001.

Painting Greys

KRYSTAL

 

It was a strange morning to begin with. As I fluttered my eyes open, trying my best to not fall back to sleep the second it close,  I saw a dozen of white cotton candies floating on the sky which we all preferbably call as clouds. Though my mind tends to work at a slower rate in the mornings, especially when I haven't had my caffeine injections yet, I managed to figure out where I was. I was on a plane that's headed towards Korea, an enstranged home of mine. My sister, Jessica returned to Korea two years ahead of me due to our father's failing health. I chose to stuck around the States until highschool was over. Korean language, food, culture, all tasted foreign to me.

A green-colored book that I spent countless of hours reading last night was sitting on top of my laps, drawing my fingers near to flip the first page open. It contains all necessary information a foreigner should know about Korea and life in there. It was the only holy grail that I had.

"Ladies and gentlemen, as we start our descent, please make sure your seat backs and tray tables are in their-"

"Oh shoot. Hi was the only term that I had learned throughout the whole flight. Well, I guess I'm just going to wing it like I always do." I said to myself as I cut the pilot's announcement off. 

I blasted some music from a peculiar pink iPod that I was always seen with; I was never seen without that iPod on the palms of my hand.  Jessica bought it for me for my 16th birthday present. To make it more sentimental than it already is, she included a 'J' sticker pasted on the back of the iPod.  Though the sticker is wearing off already, I tend to glue it often so it wouldn't fall off without my presence of knowedge. Yes, I do love my sister. ' A lot ' is even an understatement to describe the sisterly affection I have towards her. Growing up, she was always a top-notch role model of mine.

The plane landed quite smoothly and soon I found myself back to a land, so foreign, that even the air felt weird to breathe in.  A fusion of excitement and fear erupted in me. I tried to remain calm and steady but soon my legs proclaimed its decision to not agree with mine.

Ouch! I winced in pain as my knees touched the cold, ceramic floor of the airport. This is what 14.5 hours of flight does to your legs; they turn them into jelly. I got up as quick as possible to avoid any unnecessary public embarassement.

Slowly but surely, I made my way out of immigration and soon found myself, stranded in a sea of people. On one side of the airport, I can feel a warm, fuzzy feeling radating towards me as my eyes caught up upon the reunification of a family. On the other side, I can feel the tension of those anxious eyes of the passengers who arrived late for their flight.  And then, in front of me, amongst a line of men and women of all age, sizes and professions, my eyes caught a familiar feminine figurine, looking at me with a wide grin planted on her pale face.

"Jess-"

My tongue slurred back in before I could even finish off my sister's name, the moment my eyes registered a fine-looking, masculine figurine standing beside Jessica. He raised his left arm and swayed it in a left-right direction. He was waving at me. Who is he?

"Cat got your tongue, Kryssie?" asked Jessica as she approached me with a warm smile plastered on her face. With small, yet welcoming arms, she pulled me into a tight embrace as she tip-toed to match her height with mine. Well, growing up, I was always taller than Jessica by a few inches.  She has long blonde locks and a beautiful porcelain skin. Her hair competes with the sun's grace as she flips her hair away from her face, showing her beautiful face. She was wearing a blue denim top paired up with a plain, sophisticated leggings and a polished, sleek-looking boots. She majored in fashion design and I ultimately had no doubts regarding her fashion style; she aspires to have a renowned fashion line of her own and with a heart of a believer and a faithful sister, I believed in her with everything that I have. She was perfection in the form of a human. I can definitely agree that I had a lot of insecurities growing up, especially when my sister could possibly be the next miss universe runner up.  Well, Jess was everything a woman would ever want to be and everything a man would want.  I envied how she got her life figure out already right from the start, meanwhile I am here, struggling to find a spot in the society.  I wish I could at least be half of her. 

" I miss you, Jess." I uttered with a hint of sadness in my voice.  It was a happy moment to be reunited with Jess again, but the sadness of being away from her for 2 years was still a lot to take in. Beads of tears started to form in my eyes as I clenched onto her tightly. Life wasn't exactly easy in the States after she left my side.  Though I had the whole apartment all to myself, it wasn't easy managing it nor was it easy to live alone.  A short while after Jess left,  Jason and I parted ways. Jason was an ex-lover of mine, whom I caught cheating with my bestfriend.  It felt as though, I was walking across a busy streets, with my eyes glued on both sides of the street like an owl finding its prey,  with an airplane coming in with full speed.  It was a spiral of abysmal. 

" Hey, it's okay alright? I'm here.. with you. We're here together." she said in a nurturing voice, trying to assure me that everything is fine. She pulled away from the embrance, as she wiped my tears away with a single of her thumb. 

"Everything alright?" 

I bobbed my head towards the right, to see who popped that question up. It was no other, but that mysterious man who waved at me before. I examined him from top to bottom. He has a silky, black hair with a pair of earphones hanging from his shoulders. He was tall and lean, perhaps about 5'11" feet tall. He was wearing a plaid shirt with ripped, skinny jeans in a casual manner. His eyes are as round as almonds and his facial structures are incredibly smooth and soft for a man. He was, well, fine-looking.  Not to mention, well-dressed.  Is everyone in Korea a living form of perfecion?

"Oh yes, Sehun, we're doi-"

"Se, what?!!!" I exclaimed, unable to hide my amusement. My jaws dropped as wide as the size of a triple McDonald's Cheeseburger would be. I was in lost for words. Worst of all, my mind went blank like a blank canvas, untouched by its artist. Memories flashed into my head and everything else starts to unfold the identity of the mysterious man. 

The man, unable to hide his enthusiasm as well, laughed in response to my reaction. From the way, his eyes light up as he scans my shocked face, I know that this isn't the first time that he had seen my face. 

 


 

Who is Sehun to Kyrstal? What happened between them?  Would Krystal be able to cope with her new life in Korea?

Stay tuned for more xx. 

( P.S. this is the first chapter to Painting Greys. I hope you like it so far. It had been quite a while since I last write a fanfic, so I hope you would forgive me for any flaws that I made in this fanfic. Hope y'all enjoy the rest of the story! Have a nice day, all! xo.