What Hurts the Most

Irreplaceable

"What hurts the most is being so close and having so much to say, while watching you walk away."- What Hurts the Most, Rascall Flatts

-

 

“Hey, Hoseok, who’s that?”

 

 Seokjin’s heart sank his stomach as Namjoon asked the dreaded question.  It was a scenario that he had prepared himself for, but that didn’t make it hurt any less.  His thoughts were swimming around and around in vicious circles.  ‘Why doesnt he remember me?  Why does he remember Hoseok and Taehyung but not me?

 

It hurt, it hurt really bad, but in his heart he knew it was for the best, so he plastered a smile onto his face and stepped forward a bit to answer Namjoon’s question. 

 

“I’m the person who found you when you fell, and called the emergency line,” he spoke softly, almost in a whisper.

 

“Well, thank you so much.  I owe you my life, stranger.  Without you, I could’ve died,” Namjoon spoke, and he was so serious that it almost made Seokjin laugh.

 

“You don’t have to thank me,” Seokjin said with a shake of his head, and his voice sounded sad to Namjoon, too sad.  “Well, I’m going to get going now.  I have work in,” he paused to look at his watch, “yikes, forty minutes.  Bye, Hoseok, bye Taehyung,” he said, bowing before briskly walking the hell out of that room.

 

“Bye, Seokjin hyung,” Taehyung chirped, and Hoseok offered a wave of his own.

 

After he was gone, Namjoon looked at his two remaining friends suspiciously, narrowing his eyes.  “How are you two so familiar with that guy?”

 

Hoseok stiffened and Taehyung started whistling, which was something he often did when he was uncomfortable.

 

“Guys?” Namjoon asked, his concern replacing his suspicions.

 

“He works in the bookstore across the street,” Hoseok offered.  “We see him sometimes,” he shrugged.

 

“Oh,” Namjoon accepted his answer and didn’t question any further, mainly because his head was killing him way too much to even attempt to think.  He laid back down and got comfortable, just staring at the ceiling and being quiet for a while.  Taehyung and Hoseok exchanged glances of immense relief, and Hoseok prayed silently to whoever was listening that Seokjin would be able to figure this out for himself, and finally stand up for the thing he wanted most.

 

-

 

Two days later, after taking some time off for his health, Namjoon was back at work at the flower shop, named Hoseoks Hydrangeas. It was early, well before time to open the doors, and he was sweeping the shop while Hoseok was in the back, working on pre-ordered arrangements that were to be picked up later in the morning.

 

Taehyung whisked in about twenty minutes late, still before the store opened, though.  He had breakfast for everyone, so Hoseok let his tardiness slide.  He always did, he was weak to food.

 

As Hoseok was getting his breakfast, he noticed that there was enough for four people.  He side-eyed his youngest employee, gesturing for him to come over out of Namjoon’s ear-shot with an angry looking index finger, curling menacingly in a beckoning motion.  “Why did you buy enough food for four people?”

 

“Force of habit,” Taehyung said sheepishly.  “He should be here later anyway.  A new book came in for you.”

 

“It did? Oh my gosh, I hope it’s that holiday themed gardening book I ordered-,” Hoseok buzzed with excitement before remembering himself, taking a deep breath and unruffling his own feathers to give Taehyung a look.  “Just, remember not to play matchmaker, okay? I know you and Namjoon are roommates and friends, but Seokjin has got to figure this out for himself, okay?  No matchmaker,” he warned, wagging his finger and giving a stern look.

 

“Geez, okay, okay.  I won’t~,” Taehyung said mischievously before bouncing away to the outside of the store to water the flowers while Hoseok slipped back to his arrangements, still wary of the youngest.

