Guardian Angel

Messenger of Death

Guardian Angel

Cho Kyuhyun hated just watching the human he was assigned to walk about. Lee Sungmin was destined to get himself killed. Crossing roads with his headphones on instead of watching the world around him. As his guardian angel, Kyuhyun’s job was to keep the human alive.

“He dead yet?” Hyukjae asked as he appeared beside the younger. Kyuhyun shook his head as he watched his human.

“Is Donghae dead yet?” Kyuhyun returned. It was no mystery the guardian’s own human was a walking dead man. So much like the brother he was watching over now.

“These Lee brother’s are destined for death.” Hyukjae laughed as he leaned back and closed his eyes. Kyuhyun glanced at Hyukjae with a sad look. His friend loved the human he watched over. Not the love like that of family or friends, but that of a true lover. The problem though, was that Donghae, the human he watched over, was dating a man named Siwon. And Siwon, was not a loving man. Everyday Hyukjae would weep for Donghae as he sat unseen, beside the human as he cleaned his wounds.

“Stop looking so worried Kyu,” Hyukjae ordered. Kyuhyun nodded as he returned his looks to Sungmin.

“Do you love him?” Hyukjae asked glancing at his friend. Kyuhyun said nothing making the older nod his head.

“You are cursed like me.” Hyukjae said just as Kyuhyun paled and looked at the mirror before him showing Sungmin laid out on the ground in a pool of blood as people surrounded him.

“What happened?” Hyukjae asked also seeing the scene before him.

“A car,” Kyuhyun replied before disappearing. Kyuhyun reappeared at Sungmin’s side, just as the EMT’s came to the scene.

“What happened?” Sungmin whispered making Kyuhyun look down expecting to see the human awake. What he found, was Sungmin’s ghost beside him.

“No,” Kyuhyun whispered as he looked at the confused man. Sungmin was a half dead soul as he was lifted inside the ambulance.

“What happened?” Sungmin repeated as he looked at Kyuhyun. The fear in those dark brown orbs hurt the guardian's heart.

“A car hit you.” Kyuhyun explained making Sungmin look surprised.

“Am I dead? Are you dead?” he asked, his voice filled with tears. Kyuhyun reached out and held the human.

“No, no not yet. I am your guardian angel.” Kyuhyun explained. It was rare for a guardian to meet their human before they were needed in the afterlife. Sungmin looked confused before moving to sit on a nearby bench.

“Guardian Angel? Hae! Oh no, I have to find him!”Sungmin panicked as he looked around.

“He is fine, his own guardian is watching him.” Kyuhyun said meaning for the words to be comforting, but Sungmin was still very upset.

“He has a guardian? Does that mean he is dead too?” Sungmin cried. Kyuhyun panicked as well.

“No, no, everyone has a guardian. You are just the first one to make it this long to the afterlife.” Kyuhyun admitted. His heart was beating as he got closer to Sungmin. The human was the thing he coveted in this lonely existence he had.

“I really have to find him.” Sungmin continued as he started walking back towards his home. Kyuhyun panicked as he tried to grab the human.

“You need to return to your body.” Kyuhyun insisted. Sungmin glared at the guardian before huffing out a long sigh and crossing his arms.

“You sure my brother is safe?” he asked. Kyuhyun nodded his head as Sungmin agreed to follow him. Just walking with the human seemed like a dream to him.

“You keep looking at me.” Sungmin said as they continued their walk. Kyuhyun blinked.

“It’s nothing,” it would always be nothing. The messenger of death himself would take away the temptation that was Lee Sungmin. The human continued to watch Kyuhyun as they made their way to the hospital. As they entered the hospital room, they found it filled with three people. Donghae, his boyfriend Siwon, and Hangeng, the man who spent a lot of time with Sungmin.

“Hannie is here?” the hopeful glee in Sungmin’s voice did not go unnoticed. Had the human have a crush the guardian missed? Kyuhyun felt the familiar twist of his heart as he watched the interaction.

“He actually came.” Sungmin whispered. Kyuhyun didn’t say anything as he watched Sungmin trace the features of Hangeng’s face.

“Are you ready to return?” it was rare death had not gotten him yet. Sungmin nodded as Kyuhyun walked over to the body bandaged on the bed.

“Just stand over yourself and fall down.” Kyuhyun instructed, watching as Sungmin followed his every word. When Sungmin’s body regained his ghost, Kyuhyun smiled. Perhaps, his human was never meant to be his, just as death had arranged it.