him snigger. He her hair gently, making her heart flutter. Every time he treats her like this, every time he treats her like she has feelings, like she is his baby, she feels her entire body heating up. Her veins throbbing just as her heart pounds in her chest. Every time he shows his love for her, her body goes on overdrive and she just knows that the honeymoon period between the both of them will never be over, only because it is postponed until the fights have ebbed away.

"Don't you do things for me? You do everything for me, baby," Baekhyun says anyway. "The laundry, the cooking, the cleaning up... You do them all for both our places. You make me look like a man who has his together" — the corners of her lips tilt just so slightly — "when really, I just have a capable woman like you, taking care of me." When she doesn't say anything else, he murmurs, "I meant every word I said to your friends about you."

"Then why do you never tell me those things?"

Baekhyun purses his lips. "I just... I don't want you to think that I'm mocking you."

"I thought you were," she admits quietly.

"Was that why you were flirting with the guys?" When she gives him a haughty look, he smiles softly, sliding his hand to cup the side of her face. "You know I mock you in other ways. Just not this." When she keeps quiet, Baekhyun caresses her cheek and tilts her head to look up at him. "You know, most girls like it when their boyfriends boast about them. Are you even a girl?"

The smile returns to her face. "I don't know, ask my boyfriend. He might have an answer."

"Dunno." He bobs his shoulders, tilting his head as he looks at her while trying to hide his smile. "Can't see anything girly about you."

The girl clucks her tongue. Baekhyun grins, going closer so that their lips are just grazing each other. Both their breaths are slow and controlled. They stare at each other like this, standing in the middle of the apartment, their faces close, their noses touching. 

"Of course you're a girl," Baekhyun whispers, breaking the silence. "You're my girl." 

An embarrassed smile falls on her face, making his heart swell with affection. He brings her face closer, pressing his soft lips on hers. She feels her heart fluttering in her chest while his enitre body heats up just at the touch of her lips. It is only a soft, short kiss, but when they pull away, they're both sort of breathless and very dazed like the love fairy has just sprinkled her magic over them and left. 

Baekhyun's lips part and just when she thinks he's going to say something sweet, he grins cheekily and mutters, "You smell gross." 

And just like that, the moment is over and the both of them are back at slapping each other with mean words, only to go to bed together that night, holding each other in their arms. 

 

 


Author's note:

Hmmm this storyline was way better and easier to write in my head LOL.. (  ゚,_ゝ゚) I hope you liked it though, it's the first time I'm ~sort of~ okay with my writing. Though I know it's short, it's only about 2.7k words. The next chapter will be longer, I'll probably go into their past like how they got together. Take this as a... prologue? Or an introduction to their relationship, I guess?

Feedback would be very much appreciated! Oh, and I wanna thank you guys for the subs!! Almost 1K even before I posted a chapter. You guys are amazing, really. Thank you!!! 

Till next time
xoxo