 

-

 

Seokjin stood outside of the flower shop doors for exactly four minutes and thirty-eight seconds, fighting himself on whether he should go in or not.  He had Hoseok’s book he ordered in his hand, so it was important that go in, but on the other hand, he absolutely did not want to see Namjoon.  He balanced his options before turning on his heel to walk back across the street to the bookstore where he could hide in peace.  He had almost made it back when he felt the heavy weight of the book in his hands, symbolizing his guilt, and he turned back around, ready to bite the bullet and just do it.

 

He stood in front of the flower shop, again, his hand shakily clutching onto the door handle before pulling it open and stepping inside.

 

“Hey, Hoseok.  I’ve got your book,” he called out looking around for Hoseok before locking eyes with Namjoon, who was sitting behind the counter with a biscuit in his mouth, his eyes widening when he saw Seokjin.

 

“Hey, you’re the guy from yesterday! Seokjin? Right?” Namjoon asked, scratching his head while eating his biscuit.  He had crumbs on the corner of his mouth, and Seokjin almost chuckled, almost.

 

“I’m Seokjin, you got it,” he smiled a miniscule smile.  “Do you know where Hoseok is? I have the book he ordered.”

 

“He’s in the back working on arrangements.  Want me to get him?” Namjoon asked, finally done with his biscuit.

 

“Yes, please.  If you don’t mind.” Seokjin’s polite smile was growing thin.

 

“No problem,” Namjoon cleared his throat.  “HEY HOSEOK! GET IN HERE!”

 

Seokjin winced a bit, Namjoon’s loud voice feeling so familiar and warm, but in the slightest bit pleasant to his ringing ears.

 

Hoseok came storming in a few seconds later, a daisy in one hand and a pair of clippers in the other.  “What, Namjoon? Can’t you see I’m busy-,” he stopped his rant when he caught sight of Seokjin with his book, and he squealed with excitement.

 

“There you are,” Seokjin grinned, holding out the book.

 

“Is that my 101 Festive Flower Ideas copy I ordered forever ago?” Hoseok charged towards the Seokjin, barely containing his excitement as he gently maneuvered the contents of his hands around to properly hold the book, squeezing it tight in his arms.  “I’ve been waiting for this book.  Halloween is coming up, and I want my flowers to be spooky.”

 

“Speaking of spooky flowers, Yoongi wanted to know if you would mind making a flower arrangement for the store for Halloween.  Within the next two days?” Seokjin asked, apologetically.

 

“He never gives me any time to do these arrangements.  Doesn’t he know I’m a busy man?” Hoseok sighed dramatically, pressing his head against the book as Seokjin patted his shoulder for support.

 

Namjoon watched this interaction carefully.  They seemed close for Seokjin just to be someone that Hoseok “saw sometimes”.  Something fishy was going on for sure. 

 

Taehyung wiped his brow as he came back into the store, coming to stand behind Namjoon.  He reached for a coffee and took a sip, looking at Namjoon.  Namjoon’s eyes were staring intently at something, so the youngest followed his gaze until he saw that he was looking at Seokjin and Hoseok.  Hoseok was holding his book between his legs while clipping a daisy before sliding the flower behind Seokjin’s ear.  Namjoon’s gaze was smoldering, but the two of them were in their own world.  Taehyung decided it was the perfect moment for him to intervene.

 

“Seokjin hyung! I bought your breakfast! Come eat it!” Taehyung called out, forcing Seokjin’s attention towards him. 

 

“Alright, thanks, Tae,” Seokjin grinned before walking over to the counter where the breakfast was, taking a biscuit out of the bag.

 

Namjoon just kept watching, shaking his head as he was completely dumbfounded.  Hoseok put a daisy behind Seokjin’s ear like it was normal.  Taehyung bought Seokjin breakfast and knew exactly what he liked.  Seokjin called Taehyung Tae.  Namjoon doesn’t even call him Tae.  Something fishy was going on for sure.

 

And Namjoon was determined to get to the bottom of it.

 

 

 

a/n:

Hello guys!!! Thank you for reading this story-

Weekly updates are a thing

Next chapter: Detective Joon on the case?

If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to comment!! 

See y'all next week