Part I

You're the "OH" to my NO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hansol liked parties to the extent that he plans other people’s parties for them without charge. But not everything can go his way. Like right now he’s having an argument with Chan, all because he wouldn’t let him be the one to plan for his birthday bash.

 

            “Come on man!” Hansol says in English. “Can’t you let me do this one for you? Please?”

 

            “Ya, stop it! I already told you that I was gonna plan my own party. But you are welcome to intervene with my other parties, though.” Chan starts stacking up his thesis papers and prepares to get up from the table.

 

            “Chan  . . . . please, I’ll die if you don’t let me do it!” Hansol was shushed by the librarian for the umpteenth time, and was asked, unkindly, to get the out of the room if he was going to continue being like that. He slung his bag on his shoulder and followed the younger one out of the library, giving the old lady a wink and nearly missing a book thrown by the pissed off librarian.

 

            “No is final, hyung. Now get going, I’m late for pre calc.” Chan waves goodbye to a defeated Vernon, but before he turns the corner he sticks his head out and reminds Hansol about his party later tonight. “It starts at 7:30 later, don’t be late, okay!” he answers with a weak “yeah” and heads sullenly back to class.

 

            The lesson was about poetry, and even though he liked poetry because it was one method he used for making some of his raps, he did not particularly enjoy the theme of the poem, which was about a young man confused about his uality, so he marries a woman but later on falls in love with the girls brother. He was sure about his, he knew he liked guys, but he wasn’t carrying a megaphone shouting “I’m gay” all around and he wasn’t particularly hiding in the closet anymore, he was more of a normal one, with people knowing what he was and people just accepting it. He couldn’t take enough of the lesson so he faked a headache and got a pass out of class. He headed for the empty staircase near the Science labs, laid on the floor and proceeded to drift into sleep. He was awaken by a heavy stomp of feet near his head.

 

            “What the hell are you doing sleeping there? I could have crushed you with these!” Hansol cracked his eyes open and saw that the kid was carrying three boxes of fragile lab equipment.

 

            “Oh, I’m sorry.”

 

            “Well, sorry wouldn’t have fixed anything if I ever did trip over and accidentally dropped these on you.” The red-haired boy puffs out his cheeks and slides by Hansol, carrying his boxes with him inside the laboratory and leaving behind a confused and sleepy Hansol by the staircases.

 

            The clock glowed 8:03 pm when Hansol suddenly woke up from his sleep, remembering Chan’s party. He was now struggling to put on clean jeans and a decent looking shirt, while fumbling for his phone and texting Chan that he was on his way, sorry he was late. After taking a look at the mirror, he makes a dash for the door and rides a taxi to the address Chan has texted him. After paying for the fare, two things surprised Hansol as he made his way out of the cab. One was the amount of people in that place and two: how successful Chan had been at throwing his party. He almost applauded the younger (key word: almost) as he entered the tightly packed entrance. He spots Chan instantly and makes his way over, shouting over the music in order to be heard.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter